Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

God I need to get better at updating you guys on things. Truth be told, I haven't updated much of anything recently.  I've got a scheme in the works that may lead to the beginning of this project earlier than expected, but I don't know if it's the best approach at this point or not. Ugh, life, decisions, and the pursuit of HP.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:27 PM, 410sn95 said:

I keep visiting this hoping to at least see some progress...

I keep visiting hoping I have magically have something to update as well....but nevertheless, I can assure you, there will be a significant update in the next coming weeks.......

On 10/16/2018 at 4:33 PM, Number Tew said:

Hey, stop being a bish.  Give us dem updates

Lets put it this way...... JoAnna got new wheels......and they DIDN'T come from a website...... 😉

44683343214_c0eea2e5d0_k-jpg.312077

43591181150_ff507bb8dc_k-jpg.312080

45356543902_8f39cccd2a_k-jpg.312081

31532451928_5b1ea1c6aa_k-jpg.312078

• Like 2

So for those of you who don't follow JoAnna and I on IG, we dropped some pretty exciting news yesterday!

No, we aren't pregnant

No, we aren't moving

No, we aren't getting a new pet.

(Link to video for those who haven't seen)

We have, as the video so elegantly puts, picked up an organ donor that conveniently satisfies both of our needs! It's funny how life puts you in situations that work out for the best. 

Since nothing can be put shortly, thanks @95riosnake for always making extravagantly long posts, I'll give you guys the dirty details on the pick up.  It all started September 25th, typical morning at work, browsing copart and IAAI to check out the newest crop of wrecked 18's, searching for the perfect donor car.  Nothing too exciting to hopped over to Mustang6G to peep the recently posted threads. Always seeing whats new since the s550 platform is new to me. That's when a specific thread title caught my eye; "Wrecked....2018 GT Whipple" The inner child was screaming, the outer child, a shit eating grin a mile wide. "2018 Base GT, manual, 10k miles, Whipple stage 1, full steeda suspension, just need to get out of it, i still owe on on the car" I sprung at the opportunity to get a little more information on the car.

Guy bought the car new back in April in Florida. Drove it up to Stainlessworks in Ohio for them to R&D their full 2018 exhaust on it, drove it up to Steeda in Georgia three or four times for various part installs, got the Whipple in early August, drove it back up to Steeda for install. Had it on the car for 2k miles before someone pulled out in front of him and he smacked right into the rear bumper/ trailer hitch. Pictures from the accident:

30612162387_2b2de9a87e_b.jpg

45553187001_5d5674c129_h.jpg

After working with the seller through his bank, payoff, my bank, etc, etc, my buddy headed down to pick the car up from Port Richey Florida about a week later.

44828009284_bd987a3c01_b.jpg

30612164907_ae6f93143c_b.jpg

Knowing that the garage was going to be getting a little use out of it in the coming weeks, I finally got off my ass and turned my garage back into a useful space. No picture of the progress, but I've got a bunch of drywall that needs to get hung still and most definitely need to add some lights to the space.

30612164977_30cc486ddb_b.jpg

Picked up this little rack to help assist with the various swaps; 

45553192051_2a9953eb9b_b.jpg

45553191791_1f6fcc9c4e_b.jpg

General plan of action is as follows:

-Push SN outside, wash her, get her under the cover

-Pull in Jo's 18 and prepare for the Whipple swap

-Whipple swap her car and N/A Swap the Organ Donor

-Take her car to our buddy's for winter storage

-Wrecked car back outside - SN Inside 

-Start SN Tear down

-Rolling Shell back outside, Organ donor back inside
-Organ donor teardown - Dump Organ Donor Shell

-SN Build up :banana:

4 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

so how much of the 18 are you going to use ?

In my vision, I'm going to be using 97% of the car. When you get inside of the STWC, I want it to feel like you're inside of a 2018 mustang. For all intents and purposes, when you plug in to the OBD2 port, the brains should have no idea that it isn't in a 2018 shell. Dash, console, electronics, wheel, everything that I can utilize from the 18, I want to. As much as I wanted to get a donor with active exhaust to have active side exhaust, it's one less thing that I need to tie into. The biggest challenges that I can foresee at this point are:

Steering column/steering rack- the organ donor has selectable steering modes which would be cool to keep, might have to make up custom mounts for the rack

ABS/Strabilitrak function- the ability to utilize the 2018 tech would be awesome, my drop spindles and rear axle have provisions for ABS, will have to do a dive into the reluctor rings, but this seems feasible at this point.

Heating/cooling- This is the most important thing that I want to keep from the donor. If I can get ac/heat to function successfully, this entire project is a success in my book.  

