Tabres

Tabres' Turbo Cobra - Winter Shenanigans

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Back when I had just put on the Procharger, I had my vacuum lines hooked up the way they would be on a naturally aspirated car, which was a big mistake but I didn't know any different. I had one hooked up to the piping right before the throttle body, well when the car hit boost on the dyno, it pressurized the crankcase big time and blew the dipstick out along with about a quart of oil or so, lol. The guy who was tuning the car about shit his pants thinking it blew up at first. I helped him clean up his shop afterward, it made a HUGE mess. Part 2 of my screw up was my first attempt at fixing it. So I changed the routing of the vacuum lines, then used a check valve to isolate boost from the crankcase. This was the night before I was leaving to drive the car to Carlisle, I didn't test drive it but should have. So I am all loaded up the next morning and the wife and I are heading out, I go to hit the brakes and the car baaaaaaarely stops. Turns out I had basically stopped the engine vacuum from creating any brake boost lol. Too late to do shit about it, I drove it like that with basically no brakes. I had to leave a minimum of 10+ car lengths between me and any car ahead the whole time, super sketchy. Ended up being a somewhat simple fix in the end, but that was an interesting trip for sure.

I'd be sweating bullets.  As you say, that's pretty sketchy.  I can sort of imagine what that would be like.  My parents' Corvette is a manual brake/manual steering car.  It's always a drastic adjustment ever time I get a chance to drive it.  Freaks me the hell out and I stay out of heavy traffic areas and leave huge gaps between myself and the car in front of me.  I have no desire to smash up my parents' $80k car because some dickhead in front of me wasn't paying attention and decided to stop at the last minute.

Edited by Tabres

26 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Holy hell $80k?  What sort of vette are we speaking of? Split window or something?

It's a pretty mint, low-mileage, numbers matching 66 coupe... black/black, 350 horse 327" small block with a 4 speed and side pipes (it's supposed to have gold lines on it.  My Dad and both think the gold-lines look stupid, so it's got white walls.  Would really like to put red-lines on it but it's not year correct).  It's slow as shit by today's standards but its a fun car, especially when you come in the sweet spot on the cam, and it gets looks like you wouldn't believe.  The last time they had it appraised it was 2 years ago when they switched insurance when they moved and it came out something like $83k.  Not a bad investment considering they bought it for $12k in 1986.

Most of the pictures I have are super old.  The only new ones I have are from my wedding...

DSCN0812_zpsao8qnlnt.jpg

DSCN0794_zpseh7xiv14.jpg

Pre%20Wedding-0220_zpsd9lhhcn1.jpg

Ceremony-0456_zps6mtvliyr.jpg

Edited by Tabres

Holy throw that car back together at light speed batman lol... 

The C2 is my absolute favorite body style!  That thing looks about as mint as they come.  

Edited by Lanter

The clamp for my downpipe came in the mail today.  Can runs... good oil pressure, came up to temperature well, no leaks whatsoever.  Pretty satisfied, all things considered.  Nice to be able to have it back together for the last few nice weeks of the year.

48 minutes ago, Tabres said:

The clamp for my downpipe came in the mail today.  Can runs... good oil pressure, came up to temperature well, no leaks whatsoever.  Pretty satisfied, all things considered.  Nice to be able to have it back together for the last few nice weeks of the year.

That's great new man!

On 10/13/2016 at 3:32 PM, Tabres said:

stock-photo-happy-young-female-with-her-

Seriously though, congrats. Great to hear you can FINALLY enjoy the car a bit this year, then it'll be ready to go all season next year. That thing definitely made you work for it haha. Now the hard part will be to resist the temptation to mess with it over the winter, lol.

Summit changing their main postal service from FedEx to UPS is easily the most annoying thing I've ever dealt with. When they used FedEx I could order something by 11:00pm. And have it to my door by 10:00am. Now it's a shot in the dark if it even shows up next day if I order it at 5:00pm. /rant

Congrats on getting the car back together tho, must be a huge relief knowing it was a small mental error that did little to no damage other than too your pocket book and ego!

I have to shamefully admit that I haven't even driven the car at all this year aside from backing it out of the garage a few times.  I've been so swamped with house projects and trying to get things done before my daughter shows up that I've had really no time for it.  Now that things have started to settle down, it's about 95* outside with near 100% humidity and a car without A/C isn't really the place I want to be right now.  I am going to start driving it, though.  I pay too much in registration and insurance to let it sit around...

I did finish this mod to the garage yesterday, though.  I just need to wrap the pump wiring in some tech-flex and I'll be completely finished up with it.  It truthfully is a DIY project if you're at all handy.  My brother helped me stand the posts upright and my wife helped me mount the pump because you'd need 4 hands to do it, otherwise I did everything 100% by myself.  Collectively, it took maybe 6 hours or so.  I did it in chunks of an hour here and there.

It may not look like it in the photo, but the front bumper is at my eye level and I'm 6'4" tall (10 foot ceiling in case anyone was wondering).  A smaller car I could stand under, my Mustang I can comfortably work from a wheelie stool.  So, so, so much better than jackstands.  I also bought the lift with low-profile arms and they can swing under my Mustang without me having to run the car up on wood.  I was dreading what shenanigans I might have to go through to get the car elevated and it's no effort really.  I'm quite pleased with the whole setup.

I can tell you one thing, I'm the only car guy in the neighborhood and it sure made the neighbors look last night the first time I got the car up on it...

1_zpsrsch7p2v.jpg

2_zpsjdygbhzd.jpg

Edited by Tabres

nice to see the lift done.  i still haven't pulled the trigger on mine yet.  waiting for a few things to fall into place first.

Not much of an update with anything.  Too busy trying to get house and other stuff done before the kiddo is born.  My area of the country has been like living in Satan's personal sauna the past few weeks so it's been too hot to do anything or drive the car anyway (no A/C)...

It did sort of cool off today though, was only about 90.  So, I washed the car for the first time in over a year.  Recently picked up a MTM PF-22 foam cannon and some Chemical Guy's Honeydew soap I wanted to try out.  It does an awesome job.  I would highly recommend these to anyone.  Unfortunately, how thick the foam is doesn't show up well since my car is white.

jtOhhEx.jpg

Also, I've been tired of my license plate for a long time (never honestly really liked it anyway) so I finally got around to getting a new one.  Was starting to think they would never come as I ordered them about 10 weeks ago.  I thought it was clever, and I've never seen this on a Cobra before (or Viper for that matter). 

M84jUFQ.jpg

3 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Holy shit photobucket ruined every build thread on the internet.

Yeah, I noticed that.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have the ambition to go all the way back and fix things, and my build thread isn't even large by comparison to some on here.  Really sucks...