scottydsntknow

2000 Mustang GT Steeda built #0048

Sold my mint 98GT in the fall, figured I'd wait 2 years and buy a Coyote. Also having a knee scope next week. So what better time than to go headfirst into a new project right? In all seriousness, when I saw this I felt that if it was as advertised it was one of those "finds" you always hear about but its always someone else that finds it. And it actually was as advertised so I jumped on it.

Has a blown motor, paid $5500 for it. Fully optioned with the Novi 2000 and everything. 34,800 original miles and garage kept until October of last year and then it just sat in a driveway because the previous owner blew it up 400 miles after he bought it.
20150502_173636_zpsgluoue9y.jpg
20150502_151854_zpsppd0omhj.jpg
20150502_151913_zpsph4yw8me.jpg
20150502_151920_zpsqbr8tebw.jpg
20150502_151902_zps9pt1z2hp.jpg
20150502_152032_zpsbn0ubdmu.jpg

Got a line on a 38k mile 2005 PI motor out of a Marquis for $500 locally and I'm going to pull the piggyback chip off the computer and get a SCT tuner for it and have it remote tuned by someone legit. Besides that... trans shifts like butter (car is still driveable but tap tap tap), suspension is tight, CLEAN underside and interior is a solid 9/10.

I did call Steeda and verify this is a legit car. Did not have the wing on the build sheet and someone removed the stripes at some point. Car is a sleeper as it sits IMO. Going to shoot for a safe 400-425 to the wheels and enjoy the hell out of it while I build up something for it on the side.

What do you all think? I feel I stole the car honestly. I know what KBB says, I also know this was a $40k car in 2000. I need to put $1000-$1500 into it to have a clean low mileage 400whp car. Also hoping to make a little of that back parting out the blown motor and the Snow meth kit it has on it.

I think $5500 for a special model with low mileage is a great pickup, blown motor or not. That car is incredibly clean, once the new motor is in, it'll be a damn fine new edge!

Thanks all.  I just got an archival copy of the buildsheet straight from Steeda today.  Everything matches up, VIN is good, even the freaking brakes/tires are original on this thing...  Only thing missing is the floormats which I can get new from Steeda still.  So definitely going to have to budget for some tires too... these are 15 years old lol.  Will keep them on until I get the car running.  However, the fact that the previous owner didn't replace them right away before he blew the motor... guy was definitely nice but I really legit don't think he had any clue what he had.  He took $1100 off his asking price literally without me having to say anything except "are you negotiable".  I honestly could not get to the bank fast enough, I was sure someone was going to snipe it from under me. 

Absolutely awesome find and amazing deal.  Can't wait to see progress on this one.

Sleeper with a Novi 2000, though?  Idk...  Those have to be one of the loudest centri's I've heard with my own ears.

Congrats on the pick up man! What an absolute steal you got! There's a bullitt around here for 5500 but it's got over 100k on it. You picked up a gem for sure!

Thanks all!  Very excited about the car.  Only real issue with it besides the blown motor is that the paint on the roof is peeling under/around where the pillar and sail panels rub up against it.  I've had this happen before, those exterior panels can vibrate and the paint flakes.  Also silver paint on these is notorious for issues.  Ordered $100 worth of stuff on paintscratch tonight to fix it and blend it and will be pulling the exterior panels shortly to make it easy. 

Next up is I found a complete upgraded Vortech aftercooler for $400 shipped.  Has a bigger CX Racing heat exchanger and I hear they bolt right onto the Paxton as the headunits have to be basically in the same exact place to work in the car.  I guess I'll find out.  Want to make this car into a sleeper until they hear the blower spool.  Granted, a 425whp 2V is not going to be "king of the street" by any means but I guarantee I'll surprise enough ppl to make this a real fun car. 

425 is definitely more than you normally expect to see out of a mostly stock looking new edge GT though, you'll raise quite a few eyebrows with this car when you get it back in good shape! And IMO even though we live in a world where people scoff at anything making less than 1000rwhp, 425hp is nothing to brush off. If you ask me, a 400-500rwhp car is more fun on the street than a 700-800rwhp car.

