Det_Riot

The Not-So-Sexual Whale Cave

God some good progress done on the house and got a few different quotes for hardwood. Finally decided on a contractor so they'll be starting that project on monday.

In the meantime I've been working on redoing the dining room area.

Used BIN shellac primer on all the knotty pine knots. Two coats.

f7371ceed8ba9b9e4e232fecaf9e4770.jpg

90dbcadacb1c4ff1bd7e60fad476c93e.jpg

And finished taping off all of the moldings around the windows.

b51c606e10732824f27d8d41f52c246b.jpg

Gave the rest of the knotty a good wash down with some TSP/water mix and then thoroughly washed it after before the first coat of oil based primer

After the first coat of primer

f57e3aff630adf4b17e33f6b910b9331.jpg

17bf5313aefea9ff1d0e7b7f884cbf6d.jpg

a486d8be02e17d335763e35a266ad74b.jpg

And second coat

13af06894c61cfad05431885ff5fc04b.jpg

8bfb3e2aaa9da5a12c050b26d8f5cf29.jpg

Didn't get full pictures of the rest of the room but the white changed the entire tone of the walls. A million times better, and that's only the final layer if primer!

looking good where is the teal room ?

That'll probably be his bedroom. You know; to go along with the whole sexual teal theme. ;)

Not quite sexual teal but my master bed is this pretty nifty green hahah1c6f1bddcacedd4c289e5ba6d2c04d86.jpg

Going to give the same treatment to the kitchen cabinets also?  Don't imagine you're going to leave them knotty pine?

Looks really nice!  I'm looking forward to seeing finished photos of the floor.

Going to give the same treatment to the kitchen cabinets also? Don't imagine you're going to leave them knotty pine?

Looks really nice! I'm looking forward to seeing finished photos of the floor.

Kitchen is getting a full reconfigure somewhere soon down the line. Didn't want to waste effort on something iw as going to tear out. They may make their way into the garage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I wish there was more done than is but house mods are much less fun than car mods, though arguably equally rewarding when you finally see it all come together! 

Starting with the project that will be the bane to my existence, the main bath! 

Note: I have a terrible habit of starting projects without taking quality before photos for comparison sake as well as progress pictures. I'm definitely no @95riosnake or @Prokiller haha

Pictures for before comparison:

IS9lqjoy9o7xhp1000000000.jpg

22216596851_59f8f63b77_b.jpg

So the bathroom was bad, floor tile cracked around toilet, wall tile had cracks in the grout, everything was old and outdated. Dealt with it when I had roommates for about a year. They moved out and Jo and I decided that it was time to do something when she was shaving her leg up on the soap dish and it fell out of he wall with the drywall. So here's some pictures of demo!

Some definite signs of water damage as well as previous occupancy of termites sometime before my ownership. No evidence of anything living with any recency. 

37722827612_0589e92f1e_b.jpg

23901682908_2592cfe214_b.jpg

37722826312_755ce49f55_b.jpg

37722816612_ea612119e7_b.jpg

Work on the end walls began. We were going to strip out just the area around the tub but figured we might as well just do it once and do it right. 

37754578191_81683bd7e6_b.jpg

A celebration for a Demolition day well done!

37045429704_fb2812be44_b.jpg

The old floor tile

37715251736_cf1a0301b8_b.jpg

Cast Iron Bathtub removed and full exterior wall exposed. All rotted wood was removed and walls reframed with fresh lumbar. 

37722832062_c4d57ed755_b.jpg

37722830202_007becefd0_b.jpg

Conveniently didn't take pictures for about 4 months of intermittent hidden work. Installed a new ceiling fan and light combo ran to a new lightswitch next to the door frame. Also added a new outlet near where the vanity will be. New plumbing and shut offs for the tub and shower, fixed a bunch of leaks below the bathroom from the basement where it leaked into the basement bathroom ceiling.

37706121366_a9f4389579_b.jpg

Installed a new deep soaking tub, sheetrocked the area around the tub, and greenboard for the rest of the bath.

37496225050_d1baa4d33c_b.jpg

After careful deliberation and some colorful back and forth, we decided on herringbone subway tiles. The attention to detail will definitely set the house apart from the rest of the houses in the neighborhood that have been remodeled recently. However, the attention to detail needed has proven to be the death of me as during the process there were definitely some learning points that I wish I would have known before.

First critical mistake: Starting at a random point on the wall

37722829202_0171d5dcf8_b.jpg

Why was this a mistake? Building down a pattern isn't so bad. However, it is bad when the pattern slowly starts to shift and you realize you're off 1/2" halfway down the wall.

Pull off tile, start over again from horizontal line and build up:

23901690618_c9e80d7daa_b.jpg

Ahhhhh much better. 

