Sergmeister

Best sounding exhaust for a 1998 V6

• Supporting Member

Sounds good but I'm going for dual exhaust. Would you happen to have a video?

It was dual and nope, this was in 99 and we used potatoes to communicate then hahah. I have since sold it.

• Moderators

At the risk of sounding like a douche, the deep muscle car sound comes from a V8; the V6 won't ever sound like that.  What @fiveohwblow has said is what several friends did back in the day to their sixxers though and sounded pretty good.

At the risk of sounding like a douche, the deep muscle car sound comes from a V8; the V6 won't ever sound like that.  What @fiveohwblow has said is what several friends did back in the day to their sixxers though and sounded pretty good.

you douche sounder 

Ok great I'll check them out. Yes I've stated before that I know that they won't sound exactly like a muscle car. I just want something close to it since when I got my first Mustang it came with flowmasters and it sounded like a Japanese car. I want to do it right the first time.

• Moderators

Ok great I'll check them out. Yes I've stated before that I know that they won't sound exactly like a muscle car. I just want something close to it since when I got my first Mustang it came with flowmasters and it sounded like a Japanese car. I want to do it right the first time.

That's about all a sixxer will sound like is more what I was getting at... unless you do some serious motor work.  @Number Tew had a stroked V6 that sounded not too far removed from a V8

That's about all a sixxer will sound like is more what I was getting at... unless you do some serious motor work. @Number Tew had a stroked V6 that sounded not too far removed from a V8

Well I do plan on doing some motor work in the future. I just want to find something that sounds decent andsounds loud (not obnoxiously loud).

Only my opinions and my experiences:

On my V6 I run a custom h-pipe with stock cats out to Flowmaster Super 44s and I think it sounds nice...probably a very deep, aggressive sound for a V6 with factory manifolds/cats. Before this set-up I ran the Flowmaster kit that bolts up to the factory y-pipe and uses what I believe are 40 series mufflers. With the old set-up and nowadays I've received a good amount of the "is that a V8/that sounds good for a V6" comments and never any criticism.

I honestly have never thought Flowmasters sounded bad on a V6. They have some rumble to them, never reminded me of the import sound themselves although the V6s always retain some degree of non-V8 sound. Plus the Flowmaster stuff (or generic equivalents) is relatively cheap. I'm not sure what the set-up was on the Mustang you had with Flowmasters.

Magnaflows I know are popular on the V6s. The set-ups I hear always sound too high-pitched for my taste. I don't think glasspacks sound that good.

Minimal experience with other brands. If you change mid-pipes I would suggest running an h-pipe as opposed to the x-pipe for the sound you're going for.

Unfortunately I don't have any exhaust clips at the moment.

Hope this helps you some!

You need to check out orange's build and 9838's builds. They both sound good and have audio clips to hear. Orange is heavily modded but will still give you and idea of what you can make it sound like.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

How do I look them up?

Only my opinions and my experiences:

On my V6 I run a custom h-pipe with stock cats out to Flowmaster Super 44s and I think it sounds nice...probably a very deep, aggressive sound for a V6 with factory manifolds/cats. Before this set-up I ran the Flowmaster kit that bolts up to the factory y-pipe and uses what I believe are 40 series mufflers. With the old set-up and nowadays I've received a good amount of the "is that a V8/that sounds good for a V6" comments and never any criticism.

I honestly have never thought Flowmasters sounded bad on a V6. They have some rumble to them, never reminded me of the import sound themselves although the V6s always retain some degree of non-V8 sound. Plus the Flowmaster stuff (or generic equivalents) is relatively cheap. I'm not sure what the set-up was on the Mustang you had with Flowmasters.

Magnaflows I know are popular on the V6s. The set-ups I hear always sound too high-pitched for my taste. I don't think glasspacks sound that good.

Minimal experience with other brands. If you change mid-pipes I would suggest running an h-pipe as opposed to the x-pipe for the sound you're going for.

Unfortunately I don't have any exhaust clips at the moment.

Hope this helps you some!

I believe I had Flowmasters 40 on a dual exhaust with X-pipe with no cats. I believe this was the cause of it sounding like a rice rocket. Once I got the cats on I switched to Magnaflow with an H-pipe. It sounded ok but I want something more aggressive and louder.

My car sounds like a 351 Windsor, however without a big cam it will be hard to replicate that.  I have a set of pace setter long tubes, a custom offroad h pipe, and Mac mufflers out to 3.5 inch tips.

