Tony

Rear end flex, articulation, twist or w/e you call it

I started a thread months ago kind of asking somewhat of the same question but not really lol. I seem to be the one and only person with this issue even though i had the same problem with my old gt. 

What i would like to know...is there any certain component available that will reduce the amount of twist in the rear end? Mine will twist to the point of my rear wheel on either side goes directly up into the fender. Even enough to cause a spring to completely fall out on the opposite side. With having wider tires i hope to be able to avoid this as i know it will destroy my tire very quickly. Anyone have any ideas what i could toss in the rear suspension to keep it from flexing or twisting so much? Thanks for any info 

twisting isn't really the right word to use but i think you're looking for torque arm and panhard bar solution.  or go IRS...

Or maybe even a Watts Link.  IF it was a drag car then I would say go with an anti-roll bar.  But those are no bueno on the street.

But I think your best solution in this case would be IRS on air!  :2thumb:

I just don't get how no one else has this issue. Just do a rear coilover and they can't unseat

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

the spring coming out isn't really the problem so much now as i replaced the coils with eibach pro kit ones back when i had that issue. now i just don't want my sidewalls chewed up from the wheel being pushed up into the fender. 

wouldn't a panhard bar just keep it from shifting side-side? or am i wrong on that lol? 

No you're right. the only way to stop what you're seeing is to run real stiff springs that won't allow body roll, or maybe a tighter rest sidewall.

No you're right. the only way to stop what you're seeing is to run real stiff springs that won't allow body roll, or maybe a tighter rest sidewall.

ok cool. that may do the trick. trying to avoid HAVING to bag the car. whats a tighter rest sidewall lol? 

Jesus fuck autocorrect troll. Tighter rear sway bar*

lmfao i thought that was a thing...google's like did you mean..did you mean...did you mean :P 

I used to cut up my 335 dr sidewalls until I I switched to panhard bar and tq arm. An added bonus was I was able to lower the rear more because the rear axle is located much better. The panhard bar and tq arm is just better all around.

The rears now only lightly rub on the inside when articulating into very steep driveways. No sidewall cutting. 335 Nitto DR on a 11" wide wheel. The inner fender was "coaxed" with a dead blow hammer as well to minimize rubbing when it was a stock 4 link.

why avoid the inevitable  :D

you're right man im going to have to do it and hope to make myself NOT drive slammed lol. 

I used to cut up my 335 dr sidewalls until I I switched to panhard bar and tq arm. An added bonus was I was able to lower the rear more because the rear axle is located much better. The panhard bar and tq arm is just better all around.

The rears now only lightly rub on the inside when articulating into very steep driveways. No sidewall cutting. 335 Nitto DR on a 11" wide wheel. The inner fender was "coaxed" with a dead blow hammer as well to minimize rubbing when it was a stock 4 link.

just not sure how a torque arm and panhard will keep me from articulating lol. i think my only real option is air ride. 

just another component to correct geometry but do nothing to avoid excessive articulation. appreciate the effort though hunter. 

other than going with a stiff spring and mounting some sort of massive bump stop somewhere on each side i see no other choice but go with an air suspension.

There are 3 ways you're going to stop your tire from hitting your fender lip without air ride.

1) Roll/pull quarters to clear wheel/tire

2) Run a narrower wheel/tire or a more positive offset

3) Bumpstops

As far as limiting suspension droop (opposite side spring falling out) you could run a limiter strap like the long travel off road guys run. IMO the root issue here that is causing both issues is having the spring shorter than it was designed to be for its spring rate. Before the spring compresses enough to stop it from hitting the fender, it has hit the fender, whereas if it were longer, it might have compressed enough beforehand to slow the travel before hitting the fender.

What kind of entrances/approach angles are you hitting that you're effectively causing one side of the rear suspension to completely unload and reach full droop? I did that one time and sliced the hoooooly shit out of my old 555R's on my silver Y2K's and never did it again. I couldn't go a bunch of places but preferred it to fucking up my shit. If you absolutely need to keep driving the car into that situation (I know it's irritating not being able to go some places... hence the core reason for my move to air ride), you're going to need to correct the problem rather than limiting the suspension travel.

Short term easiest fix will be to weld a threaded sleeve to the inner frame rail above the axle tube and thread in something like these:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.9132

And a stiffer rear sway bar should decrease suspension droop on the opposite side some because that is essentially exaggerated body roll.