37045429224_a6737901af_b.jpg

37706124336_551b1d841d_b.jpg

Helper came to assist with the fine details

23901691478_61a54f96ab_b.jpg

Evidence of my horizontal plan

37045430154_4174c08153_b.jpg

Why was the random starting point in the wall decision terrible? because every single tile at the corner, top of the bath, and ceiling, now have to be individually cut to fit due to the unsquareness of the house. Going back, I would of started with a full tile set 45* at the corner of the room ontop of the tub. Live and learn. 

ah the joy's of tiling....i don't miss that part.  granted with the large format tiles i did, it wasn't complex like yours.  but the finished product of this will turn out amazing.  what's the plan for the floor?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

ah the joy's of tiling....i don't miss that part.  granted with the large format tiles i did, it wasn't complex like yours.  but the finished product of this will turn out amazing.  what's the plan for the floor?

No, no I won't miss it when it's over. The devil's the detials like I mentioned now. Aside from the hundreds of small triangle pieces, the biggest question mark at this point is what the fuck to do with around the window. We got some bullnose piece and are thinking of just using a marine spec adhesive just to get them to bite into something but it's going to require sanding of the rest of the tiles fairly evenly so fucking me right up -__-

37496224800_27c93e261b_b.jpg

37045429474_b086c54b01_b.jpg

37706123926_42b7e4ff91_b.jpg

37722829452_92134b827d_b.jpg

23901688388_222529fa41_b.jpg

23901692098_9cb6dee83e_b.jpg

As far as the flooring, we're going with the same tile for the Kitchen/Dining Area, Main Floor Bath, and Front Entryway. The house is only 1,000 sqft so our thought was to keep it all cohesive since it's such a small house in general. Here's progress of the front entry vestibule as of two nights ago. Again, no before pictures that really show what was there, but that green you see on the floor in the first picture is the backing of some super shitty vinyl "tile". I should have started in the closet and worked my way back out but I was more concerned with how the outside of the closet looked so I laid that down first and will finish up the closet tonight. 

Similar to what was on the ground, just with a little darker reds.

xvinyl-sheet-flooring.jpg.pagespeed.ic.L

37753706001_5269dd176f_b.jpg

Found out once we got the old shit adhered tile peeled back that they attached it directly to the existing hardwood -__________- Wish we would have known this earlier as I would of redone it with the rest of the house but it is what it is, I wanted to tile the front entryway anyways. So used the circular saw to separate the hardwood from what needs to be removed and what is staying, put another slot down the middle of the to be removed section and went to down with a prybar and a hammer.

Almost done with removal, had to get creative and precise with a sawzall to remove sections like this where the circular had interferences with the wall.

37495278350_fd7ec448f0_b.jpg

New cement board laid down over the existing subfloor

37721852332_057296708f_b.jpg

Getting a feel for the pattern

37721852582_10006dbeaf_b.jpg

Precutting tiles, something I should of done with the bathroom as well, because holy shit did it make life 1754168189467x easier

37495278420_4f1001f9d4_b.jpg

37495277650_42c6936639_b.jpg

37705185166_bccb37b027_b.jpg

Once the tiles were all precut, pulled them back up and went to town mudding the pieces of cement board together once they were screwed down

37753690921_aedc130cec_b.jpg

And Front half of the tile laid!

37044487094_1dd5402b0d_b.jpg

• Like 2

i really like that tile!  and i don't think you approached it the wrong way.  i started our flooring in the closet and worked our way out.  it came out fine, but the vanity wall, all the pieces had to be cut longways to align with the wall.  it wasn't fun.  and for your case, trim will cover up the area and...it's a freakin closet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

i really like that tile!  and i don't think you approached it the wrong way.  i started our flooring in the closet and worked our way out.  it came out fine, but the vanity wall, all the pieces had to be cut longways to align with the wall.  it wasn't fun.  and for your case, trim will cover up the area and...it's a freakin closet. 

Precisely lol I had to trim the 24" planks longways for the back wall of the closet. What a pain in the dick. Luckily it was only about 3/4", so when the tile saw maxed out, all I had to do was snap off the cut section and move it right along. 

Tile/wood is not something I am looking forward to.  Luckily when I bought the house they put in fresh carpet, so I am good to save for a little bit!

Also, I love how I invented a name so many years ago, and it is still lovingly used in all aspects of your life lolol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

i really want to tile my basement bathroom that is what I will be working on this winter , I think I will heat the floor too

That's on our next list of house mods after the upstairs bath. We're thinking about doing it with the upstairs bath since we haven't laid cement board down or anything yet but you have to put a thermostat box in and we aren't too keen to tearing into the freshly finished walls. It's fairly reasonable to do, I think the Grid and thermostat for a 10x10 bath works out to be only like $400, which in the grand scheme of a bathroom remodel isn't shit.

5 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Tile/wood is not something I am looking forward to.  Luckily when I bought the house they put in fresh carpet, so I am good to save for a little bit!

Also, I love how I invented a name so many years ago, and it is still lovingly used in all aspects of your life lolol

Tiling isn't bad as long as you're smart a bout it. My bathroom wall experience was a perfect example of a not smart tiling experience.

<3 sexual teal whale cannon for life

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

Looks great! I love me some wood look tile.

Thanks man! JoAnna picked it out and I must say that I'm in love with how it turned out.

Finished up tiling the front vestibule last night, grouting today and finishing up the transition piece. Then its painting the molding and reassembly!

Guest appearance from Brembo 

37743432066_2e4a3a2a4d_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 7:23 AM, Yeahloh95 said:

very nice ... when you coming to pa again? I might need some tile help lol

I'll make sure to let you know on a last minute trip =D

10 hours ago, Blackmage said:

no wonder the teal whale cannon is getting neglected ;) 

You ain't lying! I'm going to try and work on allocating some time and money to it next year once we get this house sorted out a bit more.

2 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Wow man, youre doing some good work in here!

Whats your plan for the transition from the tile to the wood?

We just picked up a little "T" piece to sit in the space between the tile and the wood. I should of set it in there when I was tiling but I wasn't totally thinking. Now I've got to either trim the wood or the tile to get it to fit the slot, see pics:

37237567944_9e3a01c21f_b.jpg

Also painted and put the molding back together. Need to get some new shoe molding for this and the rest of the room as most of it got trashed during removal. 

26170753859_141661db10_b.jpg

37915559232_32c0bc6cbe_b.jpg

Need some advice/ideas. looking at the door, you can see where there's an opening below. So apparently the floor of the house sits below the top of the foundation walls. Why do I know this? Because the "threshold" (I think that's what it's called) is non existent and the door just has this shoddy trim piece on the top of the pour. I have no idea how to make this look clean and not like complete ass garbage. It's real frustrating and looks like complete shit. @95riosnake @Prokiller @Number Tew @Yeahloh95

Any ideas?

[37915559082_7fcacc8f8d_b.jpg 

2 hours ago, Prokiller said:

get a new one from lowes/depot.  get some tapcons and a masonry bit and drill it in to the concrete.  foam the crap out of any gaps.

What do you think to do along the vertical edge where the tile meets the concrete? Try and get a small piece of wood just to "mold" it in?

looking at that picture again...i was looking at it backwards.  i was thinking the bottom of the picture was the outside of the house looking in.  but it's actually the new tile you laid down.

you could get creative and throw pieces of the floor tile on that sill wall and then have the new threshold be larger to cover the top.  probably the classiest look.  another route would be to get some trim and screw it to the concrete just like it would be on the walls.  wood putty being your friend here.  last option, and the easiest probably, is to get a piece of quarter round and just glue it down.

• Moderators

Find some mosaic tile and tile the vertical part of that "threshold."  That's how we handle transitions between flooring in the houses we build at work, instead of using T molding.

Kick plate for the door area...a piece of 5/4. Or rip a piece of tile. Theres a ton of ways to do it but that crappy pic leaves me little to go on. As for the T strip uggg thats homepo shit if I ever saw it. 

3 hours ago, 95opal said:

Kick plate for the door area...a piece of 5/4. Or rip a piece of tile. Theres a ton of ways to do it but that crappy pic leaves me little to go on. As for the T strip uggg thats homepo shit if I ever saw it. 

5/4 seems like it's going to be the best "looking" option, then I'll just hit it with some 1/4 round like the rest of the room to blend it in. Yeah the T-strip wasn't the most ideal situation but the wait for the right transition piece was like 4 weeks so I'm just making due.

5 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Find some mosaic tile and tile the vertical part of that "threshold."  That's how we handle transitions between flooring in the houses we build at work, instead of using T molding.

hmmmm not a terrible thought

5 hours ago, Prokiller said:

looking at that picture again...i was looking at it backwards.  i was thinking the bottom of the picture was the outside of the house looking in.  but it's actually the new tile you laid down.

you could get creative and throw pieces of the floor tile on that sill wall and then have the new threshold be larger to cover the top.  probably the classiest look.  another route would be to get some trim and screw it to the concrete just like it would be on the walls.  wood putty being your friend here.  last option, and the easiest probably, is to get a piece of quarter round and just glue it down.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the second option as the most feasible one. It'll also extend the sealing surface of the door which definitely isn't a bad thing as you get quite the draft through the door.