laddanator

Ladd's Mystic Teminator Build

Just wanted to go ahead and get this started. I did a complete 04 Cobra swap, front to back on my 96 Mystic few months ago. I have a Teksid block laying around, and now have decided to rebuild it to Terminator specs. I will post pics, just wanted to get this build thread started. I rebuilt this Teksid 7 thousand miles ago, but felt like it need another go. I'm sending the block to Tim, over at MPR (Mustang Performance Racing) to work his magic. I'm going with Wiseco pistons, and rods. The Wiseco stuff has been proven to be stronger than Manley stuff, and come with 7/16 ARP rod bolts, instead of the 3/8 stuff Manley comes with (or so the Manley's in the Cobra). I'm using a brand new set of Ford Racing DC heads for this build, with Brian Tooley springs, and L&M GT500 Custom grind cams. Here is a few pics. I will get all of these in order as I do it.

1. The new Heads

IxF2df.jpg
cLzkKh.jpg
FN4T2U.jpg

2. Cobra Engineering 8mm Dowel Upgrade Kit

x5LPLQ.jpg

3. Teksid Bare and Ready To Ship

vHXnYj.jpg
4STMQW.jpg

Been looking forward to a build thread for this awesome stang!  

I APPROVE!

Approval-thumbs-up-GIF-36.gif

I plan on going with Gibtec pistons when I build up the spare Teksid for mine.  They can make them to any bore size you need.  Not just .010, .020. etc.  So if the cylinders only needed a little cleaning up then they could be a good choice.  They are a little bit pricey but are pretty much the best piston for a blown modular.

Been looking forward to a build thread for this awesome stang!  

I APPROVE!

Approval-thumbs-up-GIF-36.gif

I plan on going with Gibtec pistons when I build up the spare Teksid for mine.  They can make them to any bore size you need.  Not just .010, .020. etc.  So if the cylinders only needed a little cleaning up then they could be a good choice.  They are a little bit pricey but are pretty much the best piston for a blown modular.

I also looked at Gibtec as well. What did they price you for a set?

I also looked at Gibtec as well. What did they price you for a set?

I hadn't gotten a quote yet as I'm a long ways off from getting a set.  But I believe some have been getting the entire set which includes wrist pins and rings for around $1300-$1400.  But they are 100% custom made to your exact specs. 

I hadn't gotten a quote yet as I'm a long ways off from getting a set.  But I believe some have been getting the entire set which includes wrist pins and rings for around $1300-$1400.  But they are 100% custom made to your exact specs.

I talked to Gibtec today, 1300 is correct, but then you have to buy rods. I have no doubt best pistons, but probably overkill for my project. I can get Wiseco pistons, rods, wrist pins, and rings for 1300 on sale.

I just found out Teksid block one is out. Been bored 20 over, and I can't remember if torque plates were used. This means for Tim, to hone, and use torque plates now, I'd have to get an odd ball 3.576 piston made or go 30 over. That's just too thin for me. I have a 49 thousand virgin Teksid block that I will use instead. Get it bored 20 over, and I can use the common 3.572 piston.

So my build has changed again. I'm going to use a GT500 M122 blower setup. Cobra Engineering makes a lower adapter plate for this swap. Proven over 600 HP with the proper setup, which most of it I have. Cost me a grand between the blower, and kit. You can't beat that price, for the HP! :)

Is there something wrong with the motor that you swapped into the mystic? I get that you had a spare block but that's a LOT of extra cash to spend unless you were wanting to grow under the hood of the mystic for some reason.

• Like 1

Is there something wrong with the motor that you swapped into the mystic? I get that you had a spare block but that's a LOT of extra cash to spend unless you were wanting to grow under the hood of the mystic for some reason.

Maybe he'd like to still drive the car until the second engine is ready to swap in.  That's the reasoning behind getting another block to build up for my car.

• Like 1

Maybe he'd like to still drive the car until the second engine is ready to swap in.  That's the reasoning behind getting another block to build up for my car.

Just to clarify I wasn't criticizing his choice to build this motor. Was just wondering what the reason was.