The problem with the v6, at higher rpm it will never sound near a v8, if you want that, you need to buy a v8.  at idle, people constantly told me how awesome it sounds (way more compliments than I ever get in the coyote)

*sigh* I cant wait till money allows me to pull the old girl outta storage.

My car sounds like a 351 Windsor, however without a big cam it will be hard to replicate that. I have a set of pace setter long tubes, a custom offroad h pipe, and Mac mufflers out to 3.5 inch tips.

The problem with the v6, at higher rpm it will never sound near a v8, if you want that, you need to buy a v8. at idle, people constantly told me how awesome it sounds (way more compliments than I ever get in the coyote)

*sigh* I cant wait till money allows me to pull the old girl outta storage.[/quote

Holy cow he lives!!! Where have you been man?

Sent from my iPhablet

My car sounds like a 351 Windsor, however without a big cam it will be hard to replicate that.  I have a set of pace setter long tubes, a custom offroad h pipe, and Mac mufflers out to 3.5 inch tips.

Video or Audio or it didn't happen.

I keed, I keed...

Holy cow he lives!!! Where have you been man?

I've been super busy with work/police academy.  I haven't had much time for anything at all.  But school is almost over!  Wooo!

Video or Audio or it didn't happen.

I keed, I keed...

I think someone might know where to find some audio of it, I deleted my youtube and stuff with it.  You don't know me so it's alright if you don't believe me.

Here is a dyno clip of my car

https://youtu.be/SgPvIPmtTRo

Divorced duals all stock cats, 99-04 magnaflow catback bbk 56mm throttle body and bbk cai

Great thanks 9838stang!

The problem with the v6, at higher rpm it will never sound near a v8, if you want that, you need to buy a v8.  at idle, people constantly told me how awesome it sounds (way more compliments than I ever get in the coyote)

Yeah I've noticed that. Sucks that it only sounds the best at idle. What cam did you get? I am planning on gettting a cam in the future. I'll buy a V8 when I make money like the wolf of wall street lol jk

What do you guys think of Thrush mufflers? I'm thinking of going with those.

I've not heard of them.  Basically I would just say you don't want something too loud.  I took a huge risk by not running cats, I got lucky.

The cam I used was an off the shelf comp cam 218/226 .500 lift.

Bear in mind mine sounds much throatier from the boar and stroke.  4.3L

And I am only building the V6 because I have a vision lol.  Prices have come down so  much now it's really not hard to get a GT if that's your end goal.

• Moderators

Mother of God, he's alive!

4 hours ago, Serpent said:

lots of videos on you tube. after listening to a bunch, chose the mac system for my son's 04 3.9 car. sounds good. 

Yeah I've heard of the mac. Is the system on your son's car an h-pipe or x-pipe?

2 hours ago, Sergmeister said:

Yeah I've heard of the mac. Is the system on your son's car an h-pipe or x-pipe?

neither...it still has the stock cats into a Y and the mac has a Y and splits to two.

On 6/7/2017 at 10:04 PM, Sergmeister said:

Also fellas I know this is an old thread but I no longer have the 98. I have a 2002 V6 now and I was wondering if anyone knew the part number for the Thrush Welded muffler? Thanks.

going to depend on what you are replacing. they sell them by size of pipe and inlet and outlet location. are you talking for the stock muffler replacement?

here is an example:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Thrush-Hush-Super-Turbo-Mufflers/

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:25 AM, 95riosnake said:

Damn, who else misses Sir Tew?

Well, miss no more big boy!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Sergmeister said:

Also fellas I know this is an old thread but I no longer have the 98. I have a 2002 V6 now and I was wondering if anyone knew the part number for the Thrush Welded muffler? Thanks.

I am unsure of the part number.  The trick with the V6 is you don't want it to be too loud.

I have Pacesetter Long Tubes, and custom H pipe.  I think one side is a MAC muffler, the other side is a Flowmaster (one of my MACs rusted and fell apart) with all custom piping around the rear suspension (pain in the rear).

It sound great!

On 6/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, Number Tew said:

Well, miss no more big boy!

I am unsure of the part number.  The trick with the V6 is you don't want it to be too loud.

I have Pacesetter Long Tubes, and custom H pipe.  I think one side is a MAC muffler, the other side is a Flowmaster (one of my MACs rusted and fell apart) with all custom piping around the rear suspension (pain in the rear).

It sound great!

welcome back :)