Det_Riot

The Not-So-Sexual Whale Cave

Well as I've hinted too in a few threads (including my build thread), today is the day that I close on my first home purchase. It finally started hitting me last week as I was transferring the bills over to my name that I was going to be a homeowner soon.

Onto the details! The house is in Royal Oak, if you aren't from the area you've probably never heard of it. It's an up and coming suburb of Detroit. That doesn't mean a whole lot to a lot of you but conveniently, it's about a mile from Woodward Avenue...which is also home to the Woodward Dream cruise. Which unless you've been living under a rock, you should know its the largest single day car event in the world, with upwards if 250,000 cars out all up and down the 9 mile long loop.

The house itself isn't too bad, in definite need of updates. Built in 1954 and probably hasn't been updated since the 70s aside from paint. 1000sqft, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, and a "partially finished" basement. Kitchen/dining room needs a full gut and update. The rest of the house could get away with just some updating touches.

c634e7212a519d4ae28d7144247ca552.jpg

4be2b2f5684075d1c4ce492bb0448a13.jpg

4e1d8174499741d2330ac15b8b38ca41.jpg

f2adddab277247fccfbbe929a3c6b3ab.jpg

cd29cc1679d0518a544204a62250c36e.jpg

Garage set up is a modest 2.5 car. 24'x24' with room next to it for my trailer. It'll need to throw a roof on it probably next summer so I'm thinking that at that time I'll knock out the back wall another 6, so its a 24x30. While it won't help with width, it'll give me plenty of more room to have a dedicated "workshop" area in front of the cars.

320403279070b9187a97092c0d278fa5.jpg

Plans and concepts to come soon!

that's awesome brian!  congratulations on the new garage and house!  definitely post up some more pictures once you get the paperwork all signed over.

Haha thanks guys! Specs of the garage are up there but the picture didn't come through @95riosnake

Here's a few more pics for the virtual tour!

22018238140_9672acf8d9_b.jpg

Future home of my trailer!

22018154490_7612128b01_b.jpg

The neighbor has a corvette so we'll see how well we get along :evillaugh:

22019360289_1a42fd7b56_b.jpg

The sorry excuse for a "back porch". we'll see what time has to come with that later!

21583470064_13629a4368_b.jpg

Oh ok, somehow I missed that about the garage size lol. 24' x 24' works well enough, at least it isn't 17' wide like my old 2 car lol. Luckily your neighbor's vette is dildo purple and most likely is an auto... lol I think you miiiiight be able to take him.

Congratulations!  It looks like a very nice neighborhood and like the home has a lot of opportunities to improve upon it and really make it your own!  Great little starter house!  I like it!

Thanks y'all! Got the keys yesterday so went over there to just take it all in, all empty and barren haha it's a new feeling for sure.

Congratulations! It looks like a very nice neighborhood and like the home has a lot of opportunities to improve upon it and really make it your own! Great little starter house! I like it!

The neighborhood is definitely awesome! Lots of young families moving in as the older gen moves out. While I'm definitely not a young family yet, it definitely put me in a desired location for years to come!

Congratulations looks like a great first house with a lot of upside to it!!

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Oh ok, somehow I missed that about the garage size lol. 24' x 24' works well enough, at least it isn't 17' wide like my old 2 car lol. Luckily your neighbor's vette is dildo purple and most likely is an auto... lol I think you miiiiight be able to take him.

Lmaooo dildo purple and sexual teal, sounds like we should get along perfect

The 80's ski jackets were horrible!!!! So glad I didn't ride back then to of ever been caught wearing something so hideous!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

you know you're just jealous.

Been playing around at the house the past few days taking it all in an appreciating the silence lol

Nice little panorama of the new garage:

da925b63b50434e03f52edd4822e47a9.jpg

When we were doing final walk through we noticed a bit of water in the bottom of the electrical feed to the box in the basement. Assumed it was because leaves were in the gutters and it was backing up into the box outside.

Well while cleaning the gutters out today, I discovered the culprit:

4d2ce0650b453e27d94edfc861f3c1c0.jpg

Definitely going to have to call the electrical company about that since I'm fairly positive they're responsible for the feed until it enters the meter!

Same goes with water. They are responsible up to your meter and after that good luck!!!! :-)

That's not true everywhere.  It sure isn't in Illinois, anyway.  The house I grew up in was ~110 years old.  My parents and a lot of other folks in our neighborhood encountered hefty bills having new lines pulled through the yard and into the house.  A lot of the original plumbing in the neighborhood was lead and it all started to rot out at about the same time.

Anything in the street the city was responsible for, everything beyond that in the yard, including the parking strip we on the hook for.

Been playing around at the house the past few days taking it all in an appreciating the silence lol

Nice little panorama of the new garage:

da925b63b50434e03f52edd4822e47a9.jpg

Looks like a nice working area.  I'd be ripping the cabinets down, running all of the wiring I needed and then insulating the shit out that before I did anything else with it.

So your saying your water meters are up at your house?!? The lines from the meter to your house would be your responsibility.

Anywhere I've ever been the meters are as close to the edge of your property where it ties into the public supply. They have to be responsible for the pipes leading up to the meter so that they can account for where it's going.

The meter was in the basement, actually.  Not sure why Illinois is different (a lot of stuff is here, this state is... ugh), but they even sell insurance to cover this sort of thing in this state.

The meter was in the basement, actually. Not sure why Illinois is different (a lot of stuff is here, this state is... ugh), but they even sell insurance to cover this sort of thing in this state.

Actually Michigan is the same way, sanitary too. City tie in is at the street, everything from the street to your house us your responsibility. Like @Tabres said, they sell insurance that helps cover if anything fails

When I lived in nc, in, tn, here in ky, and it's the same as I've seen in fl where my family lives it's always out by the road.

That's really weird that it's in yalls houses.

But this is Bryan's thread and I don't want to clog this.

So Bryan, where's your meters?!?! Lol

Starting tearing out the inside for the changes I'm making before I move in.

On the list of pre move in items:

-Hardwood refinish

-Kitchen remodel

-Minor painting

-Resealing seams along flashing on roof around chimney

Removal of moldings and carpet to prep for refinish:

e6aaa341a83db785aefc7ac54ec259bb.jpg

89cea5e2f77292355976093091ffc916.jpg

0594586cd9242af4892635c725efd756.jpg

Some gouging in the floors, thinking that this whole area may need to be replaced but we'll see what the guy I'm having do it says.

e7f0f0ec1d34f860974198cb0a5323ef.jpg

865719499c427150f453575b8e0656ee.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk