Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

You could look into quick spool valves.  Lots of supra guys run them and see great response on large frame turbines.  The premise is just effectively chopping the turbine housings A/R in half so the turbine will spool then you can open the valve when torque starts to peak and gain the full capacity of the turbo.  

http://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?602684-SP-Quick-Spool-Valve-FAQ-and-Instructions-Thread

You could look into quick spool valves. Lots of supra guys run them and see great response on large frame turbines. The premise is just effectively chopping the turbine housings A/R in half so the turbine will spool then you can open the valve when torque starts to peak and gain the full capacity of the turbo.

http://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?602684-SP-Quick-Spool-Valve-FAQ-and-Instructions-Thread

That's a pretty neat concept, definitely going to have to look into that as it seems like a less costly solution than filling up a nitrous bottle every time I want to drive the car!

So you got a big fancy alternator. Not sure what what big deal is here...

Gotta make sure I don't over charge the flux compacitor and put us back too far in time!

Shoot.... I just looked back at your pictures and I am not sure the spool valve will work for you. The turbine housing has to be divided. :(

:-( shoot, I'll look it into it anyways. I may need a smaller turbine housing anyways so it may justify the swap to a smaller one

There are many things that affect spool such as cross over pipe size, Compression, Cam, Length of inter cooler piping, length of exhaust piping. Personally a 2 inch cross over to a 2.5 inch t6 divided flange on 6-8 lbs should make boost around 3600-3800. the Divided flange can be used to effectively make the exhaust housing smaller just by making the flange like that. And it is a show car, so this turbo will look very cool under the hood. With such low compression and a built motor I would run 8-10lbs to start, Will be a lot of fun, Then once Bryan smartens up and puts a full manual valve body auto in it with a 36-4k stall with a brake, the car will be more fun to drive and pick up 2 seconds in the 1/4

hkkb ihjgjhh blk kjbvujbhj hn soooooooooooooooooooo let's give some update to this thread

Since Mustang Week, Woodward Dream Cruise, and what seems like every other car event, I finally got around to doing another oil change on the whale cannon. Approximately 2500miles on the car, drive the car like I enjoy too, couple track trips, no big deal. No knocking, no ticking. Well, drain the oil and this is what I found:

22018965388_dae438a6a1_b.jpg

21585667983_dc51c0b001_b.jpg

22206734085_78439533ce_b.jpg

Definitely metallic coming out, not sure from what but I'll find out soon enough. Oil pressure is consistent around 40psi hot idle, jumpin up to 60-65 when holding it at 2500 rpms. Drove the car to the track and it felt fine the whole way out there, for the 3 runs, and after the final run it developed a little bit of a tick. Not quite sure if its motor or header gasket but I haven't had the time to investigate.

For those of you that saw the car at mustang week, I'm sure you noticed the puffs of smoke at start up, well I assumed that was a valve seal issue, now I'm not so sure.

hkkb ihjgjhh blk kjbvujbhj hn soooooooooooooooooooo let's give some update to this thread

Since Mustang Week, Woodward Dream Cruise, and what seems like every other car event, I finally got around to doing another oil change on the whale cannon. Approximately 2500miles on the car, drive the car like I enjoy too, couple track trips, no big deal. No knocking, no ticking. Well, drain the oil and this is what I found:

22018965388_dae438a6a1_b.jpg

21585667983_dc51c0b001_b.jpg

22206734085_78439533ce_b.jpg

Definitely metallic coming out, not sure from what but I'll find out soon enough. Oil pressure is consistent around 40psi hot idle, jumpin up to 60-65 when holding it at 2500 rpms. Drove the car to the track and it felt fine the whole way out there, for the 3 runs, and after the final run it developed a little bit of a tick. Not quite sure if its motor or header gasket but I haven't had the time to investigate.

For those of you that saw the car at mustang week, I'm sure you noticed the puffs of smoke at start up, well I assumed that was a valve seal issue, now I'm not so sure.

I may not be looking good enough but I don't see the metallic bits, but it does look milky like there's been water coolant in the oil? Or am I just seeming things. I know mine had metallic bits the first 2 oil changes very fine fine, I cut the oil filter open and showed it to my builder and he said it was normal for the first 1-2 changes cleared up after the 3rd. Mine also holds similar oil pressure and has a tick lol, but I know it's from the valve train and is just a fact of my engine because of the cam profile. I would cut the oil filter open and inspect there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be looking good enough but I don't see the metallic bits, but it does look milky like there's been water coolant in the oil? Or am I just seeming things. I know mine had metallic bits the first 2 oil changes very fine fine, I cut the oil filter open and showed it to my builder and he said it was normal for the first 1-2 changes cleared up after the 3rd. Mine also holds similar oil pressure and has a tick lol, but I know it's from the valve train and is just a fact of my engine because of the cam profile. I would cut the oil filter open and inspect there too.