Yeah, hell I would surprise ppl with my PI swapped bolt on 98GT...  Had a nice wheel/tire setup and hooked real well on the street and I made more than one person panic and spin by getting a real nice launch at a light.  This car will probably make a few ppl cry.  Although that Paxton is not quiet... 

I said "eff it" to that aftercooler setup btw, CX Racing was able to get me the complete intercooler setup with BOV/Oil Cooler and an upsized inlet coupler to fit the Novi for $500 shipped to my door.  I'll have to drill a 3.5" hole for the intercooler piping with a holesaw and clock the blower and that's it. 

What else... MMD hood strut kit to replace the OOP Steeda kit with a missing and a collapsed strut is ordered and going to hear the Vic motor I want to get run on Monday or Tuesday if its still there in the yard.  38k mile Vic (marquis) motor out of an 05 for $500.  Need to find a cheap SCT3 with at least 1 unlock left and figure out wtf kind of piggyback chip is on the car, figure out the aftermarket alarm and pull the Snow Meth kit out and put it up for sale. 

I am really REALLY trying to get this car done and running like a top for the American Muscle show on 15 August.  Its only 1.5 hours from here and as nice as this car is and a low mileage numbered car from Steeda I think a lot of ppl would enjoy seeing it there as much as I'd enjoy taking it. 

Because i wont need it with the intercooler and 8-10psi.  also cash for other stuff and i dont like the idea of having to keep a tank full and buy fluid.  FMIC is zero maintenance and nothing to leak or run empty or a pump to go out.  why i also decided against a water/air aftercooler.

I am really REALLY trying to get this car done and running like a top for the American Muscle show on 15 August.  Its only 1.5 hours from here and as nice as this car is and a low mileage numbered car from Steeda I think a lot of ppl would enjoy seeing it there as much as I'd enjoy taking it. 

It'd be nice to see it in July if you were planning to come to Mustang Week and thought you might could have the car ready. Of course, I understand how much work is going into it, realistically. Good luck with everything, regardless.

That's really pushing it.  I just had my knee scoped but I'm up and walking again and its feeling better and better.  As soon as the paintscratch repair kit comes in I'm going to take care of the roof issue and then pull it out and back it in and pull the front bumper and start removing stuff from the front of the motor.  Whole blower will come off, rad out, want to get everything disconnected and get the new motor and CX Racing intercooler done as soon as possible so that's just done.  Then all the little stuff and working with a tuner to get a startup tune on it and make sure it idles fine. 

In the last few days I have ordered:

11" OEM Flywheel

Exedy Mach 400 clutch

ASPX Wideband

VRS (UPR) catted X pipe with wideband bung

Little misc stuff like new hood struts, clips for the shifter bezel etc... 

Clutch did feel good but I'm sure its original and while its all out that's the time to change it.  Plus the OEM clutch is not going to take 425 to the wheels like the bigger one I'm putting in rated for 510ft lbs at the flywheel.  Might do Energy mounts but the stock mounts are probably fine.  Again, easier to do while its all out. 

Also probably going to buy a Max Motorsports quadrant and a micro click adjuster once I verify the cable is OEM original and not some adjustable or parts store crap. 

Got a quote also for $75 per wheel to restore the Konig rims and I'm going to have to come up with some extra $$$ for tires but I'll cross that bridge once the car is running and I blow the treads off the original Nittos lol. 

I mean I'd LOVE to have it done by July... I think I might but it will not be in any condition to be doing anything besides early tuning and breaking in the clutch.  I'm going to grandma this car for a good 500-1000 miles after its all together and then take it to the track and thrash the shit out of it. 

Got the clutch, flywheel is in the mail, paint kit is still in the mail (grumble), new hood struts arrived today, wideband came in and the intercooler kit is coming tomorrow.  Also picked up an unmarried SCT X3 with 5 unlocks left for $210 shipped today.  Going to look at the 38k mile Vic motor tomorrow morning. 

I love the simple approach you're taking to this car.  Fix what needs to be done without going overboard.  It's going to be awesome when you're done!