Some picture dump from tear down. First things first, when my buddy picked up the car it didn't run. The car would fire and shut down immediately. So before we messed with it too much, to me it was of the utmost importance to figure out why it didn't run. I wanted to inspect all major sensors, the condition of the belt assembly, and any other harnesses that could of gotten damaged during the accident. 

After a little bit of elbow grease, we got the hood pulled off since it was jammed up pretty well in the latch. Drivers fender took a little bit of work since it was pushed back into the door but it wasn't anything we couldn't handle

45553191701_bbe11113c1_b.jpg

Don't have too many pictures of the tear down, I'm definitely going to need to get a little better at juggling video work and camera for the different platforms of build threads we'll have going. Once we got the bumper off it was a little easier to assess the damage. As you'll see below, whipple heat exchanger was a definite total loss, AC Condensor is still up for debate on if it's holding but we didn't have the balls to crack the system yet and check. Radiator doesn't appear to be damaged to the point of leaking aside from the connector to the upper reservoir. The nice thing that ford did starting with the 15's (Thanks GT350) was make the upper core support bolt on and off. From what I've been told, the 350 engines and transmissions are assembled and installed as one, and having a bolted upper support increased the productivity at the plants. Also means this tear down was a breeze after that was removed!

45503004922_1487b8604b_b.jpg

44828011764_565d8b421b_b.jpg

31680781088_871fa952c2_b.jpg

30612165087_b620775e09_b.jpg

Some definite damage to the drivers upper frame rail, but nothing extravagant. Damage translated down to the fender support bracket, and bent up some stuff around the horn assembly but luckily nothing from the whipple kit was damaged (HX Resevoir and pump)

43735777600_974e3d4b6e_b.jpg

43735777510_09561e5468_b.jpg

That's enough for now! We tackled trying to start the car the other day but haven't gotten media uploaded yet so more to come!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

So your gonna try to put the 18 interior and dash in or just column?

See Below X D

1 hour ago, Det_Riot said:

When you get inside of the STWC, I want it to feel like you're inside of a 2018 mustang. For all intents and purposes, when you plug in to the OBD2 port, the brains should have no idea that it isn't in a 2018 shell. Dash, console, electronics, wheel, everything that I can utilize from the 18, I want to

Damn that's awesome!  I wish I would have found the car before you, since it's where the boss lady's mom lives!  Supercharge the 18 and coyote the 2000.  But, you'll take better pics and stuff along the way lol ;)

4 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

i'll be on the lookout for that steeda suspension stuff if it doesn't go on Jo's car.

We're trying to orient all of her stuff towards drag racing, so the full steeda package will be up for grabs, jacking rails, IRS Brace, springs, shocks, subframe lockout, billet upper shock mount. I'd love to sell it as a whole package, makes my life easier! 

11 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Damn that's awesome!  I wish I would have found the car before you, since it's where the boss lady's mom lives!  Supercharge the 18 and coyote the 2000.  But, you'll take better pics and stuff along the way lol ;)

Thanks man! haha I'll blaze the way so you can follow suit!

On 10/31/2018 at 8:01 AM, RedTwilight said:

Are you going to keep the straight axles or try to see if you can swap the '18's IRS into the Whale Cannon? 

If so I can't wait to see how it goes!

Most definitely keeping the straight axle. I'm pretty sure the 18 IRS is almost 8-10 inches wider than the 03/04 IRS was. That along with severely different mounting mechanisms makes this an unlikely swap lol

On 10/29/2018 at 7:17 AM, Yeahloh95 said:

very cool cant wait to see progress and hope you figure out why it wont run

Thanks! It was a lot easier than I thought it would of been =D

On 10/29/2018 at 7:37 AM, CompOrangeSN95 said:

Didn't realize you were swapping the dash and everything too.  The whale cannon is going to be on a whole new level.  bad ass

Yessssir! Hoping that it's a fairly straight forward endeavor but I know i'll run into some snags along the way!

• Like 2

Since the donor car is going to be stripped for use in both cars, I think the way I'll post updates when they coincide with videos is to post the video links for those who don't want to read my babbling and just want to watch the videos and then continue with the normally scheduled nonsense postings =D 

45503004922_5a61db3eb8_h.jpg

44828011764_00693128de_h.jpg

44828011994_d5267115e5_h.jpg

Once we got the car stripped down it was time to figure out how to make it start. We tried once to fire it up and when we did, it fired up, backfired, and died. So after performing a mild evaluation of everything that was there electronic wise, we knew that the MAF connector was broke off but the pins appeared to be intact so that was our starting point.

