Prokiller

Black Pearl Evolution Redux

so i guess it's not really a secret as i already did the sub...this winter project has been a stereo overhaul on this thing.  it never had the mach460 and only had tweeters added to the door panels by the previous owner.  i HATE the location of them, but can't remove them or else i'd have holes there.  And i can't find good enough all black door panels to replace them.  granted i haven't really actively looked for replacements in quite a while.

I had bought a 300.4 kicker amp while down in mustang week and then got a good deal on two pairs of kicker component speakers around the holidays.  I've had a mach460 rear deck box sitting for years now with the assumption i would do this at some point.  so here's the start of that

stripped out the factory stuff and had to make new cut outs for the tweeters

20171222_162504

and now with the tweeters mounted:

20180201_172504

wiring them all up.  I wanted to keep the factory wiring that is  routed inside the box, and then connect it to the crossovers on the outside.  here's getting that all done up.  been FOREVER since i had to solder wires together.  not my best work, but it looks more pointy than it ended up as.

20180214_18242820180214_182435

and finished up with all heat shrinked lines and taped up nicely.  ready to mount in the car now.

20180214_185553

I tested the speakers by disconnecting the 1200.1 amp that is driving the sub and hooked up this box and then also the sitting the front components on the floor.  sounded pretty darn good even without the sub in there.  everything works.  i realized that the holes you can see right where the 6x8s are push a LOT of air when it hits.  so i sealed them up after the fact.  so now it's ready to be mounted in the car.

Last week i pulled the RSD out, upper side panels and the rear deck cover out.  man was that dirty.  i'll have to grab some pics of it as i haven't cleaned it up yet.  I stopped there for the night as i didn't have nuts to mount the box up yet.  Might try and do it tonight, we'll see.

Otherwise, i got all the wiring, fuses (breakers actually), and splitters i need to do this.  The very last thing was to get some sound deadening.  i keep an eye on eastwood's sales and got this for $90

https://www.eastwood.com/xmat-sound-deadening-18x32-ines-34-8-sq-ft.html

This is a nice upgrade!  My car doesn't have the 460 system either, and I'm kind of happy about it. However I need to do exactly what you're doing and install component speakers in the doors and deck with an amp.  Nice work too!  Where'd you end up getting the abs plastic from?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve-Oh said:

This is a nice upgrade!  My car doesn't have the 460 system either, and I'm kind of happy about it. However I need to do exactly what you're doing and install component speakers in the doors and deck with an amp.  Nice work too!  Where'd you end up getting the abs plastic from?

i got it off ebay when i did my gauge cluster.  this was left over from that.

• Like 1

i enslaved an individual who "shifts with powers" and paid him in a few beers and a beef stick to do the trunk sound deadening.

20180415_135200

we actually got a lot accomplished yesterday.  the trunk's deadening is done.  fix some wiring that was run to the fuel pump.  finished running the pass side speaker wires to where the amps will go.  ran the signal wires to the back as well.  removed the rear side panels and took the seat belts out.  figured out and drilled the hole for the 0ga wire that will run to the front of the car. figured out roughly where the battery box will go.  ran the 0ga power wire to the front of the car and have it routed the way i want it.  it's currently just zip tied in there temporarily until i finish the engine side.  i figured out where i'm going to mount my T-box and drilled the holes for it, but the screws i had didn't work out so we stopped and got new ones and then beers.  so yeah a really productive afternoon

• Like 2

I thought we got a good bit done! Despite taking apart more of the car then we put back together lol. And anything to fix some of those odd wiring bits the previous people did in the car should help! I hope so anyway. 

I will come back over at some point in this next week and finish the rear decklid area and then we can start putting it back together. Depending on what you do throughout the week. 

On the right track to finish it in a timely fashion i would say!

• Like 1

will do corey.  i'm really interested to hear this new stereo in general and also hwo much it will quiet down the exhaust inside the cabin.  this car isn't quiet by any sense of the word.

it could be worse.  you could hit your head hard enough on the spoiler itself to actually crack the fiberglass and paint like somebody we know.

13 hours ago, Prokiller said:

it could be worse.  you could hit your head hard enough on the spoiler itself to actually crack the fiberglass and paint like somebody we know.

Pretty sure that crack remains to this day, doesn't it? lol

43 minutes ago, Yeahloh95 said:

you never know it might be fixed , come to a show this year Dan and find out lol  and yes I hit it HARD

but that would mean you'd have to bring it out of the garage....that hasn't seen pavement for what 4 years now?

@Shifty I know all too well about that damn latch.  I wish mine would rot in hell.  ;  Curious Ryan to see how you like the mat.  I need to do the car also, mine is absurd right now with the turn downs.  

• Haha 1

got stuff done these last few evenings.

finished up the sound deadening

20180424_19471020180424_194712

20180425_185319

i got some mach460 door pods to use with the setup and removed the old tweeters the previous idiot drilled right into the door panel...😡

20180424_19272220180424_19265920180424_200601

wires routed.  see where the original wiring came through?  i drilled that out larger to allow the connectors to pass through for these.

20180424_200611

the clips on both of these were not that secure.  so i busted out my favorite tube of weatherstripping glue and sealed them up moarbetta

20180425_183544

next i put some panels back in the car.  nothing really special on that, we all know what rear seat panels look like.

i mounted up the distribution block behind the splashshield on the pass side for the battery relocation wiring.

