Det_Riot

Det_Riot's Sexual Teal Whale Cannon Resurrection

Josh, I'm taking the fall and doing the front and rear calipers so I'll do a full length write up for you guys! Hopefully I can nail down a process on the first on that is easy to duplicate for others :nervous:

That's because you're so strong ;)

That could explain it. lol

Josh, I'm taking the fall and doing the front and rear calipers so I'll do a full length write up for you guys! Hopefully I can nail down a process on the first on that is easy to duplicate for others :nervous:

Sweet thanks man.

Yah man no worries! I want front a rear calipers to be pretty and powdercoated haha so gotta pay to play =\ If me and my dad can't get it back together, he knows a guy who rebuilds calipers for a living so we'll end up taking it to him. But my dad has been a diesel mechanic for 30 years and now is a supervisor at his garage so he knows all those crazy old school tricks for things haha so if we can't get it, shits gonna hit the fan

go to harbor freight or a place that sells tools and look for a caliper compressor tool. check the link below. Might as well just buy one because you will need it every time you do the rear pads on the car. i paid 30 for my kit a couple years ago when i had my speed3. i needed it on that and now i use it on the cobra. Its one of those things you wont use very often but is nice to have when you do.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-69053.html

go to harbor freight or a place that sells tools and look for a caliper compressor tool. check the link below. Might as well just buy one because you will need it every time you do the rear pads on the car. i paid 30 for my kit a couple years ago when i had my speed3. i needed it on that and now i use it on the cobra. Its one of those things you wont use very often but is nice to have when you do.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-69053.html

Ohbyah definitely. I'm almost positive my dad has one of these but if not I'll be getting one quick enough lol

the rear calipers have a spiral piston that need to be turned in. if you look close on the piston, you will see two dimples on the face directly across from each other. thats why you were bending c-clamps lol. heres a video that explains how the tool works and shows you... Skip ahead to 5 minutes. this is on Mazda 3 but its the same concept/design as our rear calipers.

Edited by Venomous96
added new video

Rear pads and rotors show up today as well as the rebuild kit for the front calipers! thanks rockauto! =D Hopefully I can get all this crap off this weekend after my senior design project presentation Friday. Off to the powdercoater by the beginning of next week, reassembled by next weekend?!

Well in typical car fashion, nothing goes to plan....weird....that and nothing ever happens when its needs too. I literally finished my brakes yesterday, decided not to drive it due to an odd puddle on the ground that I thought was brake fluid. Well I checked it out when I got back from my softball game and it was just my power steering reservoir leaking. Nbd since my rack is shit and I want to go manual anyways.

Move my car in the driveway today since its trash day and all cars have to be off the street, well what does my car surprise me with? a fresh puddle of rear end fluid about the size of a watermelon. So that's where I'm at =\ didn't want to get into this already since I really don't have the money so the cars going to sit.....probably for a while.....until I can get the rear end rebuilt. If you're thinking well just reseal the cover so it doesn't leak, it isn't worth the effort. My clutch packs and shot because my car drops to one wheel peel in the waterbox at the track so it needs to get rebuild anyways.

I know how you feel, if its not one thing its another... Seems I also have the same issuse of no sooner getting somthing fixed or upgraded and somthing else falls apart... My rear I just put in is 1 tire fire aswell, may I suggest a locker? No more clutches means no chance to slip :)

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

lol I gotta look at my options. Advice from people? Car is street driven, maybe 5 times to the track a year, mostly cruised. 31 splines, locker? How are the street manners?

oh i'll stick this in here too

7850509402_3bb9a46a38_b.jpg

So here's what I found today:

1: Brakes stop great

2: Exhaust needs a hanger bad, the <3in of clearance I have likes to bounce around

3: Rear end is leaking from the pinion seal (as far as i can tell), or at least that is where it's dripping off of.

