GearGambler

Lets talk Distributors

On the way home last week car was stumbling.  About a block from home, it finally died.  My wife jumped in our expedition and we dragged the 94 home the rest of the way.  I would be cranking it when making turns so that the PS pump would run.  

When I got it back to the house, I did some checking.  I have the original stock coil that is known good (there is a mallory coil installed).  I swapped those and still no start.  I also have a known good foxbody distributor with the TFI on the side of it.  I stuffed that down in the fender well and unplugged the TFI, plugged it into the fox distributor - still no start.  Next I unplugged the distributor coil wire and put a spark plug in there.  I had someone crank it and it just didn't seem right to me.  there was a 1-2 second pause in between sparks.  The coil should be sparking way more than that.  I suspected the PIP sensor in the distributor.  

After doing some research about replacing the PIP in the stock distributor, I realized that it would turn into a complete rebuild of the stock distributor.  After feeling how much play is in the stock distributor shaft I was convinced it would need an overhaul - Which I'm OK with. 

I wound up going with a summit street / strip distributor.  

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850410

I've heard good things about the mallory and MSD and this summit distributor was almost half the price.  Also, my 94 is basically stock motor (for now).  What distributor are you pushrod guys using? 

It showed up yesterday and I installed it (I'll do a quick how-to on the R and R of the distributor also).  It started right up.  I set the timing and realized I was 1 tooth off on the distributor gear, so I pulled it and stabbed it again.  The throttle response is noticeably more sharp!  

Note:  That stock distributor and PIP sensor lasted 21 years and 237k miles!!  

Ignition setup:  Moroso Ultra 40 race wires, autolite#24 plugs, Mallory 29214 coil, and a stock foxbody motorcraft TFI modified to fit.  

I may pick up the dyna mod TFI to see if that offers anything else.  If for nothing else I can keep that motorcraft TFI as a spare.  

A few questions for discussion!

Anyone using the dyna mod TFI?  If yes, did you notice a difference after the install?  

What distributor are you guys running?  Thoughts / experiences (good or bad)?

Anyone rebuild the stock distributor?  Where do you get the parts / part numbers?

EDIT:  Updated below with my Dynamod experience

I only run stock distributors.  Have never had any luck with aftermarket ones.  

We would take stock internals and throw them into MSD billet one's when the MSD's would crap out (Might Spark Daily).

i've had good success with my MSD ditzy and coil.  i just put a screamin demon coil in because it was black vs. red.  silly but it was easier to buy a new one than try and paint the old MSD one.

I've got a msd pro billet along with their street fire coil on an otherwise stock ignition system and haven't had an issues thus far

That streetfire coil left me stranded once.  Tow truck brought me home.  I bought a mallory coil to replace it and it's working great!  

So I installed the Summit distributor.  I was a tooth off originally, then stabbed it again dead on.  timing set at 10*.  There is a noticeable difference in throttle response, and the higher RPMs seem more stable.  I only have a few hundred miles on it, but its working just fine.  

On another note, I ordered the Dynamod PDI Ignition Module.  From what I'm reading it is supposed to have a longer dwell, which should increase the output of the coil.  My other thought is that the current module that is installed is a modified foxbody TFI - and I dont know how old that is.  I'll install the dyna mod and keep that fox module as a spare.  Just a piece of mind before the 650 mile 10 hour trip!  

I still plan to rebuild the stock distributor and do a write up on that.  Sometime when I have some spare cash laying around for the motorcraft pickup and some time to pull it apart and re-assemble.

Right now, I'm fighting my MSD distributor.  I can't get it to sit down flush on the block, the stock one fit just fine....

try rotating the oil pump driveshaft.  I've had some success with that.  just be REALLY careful not to drop anything into the block!  

try rotating the oil pump driveshaft.  I've had some success with that.  just be REALLY careful not to drop anything into the block!  

Tried that, didn't work.  However, taking the rotor off of the shaft and giving the clip a light tap, fixed the problem!

Tried that, didn't work.  However, taking the rotor off of the shaft and giving the clip a light tap, fixed the problem!

glad you got it worked out!  amazing how persuasive a hammer can be sometimes... LOL

UPDATE!  I bought the dynamod TFI module and installed it before heading to Mustang Week.  The one that came out had no issues at all - a stock motorcraft TFI that I had taken off of a foxbody distributor and modified to fit the heat sync.  After taking it for a test drive I noticed a stumble between 4-5k RPM WOT.  I didn't want to swap it while I was in MW, but I did when I got back.  Stumble went away.  So that motorcraft TFI is staying in there.  I have another stock fox distributor with a known good TFI (tested it on my car by stuffing the distributor in the fender well and plugging it in), so that will be the spare.  

That Dynamod TFI is now in the hands of USPS on the way back to summit.  One more thing - Summit wouldn't help me out with the 25$ shipping and handling I spent - so I have to eat that.  For comparision - Amazon has a ZERO questions asked full refund if you buy anything via Prime.  If I can shop via Amazon, that's where I'm going.