RideTech_Ryan

05 Saleen Project is a GO

So I figured since I have gotten the go from my better half, and parts are starting to roll in, I figured I would contribute to this kick ass forum on a personal level!

post-835-0-67427200-1437662109_thumb.jpg

So to tell the back story, April 27th 2013 I was a Commercial Sales Rep for Advance Auto Parts working 25 minutes from home.  It was a nice sunny day so I figured I would get the car out and enjoy it.  It was coming off of a fresh Vortech V2 rebuild and I needed to get some miles put on it.  At this time my wife was 6 months pregnant with our twin girls and was doing great carrying 2 healthy very active little girls.  I was finishing up a normal day at work and I get that phone call that you never want to get.  My wife was in full blown labor 3 months early.  So what do I do?  Being that Hwy 50 is basically a straight shot from my work to home I hop in the car and blast home.  So somewhere around the 150mph mark the supercharger started squalling extremely loud and I all but lost boost.  I walk in the hospital behind my wife and mother-in-law literally.  I was 25 minutes away and they were 8 blocks away from the hospital and basically arrived at the same time.  I got the "how the hell did you get here so fast" from them both and then a prompt cursing for driving so fast.(I chalk it up to the hormones and the fact that she was in pain)  The girls were born 3 days later at a womens hospital and sent directly to the NICU.  Unfortunately 15 days later we lost on of my daughters(Paisley) do to complications with her kidneys.  We still had my other daughter(Kalli) still fighting.  3.5 months later we finally got to take her home.  So with a premee newborn and a wife that was still recovering from an emergency C-section and still grieving my priorities stayed with them.

That winter my wife kicked me out of the house because she said that i needed a break and that I needed to go have a therapy session in the shop.  So I finally tore into the Saleen to figure out what the damage was.  Upon further inspection I found that the "BOV" had failed.  This was causing the boost to put pressure on the impeller and basically bent the impeller shaft and caused the impeller to rub itself apart on the internal casing of the supercharger.  So with a savings that was substantially depleted living an hour from home for 3.5 months parts would have to wait.  A couple of weeks later we found out that my wife was pregnant again with my son Royce.  So with life blessing me with a son my focus turned towards providing for my family and the car took the back burner without hesitation.  

Fast forward to last week.  I get the go a head from the wife to start ordering parts.  With the numerous problems that I had with the Vortech, I decided to change directions as far as the wind press is concerned.  Josh told me that a friend of his had a certain supercharger which peaked my interest.  So I pulled the trigger.  Below is a picture of said supercharger.  I will let the peanut gallery figure out what I am working on :P.   

post-835-0-00621200-1437662071_thumb.jpg

Not sure why the supercharger pic keeps posting like that.

so sorry to hear about losing your daughter ryan that had to be very hard man! 

will there be any ridetch'ness going on with this build? maybe some air ride? or is this car too rare/valuable to tear that much into it? 

so sorry to hear about losing your daughter ryan that had to be very hard man! 

will there be any ridetch'ness going on with this build? maybe some air ride? or is this car too rare/valuable to tear that much into it? 

Thanks man we were lucky to get to bring one of them home so I am extremely thankful for that!

Rare? Valuable? That means nothing to me.  I can hear some psst. psst in my future.

that looks like trouble... and a ton of fun :D    

Quite the back story behind all of it too.  So sorry for your loss.  

Thanks

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. One can not imagine without going thru such a loss

And with that said, build the hell out of that beast!!! Looks like you got a good start with that toy and cars were meant to be built, not preserved!!!!!!! $-)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Agreed I bought the car to have fun with not to collect.

can you enlighten us to the overall plan of the build?  

hmm its an Eaton supercharger

The good old days of Advance commercial sales!

Looking forward to your progress on this, and like the rest said, very sorry to hear about your little one.

Good old days?  You must have had a better experience than I did lol :banging:  

Sorry to hear about your loss, but on a bright note it sounds like you've been blessed with a wonderful family now and I hope everything is going well for you.

