CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95's Project: SN9500

Did you return the Wilwood spots because of the design that basically means they will always rattle slightly? I hate it, and wish I had chosen a different caliper before I got so heavily invested designing my own brackets and having them CNC'd :(

That's one of the reasons, and because the MC4 has a bracket for the cable and a return spring already installed.  Another reason was the MC4 uses a standard pad, so if I ever wore them out (which I don't think is likely) I can replace the pads as I would a normal caliper.  They only cost me about $12 more per caliper, so for me, at this stage of the game, it was a no brainer.  My only gripe, and it's a small one, is the wilwood logo is a decal, not milled.

Do you have a picture of your setup?  I'm really interested to see how these cars look with a dual caliper setup in the rear.

Here's a couple pics of the MC4 caliper:

20151005_124327_zpsnhngj75y.jpg

20151005_124345_zpsxew8kync.jpg

I should have just gone with those, would have saved me a lot of trouble I'm sure, lol. I'll have to dig up some pics of mine tomorrow. I would say I'd dig them up tonight but I guarantee I'll be working on the house until the second my head hits the pillow lol.

I should have just gone with those, would have saved me a lot of trouble I'm sure, lol. I'll have to dig up some pics of mine tomorrow. I would say I'd dig them up tonight but I guarantee I'll be working on the house until the second my head hits the pillow lol.

It was shear luck that I even found these.  I returned the others with only 2 days left haha.

I can definitely relate to house work.  Congrats! By the way.   After a couple years of what felt like endless work I finally said fuck it and started buying toys again.  I'm single, so no ones pushing me to get projects done around the the house and it's comfortable the way it is.  Sooooo... new racecar. 

If you ever need custom CNC work done, let me know.  I'm currently in the process of starting a small LLC, doing custom CNC work as well as fix/repair/maintain classic cars.

It was shear luck that I even found these. I returned the others with only 2 days left haha.

I can definitely relate to house work. Congrats! By the way. After a couple years of what felt like endless work I finally said fuck it and started buying toys again. I'm single, so no ones pushing me to get projects done around the the house and it's comfortable the way it is. Sooooo... new racecar.

If you ever need custom CNC work done, let me know. I'm currently in the process of starting a small LLC, doing custom CNC work as well as fix/repair/maintain classic cars.

Wish I could aford you to CNC a billet aluminum pulley bridge for my Eaton conversion. That would totally be sick! Or even some custom aluminum coil covers for the COPs.

If you ever need custom CNC work done, let me know.  I'm currently in the process of starting a small LLC, doing custom CNC work as well as fix/repair/maintain classic cars.

Consider me a guaranteed customer then! It's hard to find people that do one-off/small run CNC work that are punctual and have good communication skills. Once I get the important rooms squared away in the house (kitchen, garage, master bedroom lol) I'll be getting back into making cool car shit so I will no doubt cook up some new ideas I'll need someone to CNC :2thumb:

Wish I could aford you to CNC a billet aluminum pulley bridge for my Eaton conversion. That would totally be sick! Or even some custom aluminum coil covers for the COPs.

Maybe you can!  Our current machine is limited to 18L x 9w x 12h work area.  But I'm pretty good at getting larger stuff to fit, so it can be fudged a bit.  What exactly do you mean by pulley bridge?  I'm not versed in boosted terms yet. haha

Consider me a guaranteed customer then! It's hard to find people that do one-off/small run CNC work that are punctual and have good communication skills. Once I get the important rooms squared away in the house (kitchen, garage, master bedroom lol) I'll be getting back into making cool car shit so I will no doubt cook up some new ideas I'll need someone to CNC :2thumb:

Awesome!  Look forward to working with you.  I'm more than happy to help out with the design of parts as well.  Based on what I've seen in your build thread, that probably won't be necessary though.  haha  

Those are the exact rooms I finished first, followed closely by my living room and basement (since I rent it out).  

The pulley bridge is the big hunk O Metal on the front of the engine that has the tensioner and idler pulleys for the supercharger.  As seen below.

PulleyBridge7A.jpg

80-image_0abf41b4f32248e7119165ea1bcf48f

As you can see it's a big piece.  And the cost of materials alone for such a one of piece may be too much at this time.  But it would be badass!

I'd at least like to have a pair of completely smooth coil covers.  Might even want a pair with some engraving, but not sure what yet.

The coil covers are a breeze. I've been making them for years. I think there are about 10 gt500's out there with custom coil covers from me and my dad as well as about 4 Ford GT's. The 4 valve 4.6's use the same gasket, making it easy for me to machine them too. Let me do some digging and I'll see if I can post some pics of a few.

Also, I think I could make you a new pulley bridge if you sent me the old one so I could get dimensions off it. But you're right, the materials would be 90-110ish depending in the grade of aluminum. Machine time and design time would be pretty high though.

yes definitely get me some pics of the coil covers.  the 4.6'sand 5.4 share the same cam covers and coil covers.  So there is no problem with them not working.

