RassCar

RassCar's Racecar: Snake with a bad heart

97-98's had COPs, different intake manifold, and the other main difference is the valve springs in the heads.  otherwise they are pretty much the same motor.

Wish I was still making consistent progress with this. It's only been a month and I want to keep moving on it. Only have a few small updates. I have all or nearly all of the gaskets/seals involved with a 4.6 4v, new head bolts and exhaust studs/nuts. Also made a small addition today, ordered a 13/14 GT500 oil pan gasket/windage tray and GT500 oil pickup tube to match since the Mark 8 pickup tube won't work with the Cobra oil pan. I still wanted the benefit of a windage tray and the GT500 setup is better than the Cobra one without getting too far out there in price. Biggest news is I've placed my order with MHS to have my heads refreshed. I exchanged some emails with Jordan, the owner, and am happy with how that went. Currently waiting on boxes for the heads to arrive so they can be shipped to his shop safely. I was told the turn around after arrival at the shop is looking to be about 7-10 days, which surprised me, so if that holds true and the work is good then I'll be ecstatic. Once I get the heads back I'll begin dissection of the Mark 8 engine. In other news, I tried to use a pressure washer to clean the inside of my intake manifold a couple days ago but I'm not totally happy with the results. In the next few days I'll take it and my old GT flywheel to a machine shop to have it cleaned and the flywheel resurfaced.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:59 PM, RassCar said:

Biggest news is I've placed my order with MHS to have my heads refreshed. I exchanged some emails with Jordan, the owner, and am happy with how that went. Currently waiting on boxes for the heads to arrive so they can be shipped to his shop safely. I was told the turn around after arrival at the shop is looking to be about 7-10 days, which surprised me, so if that holds true and the work is good then I'll be ecstatic. Once I get the heads back I'll begin dissection of the Mark 8 engine.

If you don't mind me asking what was the price that they quoted you to check over and freshen the heads?

6 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

If you don't mind me asking what was the price that they quoted you to check over and freshen the heads?

Same price as on the website, $1140 http://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24493049-4-6l-5-4l-4v-freshen-up-cylinder-head-package.html?ref=category:1268099. There is an additional $200 to "clean and polish camshafts, clean and inspect followers and assemble heads with these additional parts". I could have saved the $200 and taken those parts out myself, but they'll have the heads anyway and it's less to do on my end. I was also told if my valves aren't able to be reused that they'll give me some replacement valves free of charge. My assumption on the valves is they'll probably use stock valves they have from other heads they've had, which is fine with me as long as they work. You can bet I'll be posting up pics when I get them back.

Hmmm... stuff

large.595a94f36d661_IMG_2339(1024x768).jpg.f857e9b82d9b860a5865f20366316cf4.jpg

large.595a94fb934d1_IMG_2360(1024x768).jpg.852592b5109ed07f37b01c3558c4fd0d.jpg

Actually a little bit farther than this, all followers are back in and the primary cam sprockets. If my other parts are still in good shape (they've been sitting for months now and haven't really checked them) then I should have it timed within the week. *Should've put a more conservative time frame on this. Have barely looked at it since this post.

Edited by RassCar

1 hour ago, RedTwilight said:

Are you still using the stock cams or did you take the opportunity to upgrade?

Stock, new cams are out of the picture right now. Current plan, aside from assembly, is head cooling mod and egr delete. Any extra upgrades now is going to be small stuff for a while. Once this bitch runs I'm either saving for Stifflers FIT system or a CZ 550 FS rifle. Kinda been wanting the rifle for a while.

Could always grind the cam key or sprocket keys to advance the exhaust cam about 8°-10°. Doing this will only alter exhaust cam while the intake and cam sensor pick up remain the same. Really wake the engine up!

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, 96blackgt54 said:

Could always grind the cam key or sprocket keys to advance the exhaust cam about 8°-10°. Doing this will only alter exhaust cam while the intake and cam sensor pick up remain the same. Really wake the engine up!

I've heard of it but so far I've opted not to do it. Do you know details or a write up on this? Will timing to the marks rather than actual degreeing still allow for this? < This is why I've ignored it. I figured it would require degree'd cams which I'm not doing at this time.

I've got some updating to do...

large.59d962d5a4a26_IMG_24971.jpg.055e9df8fac35d3031348238d928306e.jpg

^I forgot to clean the front cover and valve covers before putting them on, I've since cleaned what I could.

large.59d962e8c7bf5_IMG_26291.jpg.53e435a72b3078202a81ef3d8066521a.jpg

^Soon to be reunited!

large.59d962f5dc3cb_IMG_26301.jpg.b95c2892eddd5fe193781bb40a0ceae6.jpg

Boom!

large.59d963270261d_IMG_26821.jpg.5956993500314b9c54d6b1334262bf6a.jpg

Would ya look at that!

There is a problem, though. There's a communication error with the instrument cluster. Because of that, PATS won't deactivate and allow the car to start. So, right now I'm trying to figure out how I'll get around that. Don't really want to, but I'll probably end up getting PATS turned off through a tune.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, ttocs said:

turning it off through the tune is the easiest otherwise you can do some hard-wiring around it if you have to.

I suspect that's what's gonna happen. I need to find someone that can send me a tune with PATS deactivated and a few other things turned off.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Blackmage said:

You ever get it to fire up and get PATS tuned out?

Sorry I never replied sooner. I went MIA from here for no good reason ( I seem to do that every couple months). The car does run and drive now!:D I'll have pics and videos up later. Or check out my IG if you wanna see some now @conner994v. So sort of what happened was not much for about a month after my last post. Then, I got a job at another dealership early in December. That got me kickstarted again on getting the car to run, partly because I had access to IDS/PTS again. I had some weird issues with the cluster/PATS, as I previously mentioned. I had gotten a tune to deactive PATS with no luck*. After that I reprogrammed the PCM back to stock which actually did clear most of the communication issues, including PATS. Then got a couple junkyard clusters to test with no luck. After that I quit being lazy and started real diag again. I only had 2 DTCs that would come up with any frequency, 1 was for the PCM and IC not communicating properly, the other was for something to do with the ABS module (can't remember specifics). So I checked the module and found a bug smashed in the pin providing power to it. Cleaning that out actually solved the rest of my module communication issues. After that I was left with... a dead fuel pump. Go figure. This gets up to roughly last week. I still had the old bad fuel pump from my GT and hooked it up to see if it'd work, and it did. So that's what I used to start the car for the first time. After that I ordered a DeatschWerks pump as a replacement and got that in Thursday. On the first drive I had a horrible exhaust leak that caused the car to backfire and run badly at idle, that was caused by a bad fit between the catless H-pipe I had and the driver side ball and socket connection. So I went back to the stock catted H-pipe and that issue cleared right up. That pretty much gets us up to today. I drove it a bunch yesterday and it runs great and is a blast to drive. 

*That tune might've actually worked for all I know but the pump might have been what stopped it from starting. At least this way I retained PATS and got everything else worked out.

Edited by RassCar
  • Like 1