CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95's Project: SN9500

I finally bought a v6 with a straight frame.  So, it's time to build the street legal track monster that I always wanted. The trackbitch will be getting torn apart and scavenged for any parts that I want to use on the new build.  The rest will be for sale or getting scrapped.  Obligatory picture:

PICT0061.jpg

Sad to see her go, but the new car will be considerably faster and not have a different wheel base depending on what side of the car you measure. 

This is what I'm starting with:  Bone stock 1994 Mustang v6 with 130k miles. (big dude on the left not included)

Straight frame, no cancer, ratty interior, and ratty paint.... it's perfect! 

20150803_201613_zpsnbben3bx.jpg

I don't plan on using a lot of parts on this car so I'll have a bunch of stuff for sale over the course of the build.

I'll be doing this build in stages as I haven't found a magical money tree yet and I don't want to skimp on anything just to get the car finished.  First thing I'm working on is the rear end.  I bought an IRS out of an '03 terminator, full tilt boogy racing IRS delrin bushing kit and kenny brown lower control arms.  My plan is to get the IRS finished before I start pulling the car apart.  I lost a bunch of the initial dis-assembly pictures so I'll just post what I have. 

20150727_192106_zpslvf4jbhx.jpg

20150806_181340_zpsbdkltzgp.jpg20150813_171546_zpsw3hkhefz.jpg20150813_175152_zpsj1rinrcw.jpg20150814_131903_zpspzqalxpz.jpg

The uppers were finished today, I'll be pressing the bushing into them tonight or tomorrow.  The lowers are enroute to my house as we speak and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to strip them and powder coat them white as well. (probably not) 

The cradle is completely naked right now waiting for me to figure out what color I want to paint it.  I haven't committed to anything, but I'm thinking orange or white.

I'll keep the thread up to date, but It's going to be a relatively slow build so the updates may be sparse. 

what all are you going to transfer over from the previous trackbitch?

Brakes, front sway bar mounts, engine, trans, pedal box, and probably the head lights.  The headlights are a maybe because I don't know if they work.  I got a good deal on them and needed something to plug the holes but have never actually hooked them up.

Most likely, but I'm not sure yet. You interested if I decide to sell it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

no i have two of them sitting in my garage now.  i just want to see it on the new car cause i love that spoiler.

This should be a great project to watch :2thumb:

I kind of lean toward the car being white. I think ever since the 95R whenever I think race car I think white, with white wheel wells and everything. Please do a badass cage with dimple died gussets to the A and B pillars, painted white as well. Ugh that would just be sex.

This should be a great project to watch :2thumb:

I kind of lean toward the car being white. I think ever since the 95R whenever I think race car I think white, with white wheel wells and everything. Please do a badass cage with dimple died gussets to the A and B pillars, painted white as well. Ugh that would just be sex.

Thanks man, I hope so!  

The cage will be as bad ass as I can make it.  Gussets to the A pillars is a definite, not likely on the B pillars though.  The cage will probably be happening around December, maybe a Christmas gift to myself.

IRS update:  After a bit of a struggle I got all the bushings out of the cradle, but not the outer most sleeve... I need to machine something to help me press them out.  Also got the LCA's from Kenny Brown on Saturday and they look amazing.

20150816_134125_zpsf7wtcufs.jpg20150816_134620_zpsn1ippkzc.jpg20150816_134725_zpsujcgb8xq.jpg20150816_140304_zpsve6pjln6.jpg

If all goes well, I'll have something for mustang week next year.  :D  

That's my projects goal.  :drink_to_that:   Keep up with it so I can check it out at MW!!

I'm aiming to have paint and suspension work finished or mostly finished for MW as well!  

Looks like MW 2016 is gonna be BALLER!!!!

That's my goal. Having to go thru and consolidate all my boxed up security equipment in the garage to sell and order some of the higher dollar items that I need right now.

I figure it frees up space in garage, frees up cash for parts, and stops the wife from bitching at me about space it takes up in garage and the money that I spend on my car!!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

So a win, win, win, win..... lol

That's my goal. Having to go thru and consolidate all my boxed up security equipment in the garage to sell and order some of the higher dollar items that I need right now.

I figure it frees up space in garage, frees up cash for parts, and stops the wife from bitching at me about space it takes up in garage and the money that I spend on my car!!!!!! Lol

I have a handful of shit that I need to sell as well... Stock wheels off a 2014 Focus ST, all-weather floor mats, 3 8.8 rears one with 31 spline axles that fit a 28 spline center (used for american iron, but the class required a 28 spline center section, so the dude had the axles machined to match spec)  There's a bunch more shit too. haha. 

Small update.  Didn't have much time to work on it this weekend.  I have almost half of the cradle stripped, will chug away at the rest of it throughout the week.  Might give aircraft stripper a try.  Also got the cross-axis joints installed.  As always, pics.  Random control arm comparison thrown in too.

