CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95's Project: SN9500

I don't like that kenny brown uses the stock tie rod ends.  FTBR are still an option, I'm not sure of the weight of either of them.  I have a CNC machine at my disposal and I'm kinda starting a side business with my dad making custom parts.  This is more of an excuse to make something cool for my car.  But I'm still having a bit of trouble justifying it to myself. 

Thanks man! I'll let you know if I start making them.

Any chance you know how much the FTBR ones weigh?

Add me to the list also if you start making them.  

Now get out there and make us a chromoly  IRS cradle!;)

I'm pricing out materials right now.  Not sure if I'm going 2024 aluminum or 7075.  They are roughly the same strength, 2024 has a bit more flex, both are significantly stronger than 6061, but neither of them anodize very nicely.  I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

I'm pricing out materials right now.  Not sure if I'm going 2024 aluminum or 7075.  They are roughly the same strength, 2024 has a bit more flex, both are significantly stronger than 6061, but neither of them anodize very nicely.  I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

You might be able to do a translucent powder coat to get the look of anodizing if you end up going with an alloy that doesn't anodize well, just throwing out ideas. Something like a translucent candy red might look damn close to red anodizing and the added weight would be negligible.

You might be able to do a translucent powder coat to get the look of anodizing if you end up going with an alloy that doesn't anodize well, just throwing out ideas. Something like a translucent candy red might look damn close to red anodizing and the added weight would be negligible.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I used that on my engine block coffee table to prevent the cast iron from rusting in the areas I didn't want any color.

According to my materials analysis software, the rod, spherical ends, and nuts combine come in at .9 lbs.  With .04" of deflection at 7,000lbs. Which, even under the harshest conditions, I don't think they'd ever see that kind of force.

I've spec'd out materials, but still need to look at machine time, and tooling costs before I could think about a price for them.

small update, didn't get as much time on it this weekend as I had planned.  Lowers are installed, uhmw sub-frame bushings are installed, and the brakes are ready to be disassembled and refinished.  Edit: I added a picture of the rotors I plan to use.  Despite the minor surface rust, they are in great shape and have drag hats which work great for running monoblock calipers on a LRA.  The rotor mounts to the hat using T-nuts, which allow it to float, basically eliminating any pad slap without having to run c-clip eliminators.

20150908_085750_zpsv65c0gdq.jpg20150907_093952_zps10fklcjt.jpg20150908_101441_zpsbdq7kfwn.jpg

The IRS frame turned out great!  Can't wait to see your idea with the coil overs and counter levered brackets.

How's progress with the tie-rods? 

Thanks!  I'm still waiting on the tooling and material for the tie rods.  But I'm hoping to have them finished by the end of the month.  I'm starting to second guess the push-rod setup for the suspension.  Other than being able to easily adjust them, and looking really bad ass, there isn't much gain from running them unless I setup a ratio'd arm to run smaller shocks with stiffer springs.  And then the only other gain is really the weight savings from going to a smaller shock, which is pretty much negated by the extra materials for the push-rod, bell crank, and mount.  I'm fighting myself on this one haha

Toying with the idea of making my own tie rods but I'm not totally sure I want to put the working to them yet.  Here's a rendering of what I designed.  The rod and spherical ball ends would allow me to adjust bump steer as well as be stronger than oem.  The entire assembly weights less than a pound.  Does anyone know how much the MM tie rods weight?

TIE%20ROD%20MOCUP_zps7iawmzzo.png

what are the dimensions of your rod ends.  We carry some of those here and also some heim bearings.  Just thought I would offer to give you more options.

what are the dimensions of your rod ends.  We carry some of those here and also some heim bearings.  Just thought I would offer to give you more options.

Thanks man, the dimensions are 3/4" x 1" x 19-1/4".  Center to center on the heim joints is 22".

I think he meant the dimensions of the rod ends themselves (heim joints).

It's early, I should have picked up on that haha.  Here's links to what I'm using. @RideTech_Ryan

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-alrsm6

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-alrsml6

It's early, I should have picked up on that haha.  Here's links to what I'm using. @RideTech_Ryan

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-alrsm6

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-alrsml6

looks good our heim rod ends are kevlar lined and have the 5/8 bearing so they might be a little big.  They are 5/8 x 3/4

http://www.ridetech.com/store/rod-end-5-8-x-3-4-kevlar-lined-heim-end.html

looks good our heim rod ends are kevlar lined and have the 5/8 bearing so they might be a little big.  They are 5/8 x 3/4

http://www.ridetech.com/store/rod-end-5-8-x-3-4-kevlar-lined-heim-end.html

Very nice.  They look a little beefier than what I need.  But I'll see how everything does under stress testing once I get the first set done.  If I decide to go heavier with them I'll give you shout. 

Very nice.  They look a little beefier than what I need.  But I'll see how everything does under stress testing once I get the first set done.  If I decide to go heavier with them I'll give you shout. 

lol Go beefy, or go home.

Sounds good man.  

Progress is slow, but it's still progress.  I got one of the calipers disassembled.  Still not sure if I'm going to powder coat them or send them out to be stripped and re-anodized.  I'm leaning towards powder for the cost, but I'm not sure how it will hold up to the high temps it'll see on the race track.  I had some issues pulling the new studs into the hubs, so I'll have to bring them to work and press them in.  That's all for now.

oh, and I got my new diff cover and lowering mount.