I'll be very interested in this build, but then again, you had me at "Saleen" lol

I totally understand the car hitting the back burner, family always comes before cars and I couldn't imagine what you and your wife have been through. I'm sure you'll get the mustang back to its former glory, and then some and your children will no doubt love going for rides in it. I remember my dad had an 86 Monte Carlo SS back in 91 when I was 8, and I LOVED riding in that car. It wasn't even fast but I think the sound of that car is what got me hooked on V8's at an early age.

Staying with the 3v? You are working on a manifold to adapt the m122 to the 3v.

Maybe  :D   The brown truck brought this today! :baller:

post-835-0-50583100-1437759685_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-18822100-1437759705_thumb.jpg

I totally understand the car hitting the back burner, family always comes before cars and I couldn't imagine what you and your wife have been through. I'm sure you'll get the mustang back to its former glory, and then some and your children will no doubt love going for rides in it. I remember my dad had an 86 Monte Carlo SS back in 91 when I was 8, and I LOVED riding in that car. It wasn't even fast but I think the sound of that car is what got me hooked on V8's at an early age.

That is the plan.  Ive taken a couple of our shop cars home and when my daughter see's me pull in the drive she runs out and says "I go fast daddy" :2thumb:

Had no time this weekend to work on the car because the wife surprised me with St. Louis Cardinal tickets.  No complaints here.  I did however get to sit the supercharger on the lower intake just to check fitment.  I will have to file down a tab on the bottom of the supercharger so that it will sit flush.  It is no surprise as Jason from Department of Boost told me prior that I would need to do this.  I will say on another note that if anyone every gets a 3v and is thinking about this kit I would strongly recommend Department of Boost.  Jason answered the gauntlet of questions that I had before ordering.  He has been very easy to get into contact with and has been very helpful in finding what parts I need and also recommend places that I would find the best deals.  :2thumb: for Department of Boost

post-835-0-49912100-1438010443_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-40153700-1438010453_thumb.jpg

Edit:  Please excuse the flowers.  I commandeered a section of the counter in the kitchen for some minor assembly and a place to stash the parts for now.lol 

Supercharger looks sick.. that lower intake is eye candy for sure! I tried to stash some of my car parts on the kitchen counter once......once. lol The wife clearly didn't find it as an acceptable place to work on parts like I did.

Sorry for your loss. We lost our first one as well. But we have two more to take up our time.

I read a lot from DOB on the S197 forum. Pretty impressive stuff. He's definitely all about lowering IAT's.

Sorry for your loss. We lost our first one as well. But we have two more to take up our time.

I read a lot from DOB on the S197 forum. Pretty impressive stuff. He's definitely all about lowering IAT's.

That is why I went with him.  I talked through email with him asking a ton of questions and I felt that he did a good job  answering them.  It didnt seem like a rehearsed line that he tells everyone.

supercharger does look good on that granite counter top tho  :P

Thats exactly what I told my wife!  Im sure everyone is familiar with "the look".  Yeah thats what I got.  At least she didnt complain :banana:  

Unfortunately I wont get to work on it this weekend as I will be in Louisville at the Street Rod Nationals with work, but I think it is a good trade off.  I cant work on mine but I get to see everyone else's bad ass ride 

I remember when my wife and I bought our house years ago. We made sure to break in every room in the house just right, but I never got "blown" in the kitchen on the counter.

Id say you probably have most of us beat on that!!!!!!

