busta

Breaching firewall (for vac/boost line)

I was installing an Autometer gauge holder yesterday to mount my wideband gauge as well as a boost gauge and had an extremely difficult time trying to feed the tubing for the vac/boost gauge from the engine bay to the cabin. There's a big grommet to the right of the brake booster that I was trying to remove so I could cut & fish the line through and couldn't get that bitch to budge no matter what I tried.

Has anyone drilled through the firewall before? If so where did you do it? That would be my last resort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

'94 Cobra btw.

Edited by busta

i think i used the same place, just used the existing wires that run through it as a guide and just made the hole a bit bigger.  was easier than trying to pull it out.

8 hours ago, Prokiller said:

i think i used the same place, just used the existing wires that run through it as a guide and just made the hole a bit bigger.  was easier than trying to pull it out.

That's what I'm going to have to do. *Should* be easy enough but I was having a hell of a time with it lol. I may use a drill bit to try to carefully put another hole through it.

Tam, I haven't done this in a while however you should be able to get to it from under the dash.  I like to use a piece of small diameter rod and tape the wires to it, then use that to push the wiring through the grommet.  

On 5/25/2016 at 2:06 PM, Steve-Oh said:

Tam, I haven't done this in a while however you should be able to get to it from under the dash.  I like to use a piece of small diameter rod and tape the wires to it, then use that to push the wiring through the grommet.  

I know I'm late to the party, but what Steve-Oh said is exactly how I've done it.  on the heels of that, I use an old crossbow arrow, and cut it back to be a manageable size / length.  It has a point on it so it can pierce if needed, and it's hollow, so sticking the wires INSIDE the hollow tube and taping it makes it a breeze.  

Currently having this issue, i already have my main power wire running through the grommet and there doesn't appear  to be enough room for two more dime sized diameter wires to fit through..

16 hours ago, copmagnet said:

Currently having this issue, i already have my main power wire running through the grommet and there doesn't appear  to be enough room for two more dime sized diameter wires to fit through..

Power wires for what?

I was eventually able to get the boost line through. I kept forcing a pick through the grommet until I could get a hole large enough to slip a clothing hanger through the engine bay into the cabin. Then I slipped the vacuum line over the wire hanger and fed it through again finally with success.

13 hours ago, copmagnet said:

Power wire for my fc2. 

And I have to fit my wideband cable and my electric boost wire through.

Gotcha, That grommet is a real bitch. The rubber is so soft it basically seals itself when you punch through. Just keep grindin'