Lazer_Red

Engine build/swap opinion

10 hours ago, Lazer_Red said:

Yeah I have been doing a lot of research and I still can't decide.  The f150 engine can be had for less then 2k here in Texas so that not to bad.  But I would have to buy a modular car and get all the pieces needed to swap my push rod car. Or buy them individually, so the expense keeps building.  But building a push rod can be the same money wise lol.  Either way will nickel and dime you. So I decided to just focus on the suspension and chassis then worry about the engine.  We will see when the time comes were I am at money wise and go from there.  

Kris

not necessarily true.  you don't have buy a new car.  the really only added expense is the control pack and a few other little things for the accessory bracketry.  otherwise it would all be stuff you would normally do to build a good solid motor.

k-member is just a mod motor version, but same price.  plus motor mounts

swap headers, still just headers really

oil pan, again, you generally want a nicer pan on a new build with larger capacity, so same.

fuel system changes slightly, but depending on the build, you would be doing some of these pieces anyway.

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

not necessarily true.  you don't have buy a new car.  the really only added expense is the control pack and a few other little things for the accessory bracketry.  otherwise it would all be stuff you would normally do to build a good solid motor.

oil pan, again, you generally want a nicer pan on a new build with larger capacity, so same.

fuel system changes slightly, but depending on the build, you would be doing some of these pieces anyway.

All of this is true.  You would likely be doing all of these components anyhow.

The control pack is hefty but let's be realistic.  All of those items are not that expensive, but then you have an established 350+ to the tire car, that gets 20+ mpg and has modern drive-ability.  It's hard to beat it because the cost is really not prohibitive.  

I share the sentiment of everyone. I have been wanting to do a built 5.4 2v turbo swap but after I pieced together everything I realized after all that I would only have mediocre power and still could keep up with coyotes. pretty much parting with everything 2v now. I am saving some stuff for a built 5.4 4v build I really want to do someday. everything else is forsale.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, Prokiller said:

dont forget about transmission compatibility, brake system compatibility... etc.

A mod swap isnt nearly as cheap and easy as people think, without a donor car.

Bottom line is, if you want a coyote SN95, start with a 96+

9 hours ago, The Mk2 said:

dont forget about transmission compatibility, brake system compatibility... etc.

A mod swap isnt nearly as cheap and easy as people think, without a donor car.

Bottom line is, if you want a coyote SN95, start with a 96+

Yeah I decided to keep it simple and stay with a push rod?