$-)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

HAHAHA never thought of it like that

Im having problems uploading some pictures on here but I did get some time in the shop.  I got almost all of the new cooling system plumbing done and the factory intake manifold off.  I was in the zone one day knocking items off of the check list at a pretty quick rate.  I got to the point of extending some of the wiring and found out that my soldering iron took a dump.  I went to every part store in town (5 of them) and none of them had a damn soldering iron.  So i had to take a 25 minute drive to the next town over and grab a butane one from Lowes only to find out they didnt  sell butane........  So then I again visit part stores and local tobacco shops and guess what.................... Nobody sells butane or they were out and didnt know when they would get more.  So I just ordered some off of the good ole internet.  Fast forward 2 weeks and the wiring is finished.  I start prepping the Department of Boost intake manifold for installation only to find out the the new water outlet i had ordered was packaged wrong.  So again I visit all of the 5 part stores in town to get the correct one.  4 of the five including the one I originally  purchased the water outlet from couldnt get it any more.  So my last ditch was our local Auto Zone.  So our Auto Zone is the last place you want to go.  It is your typical everyone that works there knows more than you do parts store.  This is why I do not frequent that establishment.  So knowing I need this part quickly I stop in with the part number I need and a picture of the correct part.  I tell the guy "Hey I need to get this part number."  Then he asks what kind of vehicle is this for.  So to avoid any complications I tell him its a water outlet for a 2007-2010 Mustang GT.  So then he asks what year and again I say pick one 2007-2010 it doesnt matter they are all the same.  Then comes the argument.  Billy keyboard clicker tells me that he knows for a fact that they are different every year.  So I ask why he thinks this is?  His reply was because they are different years.  I said I know they are different years but they used the same engine and I know for a fact they used the same water outlet.  I said just go with a 2007 mustang gt water outlet.  So instead of going with that he asks what year my car is.  I said that it is not relevant because I need the parts off of an 07-10.  So he insists.  So I go into detail explaining what im doing and why I need the parts I need the parts im asking for.  That was a mistake!  So now he tells me that a Shelby Supercharger wont fit and he doesnt want to order parts if im going to end up returning them anyways.  So right about the time im about to blow I hear hey Ryan.  I look down the counter and see a guy that I have known for a long time working there.  THANK GOD!  So I leave mister know it all and go and tell my friend Bill that I need this part number.  He looks for like 2 minutes and he said ok it will be here tuesday......  I said thats it?  He replied yeah why.  So i tell him about the dick nose up front that I was talking to.  So Bill, New Store Manager, proceeds to tell said dick nose guy that if someone comes in with a part number chances are that they know what they need.  So if they give him a part number to just look it up and not argue with them.  Last night I literally got 5 minutes while at my dads house to bolt the new water outlet on.  So now hopefully the blower mounting gasket shows up tomorrow so i can get the intake and the supercharger mounted this Saturday.  When I get the picture thing figured out ill post some up.

This Saturday I got the Department of Boost manifold and the Eaton M122 put on the car.  Just need to torque the bolts for that portion to be finished.  I think I am going to get everything else done first just in case I need to take the manifold and the charger back off for some reason.  I shouldnt but I know as soon as I torque it all down I will have to take it back off for something stupid.  Ive got some pictures to post of it and I will as soon as are awesome admins help me figure out whats going on with the picture posting problem I am having.  :drink_to_that:

Things left to do:

mount heat exchanger and water pump

wire up water pump

run wires and install the Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge (Boost, A/F)

modify fuel pump hat and install new fuel pump.

Im sure there are some more odds and ends but that is the short list of the major stuff. 

On 5/5/2016 at 1:46 PM, Blackmage said:

how long do ya think before shes back on the road?

At the rate im going hopefully another month.  Stuff keeps coming up last minute with work and kids but it will get there.  I was going to hopefully get it finished and at least start it to check for leaks next weekend (May 21st&22nd)  but I found out yesterday that I will be going to Ocean City, Maryland with work for a car show:D.  So hopefully the following weekend I will get a chance to at least get it close.  Once all of that is buttoned up ill just have to get with Lito about getting the tune so I can start data logging.

10 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

that manifold is a perfect candidate for a full polish...

yeah the only bad thing is that the hood has open snouts.  Ill be looking for a different one after this is finished up and the bank account has recovered a little more.  Im not a fan of the Cervinis hood that was on it when I bought the car.  Its a nicely made piece but not my style.

I cant believe its been since June since I have really done anything worth posting...........  Same story no time to do anything with it.  I did get a chance to finish up some wiring but still have to wire up the water pump.  I started helping some friends of mine with their Upfitter business.  Now my spare time is working in the shop installing lights, radios, equipment, cages, etc in Police vehicles for most of the agencies in the southern part of Indiana.  We just finished up installing 25 GPS/WIFI units from one city agency alone.  Then we have 20 brand new vehicles from another agency that will be full builds.  Here is a link to a Polaris Ranger that we built https://www.facebook.com/swiuf1/videos/541622279370584/

Edited by RideTech_Ryan