What's a rough estimate on design and machining time?  The factory pieces are going for anywhere from $150 to $250.  So depending on those times will help me decide if things aren't too far out of range.  What program do you use to design the pieces?  I need to brush up on my 3D design in AutoCAD.  Everything I currently do and have done was in 2D.

Awesome!  Look forward to working with you.  I'm more than happy to help out with the design of parts as well.  Based on what I've seen in your build thread, that probably won't be necessary though.  haha  

Those are the exact rooms I finished first, followed closely by my living room and basement (since I rent it out).  

You probably have access to better software than I do, who knows. We will definitely make cool shit though.

Yea the kitchen is kicking my ass. I've already rebuilt two cabinets so far. One was because it was a stupid shape, and the other was the sink cabinet that was ruined and rotted from the PO letting a plumbing leak go too long. There's no such thing as "oh, I'll just put on new counter tops!" lol

Not sure if you've mentioned before, but what do you do for a living? Machinist?

Some pics of the covers for you @RedTwilight

336_zpsngk1c8jn.jpg219_zps1t2n0bih.jpg254_zpsmoymjgcv.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have access to a powder coat booth any more, unless I'm doing small personal items, so I'd be more inclined to sell these in raw aluminum.

@95riosnake I use Inventor for most of my modeling, but will probably be moving to other software because of the price.  It's extremely nice to use though.  I'm a Manufacuring engineer for a small machine tool builder in North Jersey. 

Sorry to hear about the cabinet. "oh, I'll just put on new counter tops!" hahahaha yeah or "I think I'll paint my house this weekend...."  4 months later I have 4 out of 5 sides done haha.  My house was vacant for almost 3 years when I got it, so I feel your pain.

Idk how anyone goes through the pain of painting a house every few years.  I'm not a lazy person by any means, but fuuuuuuuck that.  There is no way I'm spending weeks of my free time scraping and painting.  I'd plunk the cash down and put siding on it before I took the time to paint it.

yes definitely get me some pics of the coil covers.  the 4.6'sand 5.4 share the same cam covers and coil covers.  So there is no problem with them not working.

What's a rough estimate on design and machining time?  The factory pieces are going for anywhere from $150 to $250.  So depending on those times will help me decide if things aren't too far out of range.  What program do you use to design the pieces?  I need to brush up on my 3D design in AutoCAD.  Everything I currently do and have done was in 2D.

Sorry I never answered this.  I use inventor, which I love, but it's crazy expensive so I might be moving to something more reasonable.   A part like that would have a good 4-8 hours of design and programming.  The finished piece would probably be somewhere in the $600-$700 range for a 1 off.  If there were multiple people that wanted it, I'd be able to drop the price.  We sold the coil covers for $750 a pair, but every single set was a 1 off.  That included as many redesigns as required until the customer was happy, as well as powder coating, surface grinding, polishing, and shipping.  I'd have to go through my documentation and see what I could get the price down to without all the finishing steps. 

Idk how anyone goes through the pain of painting a house every few years.  I'm not a lazy person by any means, but fuuuuuuuck that.  There is no way I'm spending weeks of my free time scraping and painting.  I'd plunk the cash down and put siding on it before I took the time to paint it.

It fucking blows, and that's half the reason I haven't finished yet haha.

Some pics of the covers for you @RedTwilight

336_zpsngk1c8jn.jpg219_zps1t2n0bih.jpg254_zpsmoymjgcv.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have access to a powder coat booth any more, unless I'm doing small personal items, so I'd be more inclined to sell these in raw aluminum.

@95riosnake I use Inventor for most of my modeling, but will probably be moving to other software because of the price.  It's extremely nice to use though.  I'm a Manufacuring engineer for a small machine tool builder in North Jersey. 

Sorry to hear about the cabinet. "oh, I'll just put on new counter tops!" hahahaha yeah or "I think I'll paint my house this weekend...."  4 months later I have 4 out of 5 sides done haha.  My house was vacant for almost 3 years when I got it, so I feel your pain.

Sorry I never answered this.  I use inventor, which I love, but it's crazy expensive so I might be moving to something more reasonable.   A part like that would have a good 4-8 hours of design and programming.  The finished piece would probably be somewhere in the $600-$700 range for a 1 off.  If there were multiple people that wanted it, I'd be able to drop the price.  We sold the coil covers for $750 a pair, but every single set was a 1 off.  That included as many redesigns as required until the customer was happy, as well as powder coating, surface grinding, polishing, and shipping.  I'd have to go through my documentation and see what I could get the price down to without all the finishing steps. 

It fucking blows, and that's half the reason I haven't finished yet haha.

The covers do look good.  It's no problem about the powdercoating.  That'll allow me to closer match the powder coating, paint, anodizing or polishing that I decide to do at the time.

I'm just looking for a smooth pair in plain aluminum that'll accept the factory gaskets and bolts.

From here I'll finish them however when I make a final decision.  So far I'm thinking powder coat candy red, or paint candy red with some ghost flames airbrushed into the design to match the exterior of the car.  Then if I decide on any "text" or logo I'll airbrush it myself.