@95riosnake the worst entrance i deal with is my driveway/backyard where i keep my car. no gas station or anything is worse than that. i have to come in at an angle and that cause one side to push up into the wheel well. 

i appreciate the info fellas! i've made up my mind to just go forward with air ride. solves all my problems. i just wanted to spend that $$ elsewhere is all and just run coilovers. no worries though bags it is  :)

The swaggiest fix of all would be to stretch your tires (or at least get rid of the bulge). I noticed your running a 315 on a 10" wheel and the picture you posted of the setup looked like a sidewall disaster. 

A properly rolled pulled fender will also go a long way. My rear tires are in amazing condition for what they go through. My fender lip rests on the tire (not the sidewall though :) ) when the weight of the driver is present. I've never had any problem coming in at angles and cutting up the tires when the rear flexes.

Unfortunately even reducing body flex in the rear will not completely solve your issue of cutting/rubbing the tire, at least not for how low you want to be. 

you're right man im going to have to do it and hope to make myself NOT drive slammed lol. 

just not sure how a torque arm and panhard will keep me from articulating lol. i think my only real option is air ride. 

You will articulate but the axle will be centered and located correct.  Resulting in less outside rub.  You can also run much stiffer springs with a modified three link (panhard/tq arm).  The reason you can't run super stiff with stock quadrabind is because of the bind induced by the crappy design.  It will also result in snap over steer.

You don't want to get rid of articulation, articulation is traction. You want the axle centered and no weird location issues (cause of quadralink) while articulating.

Like I said, 18x11 with 335's and no cutting of the outside tire.  Granted I ain't uber low but I cut something fierce before switching over.  Now no issues.

The swaggiest fix of all would be to stretch your tires (or at least get rid of the bulge). I noticed YOU'RE running a 315 on a 10" wheel and the picture you posted of the setup looked like a sidewall disaster. 

Unfortunately even reducing body flex in the rear will not completely solve your issue of cutting/rubbing the tire, at least not for how low you want to be. 

no offense but looking at your pics with your yellowed spray painted tires smeared to the point of non legible goo is in my opinion a disaster. i assume that is from tire rub level 40k?? 

and i don't even know what you mean by body flex in the rear. 

i think you need some sort of adjustable spring that you could add air to and raise the car when needed??? maybe someone has heard of something like this

googling it right now 

i guess when i see cars like this i just assumed there was something i don't know that keeps them from destroying their tires and quarter panels. 

10731996_922009821205712_759054450_n.jpg

11325267_939915799388021_1247583687_n.jp

f0dd4caa.jpg

but i guess it will remain a mystery cause the very first time i'd try to pull in my driveway or any parking lot i'd destroy my tire and quarter panel asap lol. 

Pretty sure that rio red car hasn't actually started in 20 years. Those pics were taken after they pushed it out of the garage..........

:P

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

gNrPhsO.gif

And I already told you how I kept from ruining my shit Tony, I just drove flat places only lol.

no offense but looking at your pics with your yellowed spray painted tires smeared to the point of non legible goo is in my opinion a disaster. i assume that is from tire rub level 40k?? 

and i don't even know what you mean by body flex in the rear. 

I meant your sidewall bulging like that is a disaster waiting to happen if your fender starts pressing into it. No need to bring my car into this nor get mad  :)  

Yes, my tires rub on level 40k, but they are in near perfect condition, minus being at about 50% tread from the previous owner. I know what the issue you're facing is, as I also encounter it. Very rarely, but it happens.  :)

It sounds like you have made the decision to go bags though, so hopefully that will solve all your issues  :)

:)

:)

i think you need some sort of adjustable spring that you could add air to and raise the car when needed??? maybe someone has heard of something like this

Pretty sure you mean this. I guarantee it will do the trick.

spring-thing-inflatable-twisty-floating-

what about those shocks that are threaded with the spring over top of the shock then you can adjust them i cant think of the name right now coil something ????

well they aren't called air springs :P in fact i don't think anything is called air springs 

The way mine doesn't cut is because I've rolled my fenders real right and beat the snot out of my inner fenders. They rub but don't cut

yours don't seem to poke out really. kinda sit nice and flush from what i remember. but yea...i've rolled my fender lips a long time ago. 

try rolling yours

The way mine doesn't cut is because I've rolled my fenders real right and beat the snot out of my inner fenders. They rub but don't cut

real right and see if that helps