RockinHrse_98

Coilover Issues

I have had Bilstein HD dampers on all 4 corners and Maximum Motorsports front coilovers with 10-275 springs on my 98 GT for about 9-10 months, maybe 3-4k miles. It’s just a street driven car, with occasional aggressive driving on curvy  roads, things like that. The car is not very low, but I have been having issues with the front wheels wanting to bottom out in the inner fender wells when I hit a bump on the highway. Every time I hit a bump, the driver side spring wants to dislodge from the upper perch and rattles against the adjuster sleeve until I jack up the car and re-seat it.  Are my springs too short / too soft or something? Or is it because the struts are sn95 length struts? What's the deal?

Here's a picture of how the car sits.

11155062_598607123608255_554531711788756

I run 12-350 springs on my front coil overs, 10" isn't as common to see up front. The only time mine ever come unseated is when the car is jacked up and the suspension is at full droop. I can't say for sure what is causing your spring to dislodge from the upper perch while driving though. Even over a bump, the shock should be collapsed enough that there's little room for the spring to come out. And really, even if you have shorter springs, that really just means you have your lower perch threaded up 2" higher so it shouldn't cause that issue. Maybe a stupid question, but the spring hasn't somehow snapped off a coil or something has it? Maybe a defective spring? That's a weird one.

Regarding the fender rubbing, I'm guessing you mean you're contacting the fender liners? That's just how it goes on lowered sn's. My front fender liners have holes all over them. When I first did coil overs, I got quite used to the smell of burnt plastic as they "self-clearanced" themselves. Now the low hanging bumps are gone and there's no more rubbing lol.

I'm with Dan, I never had an issue with my 10" springs unseating. If the coils don't look messed up, then I'd try running a limiter on thr front end like drag cars do

A 10" spring is a little short, but as Dan said, it shouldn't hurt anything.  How much preload are you running on the spring?  Measure the spring with a load on it and with the spring at free length.  Some cars don't take a whole lot of preload on the spring, depending on the rate.  If the spring you have, doesn't take enough preload to get you to ride height (basically meaning it's a little on the heavy side), the spring can come unseated when the suspension rebounds.  

I run 12-350 springs on my front coil overs, 10" isn't as common to see up front. The only time mine ever come unseated is when the car is jacked up and the suspension is at full droop. I can't say for sure what is causing your spring to dislodge from the upper perch while driving though. Even over a bump, the shock should be collapsed enough that there's little room for the spring to come out. And really, even if you have shorter springs, that really just means you have your lower perch threaded up 2" higher so it shouldn't cause that issue. Maybe a stupid question, but the spring hasn't somehow snapped off a coil or something has it? Maybe a defective spring? That's a weird one.

Regarding the fender rubbing, I'm guessing you mean you're contacting the fender liners? That's just how it goes on lowered sn's. My front fender liners have holes all over them. When I first did coil overs, I got quite used to the smell of burnt plastic as they "self-clearanced" themselves. Now the low hanging bumps are gone and there's no more rubbing lol.

That's what doesn't make sense. And it is only on the driver side. I have to jack the car up every couple weeks and reseat the spring. I've taken them out a couple of times, but everything seems to look fine. Not broken and no marring like they're bottoming out or anything. Oh, and they're Hypercoil springs.

Yeah the fender liners. I kind of had a feeling that was just what was going to happen haha. That part doesn't really bother me, , just a curiosity

I'm with Dan, I never had an issue with my 10" springs unseating. If the coils don't look messed up, then I'd try running a limiter on thr front end like drag cars do

Heck I've never really heard of it happening. It's only on the drivers side also. 

A 10" spring is a little short, but as Dan said, it shouldn't hurt anything.  How much preload are you running on the spring?  Measure the spring with a load on it and with the spring at free length.  Some cars don't take a whole lot of preload on the spring, depending on the rate.  If the spring you have, doesn't take enough preload to get you to ride height (basically meaning it's a little on the light side), the spring can come unseated when the suspension rebounds.  

Not really sure. I'll have to check that when I get the car back.

Thanks for the tips

You could call MM as well.

I might have to do that. Just figured I'd see if anyone else had any ideas.

MM recommended 10" springs to me for street use, I'd be really surprised if that was the issue. I don't see how the spring could possibly be coming unseated though, you'd have to really hit a hell of a bump. Even then it should reseat itself like it does when you let the car down off jack stands. Do you have any pictures or anything of the problem area? I wonder if something isn't installed right.

Maybe that little piece of sheet metal up in the strut tower, that mm makes that little tool to bend down out of the way never got bent down? And it's getting hooked on the spring and pulling it off the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car will be running 10'' - 400lb here in the next week. Ill report back any major findings. But that is the first time I have ever heard of the spring coming unseated on one side just going over normal bumps.

Odd, but the first thing I would have done would have been to call MM 

Put the Coils on last night. Seems to be driving extremely well. No noises at all. 

Going in for alignment tomorrow so wont be pushing too hard until then. But I dont forsee my springs coming unseated. And they are the 10'' as well. 

So at this point I would call MM or take everything apart and redo it and see what you might have missed