20150908_181949_zpsptxcdgix.jpg

20150912_123541_zpsw2wftk1y.jpg

20150914_171850_zpsk0f1bubt.jpg

I may have missed it but those are Kenny Brown arms correct? If so you may want to give this thread a read about some of the fixes that Bruce at FTBR did to the set he has on his R.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?257959-Why-I-never-had-much-confidence-in-Kenny-Brown-parts

And he makes bushing kits for those arms also, in case you are interested

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?745491-Kenny-Brown-IRS-tubular-control-arm-Delrin-bushing-sets-another-run

I may have missed it but those are Kenny Brown arms correct? If so you may want to give this thread a read about some of the fixes that Bruce at FTBR did to the set he has on his R.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?257959-Why-I-never-had-much-confidence-in-Kenny-Brown-parts

And he makes bushing kits for those arms also, in case you are interested

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?745491-Kenny-Brown-IRS-tubular-control-arm-Delrin-bushing-sets-another-run

Thanks for the info man, yeah they're Kenny Brown arms.  I'll take a look at the threads you posted.  Before I read through everything, what were the issues he had with them?

Thanks for the info man, yeah they're Kenny Brown arms.  I'll take a look at the threads you posted.  Before I read through everything, what were the issues he had with them?

There were a few issues with tabs bending/not being thick enough for the application and holes being misaligned. Nothing major, and I'm sure well within your abilities. Just thought I'd pass it along to save you possible future headaches.

There were a few issues with tabs bending/not being thick enough for the application and holes being misaligned. Nothing major, and I'm sure well within your abilities. Just thought I'd pass it along to save you possible future headaches.

Yeah man, I really appreciate the information.  The arms I have are the new design, so I'm not sure if I'll have the same issues he did.  The only issue I had (so far) is the bushings were installed backwards on the upper control arms.  Simple enough fix, but I had to call KB to know for sure.  Rich was extremely helpful and requested I send the serial number on the arms back so he could find out who did the installation.

I have nothing but good things to say about both KB and FTBR.  FTBR was a huge help when I decided to go with the KB arms and asked to swap the delrin bushings for the rear diff cover.  I sent them back, he wrote up a bill of sale to reflect the swap and sent me the cover. 

Yeah man, I really appreciate the information.  The arms I have are the new design, so I'm not sure if I'll have the same issues he did.  The only issue I had (so far) is the bushings were installed backwards on the upper control arms.  Simple enough fix, but I had to call KB to know for sure.  Rich was extremely helpful and requested I send the serial number on the arms back so he could find out who did the installation.

I have nothing but good things to say about both KB and FTBR.  FTBR was a huge help when I decided to go with the KB arms and asked to swap the delrin bushings for the rear diff cover.  I sent them back, he wrote up a bill of sale to reflect the swap and sent me the cover. 

Ohhh ok, I didn't realize they had redesigned them. Most likely they have corrected all the issues then.

And yea, Bruce is a good dude. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his products. I need to do a Ford Racing cover sometime, I'm still rocking the stocker and a Billetflow brace. When the time comes, Bruce will get a call from me for sure.

Ohhh ok, I didn't realize they had redesigned them. Most likely they have corrected all the issues then.

And yea, Bruce is a good dude. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his products. I need to do a Ford Racing cover sometime, I'm still rocking the stocker and a Billetflow brace. When the time comes, Bruce will get a call from me for sure.

I didn't realize it until I went to order them haha.  

Old:

P1120043.jpg.

New:

20150821_145738_zpsgew8aooq.jpg

I don't think the uppers have changed at all.  

Do the KB arms have any revised geometry or are the the same as the stock geometry?

I'm honestly not sure man. I noticed they were a new shape when I placed the order but never realy dove into why.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brake update: They're done! I'm extremely happy with how they came out, pictures do not do the color justice. I'm working on designing a mount for the calipers now.  The toe-links should be finished by the end of the week.  Just trying to find some time to run machine them...

20150926_165645_zpsl6encgym.jpg

20150927_083547_zps3vt9r1dv.jpg

20150927_135250_zps3zrvnyl4.jpg

The calipers look incredible! I think v.2 is definitely fitting for this build. The first car was all function, and it's very obvious with this one you're making it look great too. Keep up the awesome work and I can't wait to see how those toe links turn out.

The calipers look incredible! I think v.2 is definitely fitting for this build. The first car was all function, and it's very obvious with this one you're making it look great too. Keep up the awesome work and I can't wait to see how those toe links turn out.

Thanks man! I was getting jealous of all these beautiful sn95's, figured it was about time I built my own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

any pics of the brakes installed yet :D  lol

Not yet, but I did finish designing the caliper mount yesterday.

I also returned the wilwood spot calipers and ordered a set of the MC4 mechanicals instead.  New hats and hardware are on order, and hopefully I'll have a wooden version of my mount finished by the end of next week to do a test fit.

No update post is complete without pictures so here's a rendering of the mount I designed and a quick rendering of the hub assembly I designed to make sure everything will fit.  I didn't take the time to draw all of the detail on the calipers, but all of the critical dimensions are there. The colors were just to help me differentiate what part was what during the design.  Also, if anyone needs dimensionally correct models of Wilwood 170-6947 hats and 160-12291 rotors, let me know and I'll send you the .step files.

Also, the toe-links will be machined soon!!! I promise  ;)

caliper_moc-up_zpsvy3paw7d.jpg

CALIPER_MOUNT_zpsvpkozrij.png

Did you return the Wilwood spots because of the design that basically means they will always rattle slightly? I hate it, and wish I had chosen a different caliper before I got so heavily invested designing my own brackets and having them CNC'd :(