Yeah I was figuring that big of a chunk for the pulley bridge would be quit expensive.

By the time you finish painting your house you're gonna have to start all over again!  haha ;)

@RedTwilight Nice! That makes them even cheaper. Let me run some numbers and I'll get back to you. Do you like the shape of the first set or would you rather they follow the contour of the gasket?

Shoot me a message so we don't keep blowing up my build thread haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Safety wire is a bitch.... spent about an hour on 1 rotor last night and managed to get 1 safety wire installed.  I will continue the struggle tonight. 
I surface ground my rotors, only had to take about .008" off each side to get them to clean up.  Not sure why I didn't take a picture afterwards, but I'll take a nice picture after I get all the safety wire on.

20151006_070640_zpsgjpe7qzq.jpg20151006_165948_zpszmxgfopw.jpg20151006_195245_zpsgavsqbzg.jpg

Safety wire is a bitch.... spent about an hour on 1 rotor last night and managed to get 1 safety wire installed.  I will continue the struggle tonight. 

I surface ground my rotors, only had to take about .008" off each side to get them to clean up.  Not sure why I didn't take a picture afterwards, but I'll take a nice picture after I get all the safety wire on.

Been there... and it sucked lol. You get the hang of it after a while. I wasted a LOT of wire getting acclimated.

WdFZ91.jpg

XqxPPV.jpg

Oh and I remember you asked for a pic of my setup, this was with the laser cut styrene mock up brackets but you get the idea.

S095ny.jpg

p50QM8.jpg

Been there... and it sucked lol. You get the hang of it after a while. I wasted a LOT of wire getting acclimated.

WdFZ91.jpg

XqxPPV.jpg

Oh and I remember you asked for a pic of my setup, this was with the laser cut styrene mock up brackets but you get the idea.

S095ny.jpg

p50QM8.jpg

That setup looks fantastic. I'm hoping to have a wooden bracket milled this weekend.

I'll go for round 2 of the safety wire this weekend. And should probably order more wire haha

one toe link finished. Still need to make another couple pieces before I can mount them up.

20151022_202717_zpsp4dmeclt.jpg

little video: http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/MsakingTapeMan/TrackBitch%20Ver2/20151022_192158_zpswcjn4rvu.mp4

Toe links done. Waiting on a quote from a local shop for some turning work that I can't do in house yet. Hoping to at least get them moc'd up on the rear tonight.

747279164a451df029a7fb9acf4361c2.jpg

Looking sick. Im wondering how much deflection they will see.

Thanks! FEA says .04" at 8,800lbs. Based on the geometry of the irs, it'll never seen loads that high. But I'd still like to do some real world testing.

That looks awesome.  Loving the progress and the custom made parts!

Thanks man!  I just started an LLC with my dad (still waiting on our tax id number and all that jazz) so if you need any custom parts made, give me a shout.   I'm hoping to have a website up, within the next few months.

Thanks man!  I just started an LLC with my dad (still waiting on our tax id number and all that jazz) so if you need any custom parts made, give me a shout.   I'm hoping to have a website up, within the next few months.

Thats awesome to hear!  Good luck with the new business venture.

Here's a quick moc-up picture I took earlier. Looks like everything fits, but I need to modify my rotor hats and double check clearances before I start cutting metal.

2eee567f54305a196214f3b6bfc79626.jpg

That looks awesome, I definitely should have gone with those mechanical calipers for my parking brake :(

You can always change it up and go this route.  If you send me the part numbers for the caliper and rotor you're using, I can design a mount for you.

You can always change it up and go this route.  If you send me the part numbers for the caliper and rotor you're using, I can design a mount for you.

I'm already about $600 deep into materials and CNC work on the brackets I have already, so it's too late to change now. If I end up really hating the mechanical calipers I'm running I'll hit you up and figure something else out when the time comes. I think I should at least get it all on the car and drive it a bit to see if I should change the plan.

I'm already about $600 deep into materials and CNC work on the brackets I have already, so it's too late to change now. If I end up really hating the mechanical calipers I'm running I'll hit you up and figure something else out when the time comes. I think I should at least get it all on the car and drive it a bit to see if I should change the plan.

Ahh gotcha, I thought you already had them on the car. To be fair, I think the e-brake calipers you have look better. I'm not going anywhere if you decide to change your mind. [emoji106]

Mini update: I finally finished the rod to hub mounts... Couldn't find a shop to take the job because of my tight tolerances, so, with help from a co-worker, I figured out how to make them on a small manual lathe. I made 2 sets and I'll have the complete kit finished in a few days. I swapped the aluminum rod ends for chromoly for little added strength. As soon as I verify fitment of the new rod ends I will put a price on these and start taking orders for anyone interested. They will ship unfinished, unless you'd like me to spec out anodizing or powder coating. At which point I'll adjust the piece accordingly.

So much to do, so little time. I'll get some vanity shots of them installed after I receive the rest of the hardware.

Obligatory picture: post-37-144769722496_thumb.jpg