If you ask me, a 400-500rwhp car is more fun on the street than a 700-800rwhp car.

Being a guy with an 800whp car, I can tell you that you're right.  You've got to be on an Interstate with a lot of room to really enjoy my car when it's turned up.  It's most fun around town just running on the wastegate and making a little over 500whp.

^Thanks, I am doing some reliability upgrades to it and doing some stuff that needs to get done now vs later...  Like upgrading to an 11" flywheel/clutch setup, doing the CX Racing intercooler setup etc...

Also found out the car has BBK tuned shorties on it tonight, not the stock manifolds.  Yeah yeah I've had the car for like a week and a half. I got it, had surgery like 3 days later lol.  Anyway, they look like they were the ceramic ones but like all BBK ceramic coatings I've ever dealt with they are flaking and rusting.  Not bad... I'll probably get them professionally blasted and coated locally since tuned shorties are def a bonus over the stock manifolds. 

Now for the big ticket... picked up a motor today.  2005 Grand Marquis 2V with 39k miles on it.  Having it delivered for an extra $25 so $525 plus tax plus delivery is around $575.  Came out of a car that an old person had which is why the mid 2000s Crown Vic variants are usually the best candidates for a new motor. 

Came out of a car that an old person had which is why the mid 2000s Crown Vic variants are usually the best candidates for a new motor. 

Yep, probably never saw more than 2000 rpm and 35mph its entire life lol.

Having it delivered for an extra $25 so $525 plus tax plus delivery is around $575.

Wow, that's an awesome price for such a low mileage PI motor!

Because i wont need it with the intercooler and 8-10psi.  also cash for other stuff and i dont like the idea of having to keep a tank full and buy fluid.  FMIC is zero maintenance and nothing to leak or run empty or a pump to go out.  why i also decided against a water/air aftercooler.

Methanol will help even with an intercooler and low boost,  Totally understand wanting to go as simple as possible, though.  

Great find!

Like I said I don't need the snow kit. Car will max out the stock internals with the fmic and a good tune. I also do not like having to worry about any fluid levels like that. Obviously besides fuel and all that...

Got pics of the motor, for some reason the regular website is not letting me paste in links...

20150513_112349_zpsl7syenjo.jpg

20150513_112339_zps5k0vkdxs.jpg

20150513_112357_zpshyklrcwk.jpg

Hopefully will be here today or early tomorrow. Then I get to removing the Vic specific stuff and cleaning.

Mid-Pipe showed up over the weekend.  VRS (they make the UPR ones) aluminized unit with cats and an extra bung for the wideband.  They did not have any stainless in stock and since its only 409 stainless anyway and I won't be driving the car in any bad weather unless I get caught in it... aluminized is fine.  Paying a premium for 409 stainless anyway meh... its not the good stainless.  IIRC most exhaust manufacturers used 304 in the early 2000s so hopefully the Bassani catback on the car is 304 stainless.  It looks brand new and is 15 years old lol.  The VRS pipe is very good quality and it supposedly has the best ground clearance of all the available mid pipes so we'll see. 

Paintscratch kit is coming tomorrow, going to have the car out in the driveway most of the day if its nice pulling roof panels and then Tuesday will be the day I hopefully get the flaking paint chipped back to where its not peeling anymore and then smooth it all out with red putty.  Wednesday will be sanding and everything and then start shooting it with the matched silver paint.  Hope to have the roof totally fixed by the end of the week and then spend most of Friday and the weekend prepping my garage for the motor pull.  Need to get this thing going, I'm sick of having it just sit. I am going to give the repair paintjob a solid 2 weeks to set back up before bolting the roof panels back on tho. 

It sounds ok at idle.  As soon as there is any load on it then tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap and its pretty loud.  I'll find out exactly what it is when I get the motor out and pull it apart.  Hopefully the heads are still good because I'm going to part that motor in there out.  People get scared by the Windsor heads for some reason... dunno why, they bolt right on and I will make sure to sell them with the valve covers so they are 100% plug and play for whoever gets them.  Also 34k original mile PI heads that look brand new...  Also need to pull and sell the Snow kit that's on the car.  I have a feeling if I price that right it'll go quick.  