Just looked throught the whole thread, awesome job sir, I really admire your taste in mods, its really a pleasure to see. :salute:

If I may ask (and sorry if you already mentioned it somewere), but what size tires on what size rims are you running in the rear, and question nr. 2; do you have any fender rubbing issues?

Just looked throught the whole thread, awesome job sir, I really admire your taste in mods, its really a pleasure to see. :salute:

If I may ask (and sorry if you already mentioned it somewere), but what size tires on what size rims are you running in the rear, and question nr. 2; do you have any fender rubbing issues?

Thanks man! Appreciate it. Its been a struggle. Frustrating at times to say the least. Lol

No problem man, I actually don't think I did. My wheels are 18x8.5 and 18x10. Front wheels are 245/45 and rears are 335x30. I really don't have any huge rubbing issues. Have fenders rolled and just two spots on the inner fender where I bent out.

Rears:

46c20471-ef0b-075a.jpg

46c20471-ef1a-d393.jpg

Fronts: only two spots rub sometimes but its just bc I'm low

46c20471-ef49-0f7b.jpg

Small update:

New 340lph pump installed thanks to Bert! Smooth transaction and great guy to deal will.

Rear diff cover was leaking so I pulled it off to find a nice bend in it causing fluid to leak out. Straightened it out and am hoping it'll seal again. Got new gear fluid for it and let's just say its a good thing I did.

Also found out my car has the stock 3.08 gears in it too -__- thanks uncle DB for buying a bone stock car and then convincing me that it was built. Naive I was.

9/28/12: Installed Mach One Pedal Covers

Still need rear tires, tune, paint, etc. etc. Probably no major updates until after winter =[ Thinking about doing the prep work for the paint myself. Gotta save money where I can. Advice on materials I need, methods to use, any other useful information. Josh Hooten, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Josh hates you, so yea, shutup.

Figure out where you are taking it, and ask what they want it sanded to. Some shops paint nicely with 220 scratches, others want it around 400, some want lower lol.

And lmao, mean to your dog. That thing revs quick!

10-8-12

Things I did today because I was bored

Removed seats to clean underneath. Gross stains, who knows what from, never going to clean it because lazy.

8071572532_1c2224b9de_b.jpg

Finished Installing Mach One Pedals: Advice to everyone on putting on the clutch and brake pedal. Boil water in pot. Once it boils, turn off heat and put in pedals. While pedals are chilling in the water, go make up a spray bottle of soap and water. Spray liberally on metal pedals. Go back inside and remove one pedal (should be about 3 minutes) metal will be pretty warm so use caution, spray backside of pedal with soapy water and slip that bitch right one! Holy crap both pedals today took under 5 minutes.

8071579843_ac705334f0_b.jpg

Removed rear seat in prep of DIY Rear Seat Delete

8071579373_2de7842725_b.jpg

8071570862_f39c24d6fd_b.jpg

Template Cut:

8071569820_c0879e5787_b.jpg

Gray Rear Seats for sale =D

8071576987_02ec2d3b37_b.jpg

8071575973_f488aaa542_b.jpg

8071575237_9db38c2df9_b.jpg

What material will you be using for the rear seat delete?

I'm thinking that I'm just going to end up using like sub box carpet as well as the MDX or w/e board it is that people use for sub box's. I wish i had access to sheet aluminum to make my own scott fab panel =\

Subscribed, damnit this forum is gonna cost me money

haha dude that's what I do everyday on the forums, figure out how to spend more money that I don't have!

8071570862_f39c24d6fd_b.jpg

Strange how they choose to paint over the sound deadening in the floor, I mean how they choose to put the sound deadening in before they painted the car at the factory they did the same thing on my car as well as in my trunk.

I see a few rust spots that you might want to take care of while you have everything out.. Just do what I did with some "paint over rust" paint. :tea::tea:

Finally got some good weather up in this bitch so motor tear down commence! Valve spring removal & replacement, lets pray this fixes all the rest of my problems and I didn't bend pushrods or some crazy shit =p