VNMS98

Buying a Cali car and registering out of state?

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a car from a private party in California. A couple of my friends have done this, and gotten raped on fees; 450$ for an 01 Cobra, 750 for a C5 Z06. I'm stationed in Arizona, where my current car is registered. We're planning on a trade. So, do we just need notarized titles and temporary registration until we can go to our respective DMVs? I'm just trying to avoid registering it in California when I still have another year left on my AZ registration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a car from a private party in California. A couple of my friends have done this, and gotten raped on fees; 450$ for an 01 Cobra, 750 for a C5 Z06. I'm stationed in Arizona, where my current car is registered. We're planning on a trade. So, do we just need notarized titles and temporary registration until we can go to our respective DMVs? I'm just trying to avoid registering it in California when I still have another year left on my AZ registration.

You say you're stationed in AZ... where is your official home of record with the military?  I know my dad's was Mississippi when he was in so when we bought the classic Mustangs, they got registered in MS first because of the *cheap* antique tags.  After a year, we moved the registration to FL, avoiding a ton of fees and taxes.

• Moderators

My official home is Arizona as well, I've got a house out hete

You'll have to check for sure, but I am almost positive that you can have your cars registered in AZ as long as you're in the service.

If you're in AZ why would you register the car in CA? You're going to have to register the car in your name. No way around it. I think in CA you have 14 days to register the car. I imagine AZ is similar.

The taxes and fees should be based on the cost of the car. As far as CA knows I paid $5000 for my 04 and that's what I paid taxes on. What you need to check on is how AZ deals with a trade. They'll probably go by the value of the car.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Back before I moved from phoenix my car sat for long enough the registration expired on it.  After getting it up and running I was moving back to the Midwest to be closer to family and did not want to  register it.  Az at that time gave you the ability to get a temporary 3 day registration/plate that you sign up for online and then print the paper plate yourself.  I am not sure what the logistics are with it being a newly purchased but at the time it was not going to pass emmisions with what was done to it.  I got it 2 times the first to go to the dyno for tuning and the 2nd to drive it back to its new home.  I think the fee was minimal around $10.