20150821_144747_zpsf4dzbjhk.jpg

20150821_144825_zpstr3ez4op.jpg

20150821_144839_zpshfeuz0mv.jpg

20150821_145738_zpsgew8aooq.jpg

20150823_155233_zpsxx84elwq.jpg

I say polish the frame and clear it now that I see it half stripped!!!!!!

You have a point.  It would look really nice if I took the time to do that but I really don't want to polish this thing haha.  Getting the paint and some spots of surface rust off is bad enough.  I'm still thinking orange.  

I may be ordering some more parts tomorrow.

You're way more ambitious than I am.  I would have just paid someone to blast that cradle for me.

Doing some nice work, though!  Looking forward to watching this build progress!

Then through my powers of deduction and or just plain ole stupid luck I'll go with...

What is upper control arms Alex?

Winner!!!

56c03baa6f3350311c4fd05cbf99a1b0.jpg

Painted the cradle too, but I'm not happy with it so I'm going to try and glass bead it and do it over

4c43a958504666f2f54e82ee676f1109.jpg

Might be the picture... But I think it needs more Orange.

Baller on the control arms!!!!!

Now we need someone to make the cradle from chromoly.

It's more Orange in person and I didn't get it clean enough with the brush, soap, rag combo. It's got a couple runs... Not my best work, so I'm redoing it lol.

And thanks! I'm real excited about getting it all together. A chromoly cradle would be amazing.

looks almost.. blaze orange on my computer lol.

I'm not even sure what that is haha. It's Chevy red-Orange. I like the color, I just didn't take enough time with the prep work. I'll probably end up doing the same color after I finish cleaning it up again.

The KB control arms come with poly bushings.  I wonder if the FTBR delrin bushings will fit the control arms?  Did you buy the FTBR bushings for the control arms also?

I'm going to use the poly bushing that came with the control arms.  I actually talked to FTBR 3 days ago, and they're letting me exchange the upper and lower delrin bushings for their modified ford racing dif cover and the matching delrin lowering mount.  I was really happy that they are easy to work with and the cost of the bushings was about $10 more than the cost of the cover and mount, so I just about broke even.

Since you have them could you take a couple of measurements and compare as to if the FTBR delrins will work with the KB arms?

If I ever (probably no any time soon) get the KB arms I'd like to know for future reference.

I'm not even sure what that is haha. It's Chevy red-Orange. I like the color, I just didn't take enough time with the prep work. I'll probably end up doing the same color after I finish cleaning it up again.

Blaze orange, we have to wear it when we're in the woods hunting! 

063ACC42-519C-47ED-A0DA-0FDA23D822CF_zps

Since you have them could you take a couple of measurements and compare as to if the FTBR delrins will work with the KB arms?

If I ever (probably no any time soon) get the KB arms I'd like to know for future reference.

Sure, I'll measure the ID on the control arms when I get home.

Blaze orange, we have to wear it when we're in the woods hunting!

063ACC42-519C-47ED-A0DA-0FDA23D822CF_zps

Ahhhh gotcha, I do know what that is then haha. This Orange is way darker than that in person. Doesn't have the same pop to it.

Toying with the idea of making my own tie rods but I'm not totally sure I want to put the working to them yet.  Here's a rendering of what I designed.  The rod and spherical ball ends would allow me to adjust bump steer as well as be stronger than oem.  The entire assembly weights less than a pound.  Does anyone know how much the MM tie rods weight?

TIE%20ROD%20MOCUP_zps7iawmzzo.png

Toying with the idea of making my own tie rods but I'm not totally sure I want to put the working to them yet.  Here's a rendering of what I designed.  The rod and spherical ball ends would allow me to adjust bump steer as well as be stronger than oem.  The entire assembly weights less than a pound.  Does anyone know how much the MM tie rods weight?

TIE%20ROD%20MOCUP_zps7iawmzzo.png

What about the FTBR or Kenny Brown one's?

What about the FTBR or Kenny Brown one's?

I run the FTBR Extreme Duty toe links and they're a nice setup. They're not exactly cheap though.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT%201860.htm

I'd run a pair of the red ones @CompOrangeSN95 posted fo sho. I'll take a set in silver please ;)

I don't like that kenny brown uses the stock tie rod ends.  FTBR are still an option, I'm not sure of the weight of either of them.  I have a CNC machine at my disposal and I'm kinda starting a side business with my dad making custom parts.  This is more of an excuse to make something cool for my car.  But I'm still having a bit of trouble justifying it to myself. 

I run the FTBR Extreme Duty toe links and they're a nice setup. They're not exactly cheap though.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT%201860.htm

I'd run a pair of the red ones @CompOrangeSN95 posted fo sho. I'll take a set in silver please ;)

Thanks man! I'll let you know if I start making them.

Any chance you know how much the FTBR ones weigh?

Thanks man! I'll let you know if I start making them.

Any chance you know how much the FTBR ones weigh?

Off hand I can't remember for sure but I want to say 1-2 lbs each? They were pretty light because they ditch all the factory stuff completely.