The "milky" streaks are metallic streaks. I'll see what happens on the next one

What was the history on the motor before you put it in? Fresh rebuild or was it already broke in, sorry I can't recall if you mentioned this previously.

It was supposedly fresh rebuild, new bearings, rings, etc.

Are you sure it's not just like ARP moly lube? It looks a lot like that...

That's what I'm hoping is its something like that and didn't drain out the first time, but I did an oil change after about 250 miles and didn't see anything like this so maybe it just took a while to work itself out. The main reason I think some things wrong is the blowing oil on start up and decel is when I notice it the most

If it was fresh did you do a heat cycle and dump the oil then put fresh break in oil back in (or dyno oil).  My builder said on a rebuild (especially new rings) to do the following:

1) bring the engine up to temp and run for a little while then dump the oil

2) new oil and filter run for 500 miles (easy but varying load to seat rings)

3) new oil and filter run for 1500 miles and drive it how you plan to

If that oil is 2500 miles and the first or even second oil change that could just be the rings seating.  The first oil change looks like a glittery mess so perhaps your just flushing out the remainder ring seat material.  Of course that's depending on if the oil was changed a lot before this one was dumped.

If it was fresh did you do a heat cycle and dump the oil then put fresh break in oil back in (or dyno oil). My builder said on a rebuild (especially new rings) to do the following:

1) bring the engine up to temp and run for a little while then dump the oil

2) new oil and filter run for 500 miles (easy but varying load to seat rings)

3) new oil and filter run for 1500 miles and drive it how you plan to

If that oil is 2500 miles and the first or even second oil change that could just be the rings seating. The first oil change looks like a glittery mess so perhaps your just flushing out the remainder ring seat material. Of course that's depending on if the oil was changed a lot before this one was dumped.

I did as much of a break in cycle correctly as I could. Granted it wasn't totally correct, started it, let it run holding it at 2500 for like 15 minutes or whatever it is, shut it down, went to dyno the next day, did dyno break in tune, changed oil, trailered to mustang week, so this is the first oil change after initial break in, but I've had to add oil periodically because its been burning off (valve seals? Rings? Idk?)

I did as much of a break in cycle correctly as I could. Granted it wasn't totally correct, started it, let it run holding it at 2500 for like 15 minutes or whatever it is, shut it down, went to dyno the next day, did dyno break in tune, changed oil, trailered to mustang week, so this is the first oil change after initial break in, but I've had to add oil periodically because its been burning off (valve seals? Rings? Idk?)

hmm I am sure you did enough to get a good break in, every builder says something a little different.  Hopefully it's something simple man, I would hate to see the whale cannon have issues after all the work you got done this year.

obviously oil use isnt lol were you down a quart at all before you changed, or was it still pretty full

Ehl oh ehl when I changed it, I only drained out about 4 QTS from a 7 at system

Wow that's a lot of consumption in such a short time, is your crank case ventilation system working properly do the plugs look oil soaked? Was it ever running really rich maybe washed down the rings? I would deff cut the oil filer open inspect then do a leak down test.

Wow that's a lot of consumption in such a short time, is your crank case ventilation system working properly do the plugs look oil soaked? Was it ever running really rich maybe washed down the rings? I would deff cut the oil filer open inspect then do a leak down test.

As far as I know it is. I have a 90 on one cover, that goes over the motor to a T, then out the t to a catch can. Never notice a whole lot of a oil when I drain it, just a lot condensation

Mine consumed a lot of oil when I first put it in IIRC.

Then it ate cam gear :-X

What do your plugs look like?

I'll pull em today and see, last time I checked they looked real normal aside from oil on the threads, that's where my assumption of valve train came from

Then it ate cam gear :-X

I was originally not implying that lol.  Where's Keith at?  I thought I brought this up that my motor was consuming some oil and I think I remember him saying that it was standard for a fresh motor.  I could be completely wrong and could of been talking about something totally different. 

My new build spit out alot of assembly lube and TINY metallic pieces (I assume from the break in oil) when I drained the oil the first time.  The second time I drained it, I didn't see anything but the miles were very very low on that oil change.  I hope yours is just parts breaking in!

Started the car last night to move it and it didn't sound as bad. Sounds like valvetrain noise. Gonna keep it minimally moving because I'm still sketched out from the oil. Probably readjust rockers when I get the chance and see if that helps

Something let go in the motor yesterday. Picking up the car this evening and bringing it back home. Conveniently broke around the block from my gf's house who's dad is also my tuner. Let him listen briefly and he thinks it sounds camshaft or timing related. Sheared dizzy gear? Blown out timing chain? We'll see soon

Did you double pin the camshaft? Maybe the pin sheared. Of course some of those bronze dizzy gears are notorious for stripping.

I didn't touch the internals of the motor, and idk what double pinning the camshaft is lol so no idea.