Blackmage

Color your Ford emblem

Ok guys, decided to puts with my emblem tonight to make it black. Here is how it turned out, it looks awesome and im going to do a small write up for you guys so you can do it to your with no problems! You can even make it any color you want to, all you need is some of the touch up paint or w/e from autozone that matches your car.

IMG00025.jpg

Ok guys here a small step by step on how to do it.

You will need:

-Hair Dryer

-Fishing wire, or dental floss

-Isopropyl alcohol 99% works best(or something to clean up all the adhesive off the trunk and emblem)

-small screwdriver, or pick of somesort

-masking tape

-150 grit sandpaper

-400 grit sandpaper

-Paint color of your choice(i used Dupli-Color Universal Black from advance auto)

-Glue of somesort(rtv, superglue, gorilla glue, the one of your choice)

-some 3M tape

1. Ok so first we are going to pull off the Emblem. (there should be two pins on the backside of the emblem also, so that means two holes in the trunk lid also) Using the hair drier go ahead and heat up your emblem on the back of the trunk lid. The glue will start to become soft from the heat and it should start to peel off, or if you need some help use the floss or use the fishing wire to help cut the emblem off. 

DSC08571.jpg

DSC08574.jpg

2. Now that you have the emblem off, this becomes the tricky part. Some people might not feel safe using a hair drier to heat up the emblem to get it apart, so i did it two ways. The first way is to use the hair drier to heat up the glue holding the ford emblem together, the second way is to run it under hot water for about 10 min. (MAKE SURE IT IT FULLY HOT!!!! OTHERWISE IT WILL BREAK WHILE TRYING TO PRY THEM APART!!) Either way will work fine, but i think the hair drier heats it up quicker and better. After you have given it time to heat up pretty well(all depends on your drier), get your pick or screwdriver between the blue emblem and the chrome pieces, and the blue oval should pop out. Be careful not to scratch the clear plastic while doing this. You may need a second hand so if you get it popped up a little bit, you can have a second hand push in another small screwdriver to help pry it the rest of the way out. 

DSC08593.jpg

-Note -- I just did it on another one today and the lettering was peeling inside of it and the glue on the backing pulled the silver "ford" with it. This is kind of a tricky fix now, you will have to get the plastic fully clean, even the letters, then paint in the letters, then resand the back of it after the paint is fuly dry, then paint the back of the emblem.

DSC08580.jpg

3. Now that you have the emblem apart you should see that there is glue in there, if you want to clean it out now, or you can leave it, doesnt matter. Then grab your 150 or 100 grit sandpaper and start sanding the backside of the blue emblem. The silver of the "Ford" and the oval will stay there because it is recessed into the plastic. So as long as you dont press the sandpaper into the recesses it will stay there. So go ahead and sand all the blue away. When done you should be able to hold it up to the light and see to make sure you got all the blue out. (the plastic will be hazy which is perfectly fine!!!) when i did mine there was still a little blue outline where it met the silver "ford" and the oval, so i used the 400 grit sandpaper to get in there and carefully get the rest of the blue out. Make sure to clean it up under some warm water afterwards.  Also make sure your not sanding with the plastic on a hard or rough surface, you will scratch the crap out of the face of the plastic!!!

DSC08582.jpg

DSC08583.jpg

4. Now the fun part. I used the scratch fix 2 in 1 from advance auto so it has a small brush inside of it. now it was kind of difficult to mask off just the front, so i didnt do it. I just put some tape on the front of the emblem to hold it to the desk so the sanded and cleaned part is facing up. Now you dont need to be an artist here. Grab that paint and slap it on. As long as you keep it from running down the sides of the emblem you should be fine. If any does get on the "side" of it, no biggie, you wont see it. If it gets on the front, just clean it off asap. I just put the paint on in one thick coat to make sure it got all the plastic. After you think you have it pretty well coated go have a beer and let it dry. (you could probably use a spray can of paint but then you would have to mask it off and do it i a garage or outside or something)

DSC08592.jpg

5. Ok so after it dried a little bit you can pull it off the table and get a good look at it. If your happy with it your almost there, if there is a clear spot, put some more paint on it. Then i would let it dry for an hour or so at least. Now make sure all the glue is cleaned off of the chrome backing part of the emblem so you can get the new glue to stick. Now ther are two alignment pins here too, so make sure you have the emblem in there right, and put the glue in sparingly, dont want it leaking out of the edges, and press your emblem into it. I used some tape and wrapped the emblem together to hold it in place, or a clamp would work, or a rubber band. 

DSC08588.jpg

DSC08578.jpg

6. Now cut out some 3M tape to the desired size of your emblem and go put that bad boy back onto the car and post some pics! Hope this all works for you guys. 

DSC08590.jpg

DSC08591.jpg

Nice write-up!  To mask of the front of the emblem if you decided to spray the color of choice on try using liquid mask.  Spray the back side then just peel away the liquid mask from the front.

Now go wash that bish!

Nice write-up!  To mask of the front of the emblem if you decided to spray the color of choice on try using liquid mask.  Spray the back side then just peel away the liquid mask from the front.

Now go wash that bish!

haha i did this like 6 years ago i think.  car was my DD in college and it was in winter :(

haha i did this like 6 years ago i think. car was my DD in college and it was in winter :(

I was about to ask if your tag was expired too. Makes sense now.

Now to decide if I want to do this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

fyi - a quick pass on a buffing wheel with a little polish will take the surface scratches the top to make it look new.

I think it would help for sure. I do have a new one sitting on my shelf that I just have never gotten around to doing.

Sent from my iPhablet

If you have access to  buffer you could even do it on the car.  Don't put much pressure on it as it doesn't take much really just a pass on the top/middle, and the bottom/midde and then maybe one quick one across the face and it will literally look brand new. 

Dang, man. Such dedication. I had no idea a person could even do this. I always thought the Ford emblems were just magical ovals full of mystery.

I forget where i first saw this, but it definitely helps the look of the back end of my car.  Whole car black, and then theres this bright blue oval sticking out like a sore thumb.

I forget where i first saw this, but it definitely helps the look of the back end of my car.  Whole car black, and then theres this bright blue oval sticking out like a sore thumb.

and that's exactly why i deleted it when i painted the car.

and that's exactly why i deleted it when i painted the car.

I should have done the same, but i didnt have the leet skillz to fill holes lol