45553191491_52e8c862a2_h.jpg 

Now I wouldn't ever say that I'm a master mechanic but by looking at the other end of the connector, I had a sneaking suspicion that if I could line up the pins correctly in the broken housing, that I could plug the connector right back in!  

44638944715_e3f6630bf2_h.jpg

So after about a minute of fiddling around with lining up pins, we made connection to the MAF! Good as new!

31680781128_806a89d078_h.jpg

And with that, we took another stab at firing! If you follow this link you'll see just how quickly and effortlessly the car started up. I cut it off early because I thought my buddy was saying to kill it when he was just asking about check engine lights (which it undoubtedly had). But the most exciting thing about all of this is that the car fired right up, had no stutters or stammers, hiccups, nothing! Which is all I was really hoping for with the donor because I knew I was taking a huge risk with never hearing the car start prior to purchase. Upon starting the car back up and little the idle settle down a bit, there was some rather loud valve train noise that was a little bit concerning. My buddy who was standing up at the front end quickly found the problem. 

31680780098_5b826e7e32_h.jpg

31680781118_74dc41f5e6_h.jpg

Turns out the sheetmetal airbox from Whipple and the valve cover decided to have a territory battle because of the accident, and the weaker valve cover lost :mustangchris:. So add that to the list of parts to pick up for the SN - Fancy coyote valve covers. Haven't seen any for the 18's yet since the direct injection pump sits on the passenger VC. Hopefully someone releases some soon!  Next up is starting the whipple swap over to Jo's car!

• Like 1

Be ready for mecca updates!

Since November, the project has been rather slow moving. Between Christmas, New Years, swapping the blower onto JoAnna's car, it developing a knock two pulls into tuning, (More on that later)  etc, etc, etc, the rebuild has been slow but starting to pick up some momentum!

The organ donor is definitely starting to look a little different (and hopefully will be gone soon once we figure out some titling issues -__- )

So the most logical process of install was for me to follow the whipple instructions back to front, and Jo to follow the instructions front to back, and then hopefully we'd meet somewhere in the middle with an exchange of NA and Supercharger parts!  The intake, throttle body, and actual lid were fairly easy and straight forward in removal. Luckily the under the brick entry is shared by the LSA so this style of blower was very familiar to us. 

32288304207_f1cebe3f4b_h.jpg

46506765754_7b5aecd48b_h.jpg 

Unlike the LSA's, the actual intercooler brick is massive!

32340014267_97c694288f_h.jpg 

NA Swapped and ready for some header removal!

46315873075_70294a2bab_h.jpg

Got some assistance from our good ole friend Engine bar. Surprisingly enough, the 2" primary headers that came on the car were not overly difficult to remove. I definitely think that It was one of those physique outs where you imagine it's going to be terrible, but it actually isnt. 

32288127657_1d818c54c6_h.jpg 

So much more room for activities!

46506726394_cdbc405077_h.jpg 

Sick custom harness extension courtesy of steeda :rollseyes:

46315775535_09683558dd_h.jpg 

This stupid shit broke my other links so I'm annoyed. I'll continue the update later!

• Like 1

Went through and started pulling out all the interior pieces. Trim pieces, airbags, harnesses, modules, seatbelts, everything is getting pulled out! Nothing that some torx bits, trim tools, and 7mm socket couldn't handle

47230231791_c9076ef77a_b.jpg

I ended up selling the rear diff out of it (3.55) to some guy who had 3.31's. Seemed like a little bit of waste of a swap but whatever, money in my pocket. Jo had been joking about keeping the shell and turning into a full drag car so she greatly appreciated this picture! (sarcasm implied)

46315706905_f8b4d9d263_b.jpg

Shifting attention back to the engine, I pulled the rest of the mangled front "accessories" out of the way. Radiator, AC Condensor, and associated lines. The modulabilty of these cars are rather impressive. Just about every bracket unbolts in one way or another so it make's disassemble fairly straight forward! Been keeping track of all of my harness ends and plugs and labeling as I go. Hopefully this will make the rebuild in the SN go fairly smooth (well at least until I start moving around fuses boxes and shit for easier access 😓

46506767664_7bae269d00_b.jpg

It was shortly after this point i realized that I desperately needed to do something with the lights in the garage. I got a super nice husky LED work light for Christmas but it was becoming a hassle being corded and having to take it in the car, out of the car, up, down etc, etc, etc..... So I took the liberty of hitting up the local Home Depot and browsing the selection!  I ended up picking up 6 total 4' LED light fixtures. They're super light, interlinkable, and for the price, I figured what the hell why not. The darkest part of the garage was the spot over the garage door, and the backhalf has two single bulbs so it really only needed some supplemental light. New lighting layout goes something like this:

|  .  |  .  |

|   |  |   |

Poor diagram but it works lol check out all that brightness!

