95faleen

Fresh paint old pain

I'm changing a lot of parts aesthetically and don't want unpainted or mismatched colors. How "off" would bumpers side skirt and hood with fresh dark forest green paint look on top of oem paint? Also my roof is really bad with oxidation but I doubt I have money for a paint job. I know @detroitriot had some parts painted before his whole car got done (iirc) just need some input

my DFG has held up really nicely but then it was always washed/waxed garaged and also was not driven much for a few years.  Now compare that to a car maybe from phoenix that was never waxed garaged and sat out in the desert and there could be a HUGE difference in the colors.  With some searching you can probably find something close enough to work but the reality of finding a part that matches perfectly is pretty slim. 

I'm changing a lot of parts aesthetically and don't want unpainted or mismatched colors. How "off" would bumpers side skirt and hood with fresh dark forest green paint look on top of oem paint? Also my roof is really bad with oxidation but I doubt I have money for a paint job. I know @detroitriot had some parts painted before his whole car got done (iirc) just need some input

It just depends on how good your paint was taken care of before. A good cut n polish could do wonders for your OEM stuff that isn't getting a fresh spray. My car was repainted a few years before I got it soooo it wasn't too bad to match everything

my DFG has held up really nicely but then it was always washed/waxed garaged and also was not driven much for a few years. Now compare that to a car maybe from phoenix that was never waxed garaged and sat out in the desert and there could be a HUGE difference in the colors. With some searching you can probably find something close enough to work but the reality of finding a part that matches perfectly is pretty slim.

believe it or not, I found a guy selling a full saleen body kit and it's already dfg! Now the reason I'm asking about paint is I don't want to put or leave on for that matter fucked up parts. My front bumper now needs glass work, the bumper the guy has is a real saleen same dfg color but looks solid, my cobra r hood is primer black, rear bumper on my car now just needs paint but they used some sheet metal screws that I don't appreciate so I'm looking to get it done right. Side skirts on my car are ok, same sheet metal screw deal but they are side skirts so I don't care to much, maybe I'll use double sided tape if the ones I'm buying don't have holes already drilled and what not. Sounds like I should just compare prices and let my sack fall where it may haha

no need for glass on the bumper.  I had to patch a small hole in mine during my rebuild and I got an epoxy bumper repair kit from autozone.  It Just had a plastic mesh that went across the back that you smeared the epoxy through to hold everything together.  Then just a light coat of the epoxy in the hole/crack in the front and you can start the sand/fill/prime dance.

You will not be able to tell if the parts will be a good match till you can see them next to your car.  DFG has some blue pearl in it that seemed to fade in cars that were out in the light compared to mine that was garaged. 

no need for glass on the bumper. I had to patch a small hole in mine during my rebuild and I got an epoxy bumper repair kit from autozone. It Just had a plastic mesh that went across the back that you smeared the epoxy through to hold everything together. Then just a light coat of the epoxy in the hole/crack in the front and you can start the sand/fill/prime dance.

You will not be able to tell if the parts will be a good match till you can see them next to your car. DFG has some blue pearl in it that seemed to fade in cars that were out in the light compared to mine that was garaged.

bottom left corner of photo.....

EB8462BE-3833-4D12-A037-36ED30FAB1C5.jpg

I need a new bumper haha

I say go ahead and get the full Saleen kit.  That way you can fix all the problems with your current kit at the same time.  

How close the match is will vary as others have mentioned.  Then just have the hood and roof resprayed.  But all this is if the rest of the paint isn't too bad.  

i think it's going to be tough to get bumpers butted up against fenders and quarters to match spot on. usually they would blend the color up onto the fenders and clear bumper/fenders so you don't get that direct contrast. 

Maybe wrap the car or plastidip it till your ready for a whole paint job?!?!

Then it can all match until you decide what you want to do.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

That may be an idea.  Plastidip when taken your time and done right can look fantastic.  There are many color choices and even pearls now that can be chosen.

I took the plastidip route while I stockpiled my parts and came up with a game plan. It allowed me to drive the car without feeling embarrassed. I'm now ready to get her painted now so I'm in the process of peeling it off.

send or post some pics of how yours came out and I might consider that route

Here you go.  It doesn't look better than a fresh shiny paint job, but it will buy you time.  The only drawback is that it will get anywhere there is a gap (doors, trunk, etc) but I cleaned up those areas right afterward and it wasn't a big deal.

MustangSig_zps1edd36d0.jpgThis is right after applying the plastidip.

IMG_20150602_173739_zpsgp9gz8no.jpgThis is two years later.

IMG_20141128_140920nopm_zpstaiiqg9j.jpg