• Like 1

Sorry for the slow updates; lots going on. Nothing wrong with the motor in Mysty now. I actually sold the motor that I used in the swap, which is pretty much paying for the new motor. I'm installing bigger cams, and if I'm going to pull the motor for this (I know it's not required, but easier) I figured I'd make some other upgrades as well. Better pistons, rods, oiling system, heads, timing chain guide dowels, and so on. I've never like using a motor that I didn't build. I'm also doing a complete wire tuck, ScootRodPanels, with a complete repaint of the engine bay, and entire car (another reason I'm pulling the motor). The swap motor had more miles on it than I liked, and just wanted to start with a zero mile rebuilt motor, setup the way I liked.

I hope to get some more pics up soon. More goodies have arrived! :)

Sorry for the slow updates; lots going on. Nothing wrong with the motor in Mysty now. I actually sold the motor that I used in the swap, which is pretty much paying for the new motor. I'm installing bigger cams, and if I'm going to pull the motor for this (I know it's not required, but easier) I figured I'd make some other upgrades as well. Better pistons, rods, oiling system, heads, timing chain guide dowels, and so on. I've never like using a motor that I didn't build. I'm also doing a complete wire tuck, ScootRodPanels, with a complete repaint of the engine bay, and entire car (another reason I'm pulling the motor). The swap motor had more miles on it than I liked, and just wanted to start with a zero mile rebuilt motor, setup the way I liked.

I hope to get some more pics up soon. More goodies have arrived! :)

just follow him on facebook and you see all the new goodies

Hey, guys! A serious elbow injury took me out of the game for awhile. I'm slowly coming back around. Just got my Airtech airbag stuff today, and waiting on a set of custom Speedhut gauges to be delivered. Also got a dash out of an 04 to put in Mysty. Couldn't take not actually having the right dash for my dual din, and 04 Cobra fuse box. I had to do some hacking to my 96 dash to make it all work, and it has bugged me for over a year.

• Like 1

Wow! You would not believe how much Mysty has changed since I started this build thread! I need to get all my pics, and stuff organized to seriously update this thread! 

So I'll post a little something I'm doing this weekend. I'm install touch start. Not push start, but touch start. Doing it the right way. This isn't a turn your key, push a button kinda thing. This will be an electronic fob that you keep in your pocket, and touch a button deal. Car doors will automatically unlock as I approach the car, and lock as I move away from the car. Neat little setup! 

Edited by laddanator

1 hour ago, laddanator said:

Wow! You would not believe how much Mysty has changed since I started this build thread! I need to get all my pics, and stuff organized to seriously update this thread! 

So I'll post a little something I'm doing this weekend. I'm install touch start. Not push start, but touch start. Doing it the right way. This isn't a turn your key, push a button kinda thing. This will be an electronic fob that you keep in your pocket, and touch a button deal. Car doors will automatically unlock as I approach the car, and lock as I move away from the car. Neat little setup! 

please please do a write up of this.  this is something i would love to do!

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

This.  Although full on race car set up with 23095472 switches is equally as intriguing.

To say Mysty has changed is an understatement!  It's full on EVOLVED!

And YES post many pics and that exhaust vid that John shot.

I still wished I saw it in person when you brought it to town that day. 

9 hours ago, Prokiller said:

9 hours ago, Prokiller said:

I will 

8 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

This.  Although full on race car set up with 23095472 switches is equally as intriguing.

Probably not going that route! Lol

8 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

To say Mysty has changed is an understatement!  It's full on EVOLVED!

And YES post many pics and that exhaust vid that John shot.

I still wished I saw it in person when you brought it to town that day. 

How do you know, Jon? Where do you live? And yes, will get some pics, and that video up. 

3 hours ago, laddanator said:

How do you know, Jon? Where do you live? And yes, will get some pics, and that video up. 

Chris; it is I Trinity.  

I'm still living in Roxboro.  Well Hurdle Mills actually.  I've known Jon as well as the many Mustang enthusiasts around here for years.

• Supporting Member
On 5/22/2018 at 7:45 AM, laddanator said:

sooooo, uhhh, pics? Write up?