40265149683_0b48f74b4c_b.jpg 

46506778244_160e87ea2c_b.jpg 

The main driving force behind the lighting was the inadequacy of seeing underneath and inside the car. Why was that important you ask? So I can see what the hell I was doing when I was dropping the MT82 out the bottom! While not the perfect solution for transmissions, I have a fair bit of confidence in how this trans will perform. Thought these get knocked for being piles of crap, with the shorter case mounted MGW shifter, I think the shift feel on this should be spectacular. My initial thought process is that the gear ratio is almost identical to the magnum I had previously so that's a wash. Another Magnum is probably $3500-$4500 if I can find a deal on it and all upfront. I can maybe sell my trans for $1000. So realistically $3-$4,000. The MT82 will be completely bolt in with an MGW Shifter ($450-$500), and driveshaft ($700?) and get me rolling. So cheaper initial investment, and Calimer is now rebuilding these with G-Force gearsets that are supposed to be good to 1K wheel for $3000. All in all, seems like it saves me some money now until I inevitably bust it, but who knows how much the case mounted shifter from MGW will help.

47230285531_79f0cabeaa_b.jpg

40265269583_d0dba0ed26_b.jpg

Dash Removed so easily It wasn't even funny. Two bolts in the firewall, two bolts in each door jam, two bolts on each side of the interior, four bolts on the trans tunnel, and disconnect the steering shaft, and it's outta here!

46315707965_60b79e5d15_b.jpg

33354460098_715bdd529a_b.jpg

Now you see it....

46506778224_38e62bd21e_b.jpg

Now you don't!

46506767584_8c3fb09053_b.jpg

18 switched to a dual mass fly wheel and twin disk clutch! Ford also decided to go with a t55 plus bolt for the flywheel bolts so $12 later I just got the socket to pull the FW off and get her up on the engine stand!

47230232761_f580dcd5a0_b.jpg

47230285491_3ee9e38cbc_b.jpg

47230277001_067f1a6d0e_b.jpg

32288204667_4d5723c00d_b.jpg

32288179907_e8649959b0_b.jpg

That's about all for now! Jo's engine is finally ready to go back into her car so we'll probably thrash on her car to get it running again then it's full steam ahead with the SN!

• Like 3

Thanks guys!!! It’s been a lot of planning thus far so now it’s just time to execute. Crossing fingers we should have the ladies car buttoned up this weekend, then it’s in her dads magical tuning hands and full steam ahead!

369f16a424d92c5f47be2c0cda7d8c5e.jpg

a1a8e3121f92558381dc9498944bee48.jpg

a0af9836bc9eec44a928c47fcb31879f.jpg

4b4303f1db1ba7bbd7aa5c00ebaeb3d8.jpg

aef74858208b6eeaeac06db253f729a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jesus lord. I'm bad at foruming. But I promise updates have been made but not logged well. Well at least logged here! Like @TTSALEEN said, we've been slowly knocking away and getting everything ready for the swap! Jo's car was a priority this year but it was fun being able to build and manage someone else's build and not my own! That being said, going through the hoops with her car this year made planning for my car a heck of a lot easier, mainly because I plan on copying her build, but in a SN, with a Tremec Magnum sitting behind it! Just can't get myself to get away from a stickshift, it's too enjoyable on the street.

So last time you saw the SN, it was outside, half uncovered. Well, as I start this update, I regret to inform you, that's where it remained for most of the year. Last time you guys saw the donor car, it looked relatively lame. Something like this:

49249135851_ca2c9cf75d_c.jpg

49249135961_4829ae396c_c.jpg

Aside from the engine and major interior components, the car still had a fair amount of goods left to rid of in preparation for the swap! I didn't take pictures of everything as it came out, mostly the highlight items and stuff that I knew i'd have to reference back too eventually.

So out came the electronic accelerator pedal (no pics), and the clutch/brake pedal assembly. Major items to note on the pedal assembly were the locations of the various switches. S550's apparently got two clutch position switches (Up and Down) and a single brake pedal switch. I've been stacking most of the parts that I might need or might need reference too and this is once of them.