20180425_183415

ran out of christmas trees to put more of the interior back together.  i'd like to put the rest of the interior back together and then work on the amp rack.  i did encounter a problem last night though.  my original plan was have the amps in the back driver's side in the little cubby area.  but the way i routed the RCAs, they aren't long enough now.  i'd really like to keep the routing, so now i'm thinking of having them right under the rear deck on the driver's side tucked as far forward as possible.  Or i put them under the rear seat delete.  i'll see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

I wish I had this much ambition for sound when I did the SN. I was totally cool with speaker wires running to 4 speakers and calling it a day hahah, that and I removed all sound deadening for that weight reduction doeeee

got back at it last night.  

got the door pods mounted up and wires routed and attached to the crossover. (this isn't the final routing)

20180502_181556

then ran into a major roadblock

20180502_183104

my stock doorpanel is on the right.  a panel i picked up a while back, but is a lot worse than what the CL ad said.  the mach460 pods need the panel on the left to fit.  so now i'm looking to get new panels that will fit.  got a lead on a guy out in indiana PA, but it's a ways away to get them that i just don't have time for.  

so after that setback, i finished putting the rear panels in now that i had new xmas trees.  i then put the trunk panels in and cut holes for the battery wires.  then adapted my floor piece for the same.  next i cleaned up the aluminum battery box i've had laying around forever.  i snapped a picture of the starting point, but just realized i didn't take a pic of the now brushed box.  i'll still need to get new latches for the top.  

tonight i'm going to stop and get the mounting straps i want for the power wire that is running up front so i can finalize that wiring tonight. 

• Like 1

You can just cut the bottom of the tweeter enclosure off and it will look just the same.   It doesn't really make a difference in sound tweeters are not put in enclosures normally.

i just installed so yeah i know how they mount, but the problem will be that only one screw will hold it in then.  won't be stable or solid.  hell, @Shifty pods with all three are pretty damn loose.  i glued them together so they wouldn't be sloppy.

made headway on it last night.  got the power wire all mounted up under the car.  will still need to connect it on both ends yet. but at least its run how i want it.

then i shifted to making a temp amp rack as i just don't have the time to get the full thing done where i originally planned to put it.  just too much things going on right now and i really want to take this car to the shows that are all happening in the next month.

wires are just ran at the moment, not cleaned up at all.  i'm still going to make it look presentable, but not show worthy.  it will be hidden under the rear seat delete panel.  still need to get a couple more mounting brackets so the shelf doesn't move around and shorter screws to mount the amps.  plan is to finish that up tonight and start working the battery install and the fuses.

20180509_205002

forgot to snap a picture when i was done last night, but i did finalize up the fuses and the power/ground wiring to the amps.  all of it fits nice and neat on the plank i have the amps mounted to.  it will work for now.  then ran out to jo ann fabrics to get more felt for the floor panel to redo that.  should be able to get that installed tonight and then i can mount the sub and battery box.  looking at the home stretch here, just need to get the power wire ran to the alternator and get new door panels.

forgot again to snap a picture....but i did get the rear seat all back together yesterday.  also pulled the battery out and reran the power wire from the alternator/fuse box to the now fuse box to T-block in the pass fender.  I cleaned up some wiring on the driver's side as well since i won't have the battery there anymore, it was an eye sore.  

the wife was then helping by recovering the truck floor panel with new felt.  We got the sub and floor all mounted up.  still have to trim a bit of the fabric around the sub itself for it to be considered done.  but we're getting there. 

• Like 1

yes they did :)

here's a pic of the amps under the RSD:

20180518_194655

i had an aluminum battery box that i originally planned to use, but had too many issues with trying to get the battery secure and wires routed and and and...  I had this plastic box laying around that i bought YEARS ago(read like 10 years).  made a couple brackets to keep the battery secure.  Have a 200amp breaker in the box.

20180518_194625

not too much to really take pictures of.  the best part of a stereo is the lack of seeing it.  granted this was never the plan, but only because i needed to get the car done.  

the bass really hits for damn sure.  the rest of it sounds pretty good, but needs tweaking.  it sounds a little muddy right now.  @Yeahloh95 said i should turn the gain down on the speaker amp.  in the end i'm very happy with it so far.

if the amps are going to live under the rear seat delete I would like to see a fan on them , you said the front amp was getting warm that would help with that .

dually noted about the possible overheating issue.  the plan is to not have them under there for more than this season.  and what i can also do is leave the top open when not parked at a show.  that way it will allow for more ventilation. 

18 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

2 3" computer fans would do the trick on a switch or even the blue wire

but i'd still have to vent them somewhere which is the problem.

anyway to work a grill into the cover?  Could be as simple as getting some grill material, cutting a hole and mounting it from the back, or getting some small speaker grills that could either mount on top or be pressed into the hole for a smooth look.  At that point fans would help but even just getting some holes in it to breath will be a huge gain.  

for those that don't know.  the car missed carlisle again this year because it was being a bag of dicks.  it decided overnight to not charge anymore.  i tore just about everything apart testing and trying to figure out what went wrong.  spent 5 hours messing with and nothing made any sense.  the generator fuse had blown, but replacing it did nothing.  jumping the alternator voltage regulator didn't do it.  checked all my grounds.  swapped the stupid little resistor in the cluster to test.  amongst other things too.  nothing....

took the truck to carlisle instead and enjoyed the weekend.

Tuesday i go to take the alternator out to get it tested and i hear something hit the floor when i pulled the power wire off (brand new 0ga hydraulically crimped wire).  here the end somehow had enough space in it to cause it to melt.  must have popped the fuse at that point.  but even after i replaced it, it must have had enough resistance built up to not output the 14v.  

get a new end crimped on by the audio shop i got the stuff from instead of redoing it myself.  fired right up and worked like a champ.

of course it couldn't be that easy though...go to tighten down the positive battery clamp and snapped the freakin bolt.

swapped that out last night and drove it to work this morning.