Nevets1021

97 cobra motor in 2001 gt..help!,

Hey guys, I am new to this form but I was wondering if anyone could help me on this issue. I bought a 97 cobra motor and trans and I plan on swapping it into my 2001 mustang gt. The cobra came with a engine harness and ecu. I have been reading a lot about this swap, but I haven't been able to get definite answers. Should I use cobra engine harness and ecu or gt? It's standard also so that should be a direct swap. Engine only has 40,000 miles on it. I also have a sctx4 tuner if that helps with anyone's answers. I am kinda lost on if this will work in my car. I should have done my homework before I bought. I have acces to a lift and any tool imaginable. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The gt computer will run it if you disconnect the imrc's. I'm not sure how many additional sensors are on the 01 vs my 98, if any, but on my 98 gt, the 32v swap went flawlessly. I think you might have to do something about the fuel system because iirc, yours is returnless and the fuel rail on the cobra is not. But as far as the gt vs cobra computer goes, the gt computer will run it. Just make sure you use the matching injectors and maf to that computer. 

Thank you for response...Hmm...would my handheld tuner (sctx4) be able to tune for the bigger injectors and maf. I just figured out fuel rails. What about the coils. Spark plug..what did you do with that?

Not sure about the sctx4, I've never used one. As for the coils, I just reused them. I'm currently splicing together my old Lincoln harness though to turn into a cop system. 

you have an 01 GT so you have COP's.  Get a set of 97-98 Mark VIII valve covers or a set of 99+ 4v valve covers and you can re-use your ignition system, just need different coil packs iirc.   you dont need to match the injectors and MAF right off the bat.  I was running my GT(19lb) MAF and 24 lb/hr injectors and it ran fine.    The SCT x4 will be able to tune your car, no worries there.   

Thanks guys for response ......just got everything hooked up. Went to start and it wouldn't turn over. It acted like it would but it wouldn't completely crank over. I dint switch the polarity on my cops. I thought the sohc connectors were same as dohc. I did buy dohc cop with valve covers. Egr was deleted . A little lost.  I am getting fuel, the cop are giving spark 

sorry i didnt get back to you sooner on the PM's.  Is the engine actually turning over/cranking?  If it is, is it a fast crank or a slow crank.    It sounds like youre saying its a slow/no crank condition.  I would check battery voltage, and possibly throw a charger on it.  Also, check to make sure the starter is hooked up correctly and all your grounds are hooked up.  Your COPS shouldnt cause a slow/no crank issue.