49249041661_28878a4399_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49248617366_73be66e2d5_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49249041686_c4178d6301_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

While I don't believe that I will end up reusing the entirety of the pedal assembly, I will be taking note of the switch locations and moving those over to the SN pedal housing assembly. For those that don't remember, I'm going to basically be pulling everything out the s550 donor car, and swapping it into my SN95 shell, thusforth creating Project SN9550: The Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection. 

49248574688_438e3e19c0_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49248824052_17e2ab0f8f_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Ta Da! One coyote front powertrain distribution box and wiring can fit in a home depot moving box

49248824162_d57d94bcec_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

The main factor in the decision to make the SN pedal assembly work, was the decision to keep the car stickshift and cable driven at that. With how the SN pedals are already set up for a clutch cable, it seemed like a big waste of time to figure out mounting up the S550 pedals, designing a clutch cable assembly, routing lines, blah blah blah. So, off the table that consideration went. Move 3 sensors and be done with it. Plus Scram Speed makes a trick bracket to mount the electronic throttle cable to sn/fox body!

While I did label every single connector as the car got disassembled, I took pictures of some random things here and there. Off to finish stripping the interior!

With technology advancing, so are safety items! The S550's came with this trick seat belt and pretensioner assembly. Basics of how it works, is when a hard enough impact is detected, the air bag systems trips a signal and it fires off a co2 canister located in this assembly. So instead of your body pulling against the seatbelt locking the seatbelt mechanism, this shoots the actual dead end of the seat belt in to do the same thing.

49249252312_8a6576d5b5_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49248574778_cd3e351b15_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Rear defroster/radio antenna connector. I've got nothing on these, this shit confused the hell out of me when I looked it up so whatever, I'll fuck this pig when I get to it, but marked and labeled! Some things I found online said that the s550's use the back glass window for their AM/FM Receiver. Pretty cool if that's the case! 

49249041921_8d12b16cdf_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49249252212_3e10719fbb_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Majority of the rear harness and quarter panel harnesses pulled out aside from the ABS Sensor going through the trunk floor and a few trunk harnesses

49249252077_5475095fd2_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49249347232_943fa7d0a2_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49249347532_e64622ca30_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Interior looking base aside from the door panel and harnesses

49249252147_c2bacb9624_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

So with the windows down, and my dumbass not thinking ahead, I had to solve the problem of getting to the door harnesses while the window was 100% in the way. After some failed attempts to run jumper wires off a battery (thanks canbus trigger wires) I said fuck it and started pulling out bolts. After a few correctly identified bolts, the window glass slid right up!

49248669073_52b5c7c7fc_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

A couple more for the window track

49249348012_c14333e6cb_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

A few here and there for the door handle and locking mechanism, and away we go!

49249347767_292ab0ea00_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49248669168_688064e0f0_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

I pulled the window regulator off the S550 frame because I knew there had to be a simplistic way of making it all work. After inspecting the 550 and 95 regulators, I think I've got a plan, but I'll keep that in my back pocket until that time comes.

49248668978_e4e77eee08_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49249136191_cdceeae33d_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Passenger door stripped: Check!

49249135716_96b3083963_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Started knocking out the same process on the drivers side and went fairly smooth. Made a bit of an oopsies and gave myself a pretty heft gash on my hand. Think I caught a nerve because certain movements my thumb would tingle. Oh well, that's what gauze and electrical tape is for right?!

49270125422_799558fe60_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49269923416_465771b92b_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

49270122872_4e8814cf9a_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

AND SHES FUCKING NEKKKKKIDDDDD

49270126257_d806530f92_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

This is a box of one full S550 of harnesses 

49270126232_c74f5fe634_b.jpgUntitled by TealNV, on Flickr

Teal Things come next update!

Back on my shit, yearly update time! With 2020 being a cluster hole of a year and us investing into my wife's racing program. The SN spent another year as an untouched roller. But we bought a new house last March, took possession in May, and slowly got the house set to the point that the SN was finally going to get some attention! It made it back home roughly in October and didn't get a lot of progress right away but have been chipping away. Things are starting to come together and I'm super grateful for that! Working on the car tonight so hopefully that will lead to some good updates with pictures for y'all! The gen 3/whipple/magnum build is coming together. I'll be using this thread again for my rough sketch and knowledge dump for anyone who's trying to follow suite as it was intended!

• Moderators

I have so many questions about that! How do the dash mounts line up compared to the sn, and how does the center console fit compared? How are the a/c ducts lining up? What are you doing about air bags? 

2 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

I have so many questions about that! How do the dash mounts line up compared to the sn, and how does the center console fit compared? How are the a/c ducts lining up? What are you doing about air bags? 

hahah it'll come! Surprisingly close. It's definitely not just pop it in there and she's all happy