busta

How to: Repair your power seat switch 87-98 Mustang

Last night when installing my MGW Shifter I dropped a bolt in between my driver side seat and center console. To fish it out I raised the power seat up all the way but unfortunately it wouldn't go back down. It seems to be a common problem with these cars that over the years the contacts inside the switch get corroded and no longer make proper contact. The seat still moves forward or back, and obviously moved up so I figured that was likely the case. Upon further research I found that the cheapest I could get a new replacement switch was $189... After a bit of Google searching I stumbled upon this article:

http://www.2men1garage.net/Mustang_Power_Seat_Switch_Repair.pdf

The switch is secured by 2 screws and 3 plugs underneath the seat. Fortunately I didn't have to remove the seat to remove the pigtails because it was in its most upright position already. Disassembly following the tutorial was a breeze and I used electric parts cleaner & a toothbrush to clean the contacts up quickly. I haven't installed the harness back into the car but based on how gunked up the contacts were and how clean they are now I'm hoping I should be good to go.

C4yvG2P.jpg

Thanks! I should note that it did not work for me, but that's because the damage to my switch internally is beyond repair. 

However, that guide makes it super simple to diagnose and possibly repair your power seat switch.

2 hours ago, busta said:

Thanks! I should note that it did not work for me, but that's because the damage to my switch internally is beyond repair. 

However, that guide makes it super simple to diagnose and possibly repair your power seat switch.

you're down off the mainline aren't you?  i can bring it with to work tomorrow and try and meet up after?  i work out of newtown square

35 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

you're down off the mainline aren't you?  i can bring it with to work tomorrow and try and meet up after?  i work out of newtown square

I live in Ardmore and work out in Bala Cynwyd. I don't want you to go out of your way. How about I head straight up to your place after work on Saturday? I get done at 5PM.