Younts_Autosport

The Scourge is getting a turbo/needs help

Hi, everyone. I don't know how many folks are still active on the forum, I myself have been absent for some time but I'm hoping to become more active again and have now changed my screen name to be more in sync with other social media accounts. I wanted to update everyone on the biggest news to come from my Mustang builds in a long time! My old V6 is going to be boosted.

I managed to find one of the old TMA Turbo kits, unused and complete, on a local Craigslist. I'm apparently a lucky bastard, given the rarity of a never-installed TMA kit nowadays. Garrett GT4088, 65mm I believe, TiAL wastegate, HKS blow-off valve, JDM intercooler, all hot and cold piping, basically a complete kit minus fuel mods and gauge.

I'm a noob to the turbocharged world so I'll be looking for some help and advice with this project. Right now I'm trying to source all the extra stuff and get a plan together. Looking for recommendations on fuel mods, boost level, boost controller if necessary, and any advice or instructions to help with the install, etc.

My motor is stock minus an underdrive pulley and now has ~140,000 miles on it. As always I'm planning to stay on top of maintenance. When it's time, the tuning will be spot-on.

Hope some of you are reading this and have some good info for me. Hope to catch up with everybody soon. Thanks!

rps20170417_113402.jpg

rps20170417_113326.jpg

Edited by Younts_Autosport

Just for longevity, at 140k, if I wanted a motor to continue to hold and be reliable, I'd go through and give it a freshover if it's feasible. Bearings/rings/lifters/springs. I've never herad of the kit before but it looks like a solid little set up!

On 4/18/2017 at 6:30 AM, 95riosnake said:

I'm pretty inexperienced in the turbo game, but that is going to be pretty sweet when it's finished!

On 4/18/2017 at 9:01 AM, Prokiller said:

same for me, but that's a pretty nice setup

On 4/19/2017 at 8:27 AM, Yeahloh95 said:

i had a turbo mustang once :) let me know when you have any questions

On 4/19/2017 at 11:05 AM, Det_Riot said:

Just for longevity, at 140k, if I wanted a motor to continue to hold and be reliable, I'd go through and give it a freshover if it's feasible. Bearings/rings/lifters/springs. I've never herad of the kit before but it looks like a solid little set up!

Thanks for the support, guys! Currently trying to get all the info I can and source up the injectors and fuel pump, not sure on injector size although I was recommended the 03-04 Cobra units which seem like a good choice for my power goals at the moment. Making this up as I go along, really not sure at this point how much we can do at home versus paying my tuner for the install.

I will try to keep this thread updated so feel free to chime in if you folks have any input. Thanks.

I've been looking into used sets of the 03-04 Cobra 39lb injectors figuring they would work well for my power goals but not sure of good prices relative to mileage. One set I've found was pulled from a 100,000 mile car and they're asking for $100, but historically I've seen lower mileage sets in the 150-200 range. Not in recent times, however. Any advice? Thanks.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:29 PM, Younts_Autosport said:

I've been looking into used sets of the 03-04 Cobra 39lb injectors figuring they would work well for my power goals but not sure of good prices relative to mileage. One set I've found was pulled from a 100,000 mile car and they're asking for $100, but historically I've seen lower mileage sets in the 150-200 range. Not in recent times, however. Any advice? Thanks.

Whatever the mileage, I'd give them a good cleaning and have them flow tested. Haven't look into it in a while, but I don't recall injectors having a specified service life. So if you're okay with the mileage then go for it. 

On 5/13/2017 at 1:22 AM, RassCar said:

Any word on this? Injectors work out for ya?

Took me a while to get back in touch with the first guy with the 100K $100 set but now I've found another set I might be interested in. Only 20K on these and I'm going to make an offer on them. Hopefully I can get this taken care of soon and move on to some of the other supporting mods, anxious to have the turbo on sooner than later.

This year is all about getting the V6 back up and running in top form and updating it as necessary (i.e. turbocharging it). Oil changed last week and long-overdue transmission service and alignment this week.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:04 PM, Younts_Autosport said:

Took me a while to get back in touch with the first guy with the 100K $100 set but now I've found another set I might be interested in. Only 20K on these and I'm going to make an offer on them. Hopefully I can get this taken care of soon and move on to some of the other supporting mods, anxious to have the turbo on sooner than later.

This year is all about getting the V6 back up and running in top form and updating it as necessary (i.e. turbocharging it). Oil changed last week and long-overdue transmission service and alignment this week.

If youre still looking for a set of Cobra 39#ers, I have a set in my garage. I used them in my 347 and they have been in a box since then.

Its a set of 7, because I lost one. If you want them, cover shipping (~$7)

• Like 2

Alright folks. Feels like its been months since I updated anything on the forum here and I'm sure it has been.

For everyone who didn't know through my Instagram and Facebook posts MY V6 WAS REAR-ENDED IN MAY. The accident wasn't my fault but rocked my world all the same. Insurance wanted to total the car but I decided to buy it back and afterwards it sat in my yard for the longest time until I finally got an estimate from a friend/local body shop I knew could fix her right. The estimate surprised me as it was well below what I expected so I pulled the trigger.

The last 5 to 6 weeks saw my first love brought back to me with a new lease on life. I'm going to post some pictures but that's the summation of the last few months in regards to my car life.

Damn dude that sucks, glad to hear it ended up working out though. Make sure to post before/after pics of the carnage lol. That's the worst thing about driving around in something we are all admittedly deeply overinvested in... doesn't matter how well you drive if someone else hits you. I remember sitting in traffic in my 95 a few years back and this guy was literally inches off my bumper every time we moved forward. I ended up leaning out the window and telling him to back the fuck off lol. The look on his face was actually mostly like "oh shit, I didn't realize I was that close" lol.