I did get the roof panels off the other day, stupid Ford needed to like... seal these damn things properly because I have seen too many cars get like this and have had to do similar repairs around the sail panels before.  

20150519_172551_zpsrngmkvqe.jpg

20150519_172600_zpsdalzsmws.jpg

20150519_172714_zpslaxv38vu.jpg

20150520_121153_zpslodmjt4i.jpg

Keep trying to get the car pushed out do do this and it keeps either being stupid windy or cold and raining like today...  ugh...  I just want to get this thing backed into the garage and get started on the teardown of the front end.  

Welp... the fix of all the rust turned out great, primer laid down great... and then the flake of the new paint vs the factory paint was completely noticeable.  Looks great if you weren't looking for it but it would drive me bonkers every time I saw it and I can't stand that.  Plus when the light hits the car just right and you are standing behind it you can see it easily once you know its there. 

So vinyl roof wrap is showing up tomorrow.  Car will have a gloss black roof, black Steeda rocker stripes, will eventually find a black Steeda wing for it and then probably do a black vinyl hood decal and redo the black vinyl lettering in the bumper as its peeling.  Also want to do smoked tails or maybe Raxiom Icons if I can decide if I like them or not. 

Black roof will look great on this car.  Glad you're going gloss and not flat!  Do you have any pictures of the rust repair after painting?  ;)

No, I got pissed and sanded it back down to attempt a full panel paint and then just stopped, took a deep breathe and ordered the vinyl.  I eventually will get this entire car re-sprayed in a few years which is when I will also do an aftermarket hood and I'll keep an eye out in the meantime for a serviceable 99/01 Cobra front bumper. 

And yeah, gloss will look best.  Headlights are smoked and glossy, tails I will smoke or get Icons and those are glossy, Steeda rocker stripes are glossy, matte would just look out of place.  Gloss also gives the glass roof look. 

Hah yeah gloss.  Going to have it on tomorrow or Friday.  Got the new motor torn down to just a basic longblock without the intake on top.  Don't want to crack this intake when I put the load leveler chains on the motor to drop it in.  Lot of scrap metal Marquis parts lol... God that thing looked like it would be a nightmare to work on in the car... 

So besides doing the roof I am going to clean out my garage as best I can back the car in hopefully this weekend and shut it down until the new setup is in with a fresh startup tune.  Shooting to have this thing done for the AM show but dunno if that is realistic.  We'll see. 

AM vinyl was way too narrow.  They really should make it a half inch wider on each side at least and make ppl remove the roof panels to install it.  So I'm going to do that myself with a sheet of 3M vinyl and cut it to actually fit right.  Doing it because its like $500-$700 to do the roof and I am not going to take the car to paint and NOT get everything else fixed.  Also can't take it now because blown motor and the last thing I need is some body shop guy going for a joy ride when I do get it fixed. 

Found a 5x4 sheet of gloss black on ebay for $25, so screw paying $109 for the pre-cut stuff...  That will hopefully be in before next weekend and I can re-do this.  I swear to god this roof is driving me insane lol.  I guess if one non removable panel had to be messed up tho, this is the easiest one to deal with. 

Lol I've actually been waiting to get cleared to lift heavier objects so I can clean my garage and get ready for this thing.  I still need to get the vinyl on too... going to hit it heavy this weekend and have a 4 day weekend from the 2nd-4th to really crank out a good day working on it.  Goal is to get the motor out by early July and swap everything over and get the new one in pretty quickly after.  I'd like to have the whole shebang assembled and close to firing up for my birthday at the end of July. 

Cleared this week to do squats again at the gym so I'm taking that as "go ahead and move the heavy shit out of your garage" from the Dr.  Progress at least on prepping the car will be made this weekend.  

I swear to god I'm going to get that garage cleared out, back this thing in and hopefully get the vinyl on and the front clip pulled off.  Fenders will be getting removed too and then its parts bags and hopefully ready to yank the motor in a few weeks.