seijirou

Timing cover bolt lengths

• Supporting Member

I need to source 2 bolts for my front timing cover.  I don't actually know if the 94/95 timing cover is special or different or not.  My engine is 351w based but I'm running the 94 accessories on it.

The bolts I need look to be the lower 2 on the driver's side.  Here's a pic.  The bolts go in where the 2 bosses are below, just behind the water pump outlet and below where the negative cable bolts to the block.  I used to mount my crank sensor bracket there but I'm changing that to a different mount that goes on the passenger side.  I know the bolts are 5/16 coarse I just don't know the lengths.  Thanks.

iF-J7IqL1OoJJDJTHzAViiPbrjZb8cdRZ8csAeG-

We used the timing cover and bolts from my stock 302 when I had my 410w.

5/16 x 2" if I remember correctly 

*Edit

check out the 10th post

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/where-can-i-get-water-pump-bolts-what-are-the-sizes.878236/

• Supporting Member

Holy shit that's a great find.  Show off.

I assume then the 94/95 timing cover isn't anything special?

EDIT:  It is, I just got off my lazy ass and looked.  However it appears that the cover is the same with regard to those 2 bolt locations.

Edited by seijirou

On 6/7/2017 at 7:35 PM, seijirou said:

Holy shit that's a great find.  Show off.

I assume then the 94/95 timing cover isn't anything special?

EDIT:  It is, I just got off my lazy ass and looked.  However it appears that the cover is the same with regard to those 2 bolt locations.

94-95 timing cover is "special".  Uses a different water pump and locates acc. closer to block.  The water pump design is actually nicer imho but you end up frustrated if you want to run specific brackets like the Renegade style blower stuff because only available for fox style...

• Supporting Member

Yeah my new sensor bracket doesn't quite work right because of the difference too.  I had to order some different spacers because the ones that come with it are too long.  Of course nobody makes the spacers in the length I actually need for a reasonable price so I have some 1/16th too long that I'll have to lap down once they come in.

On the other hand I'd be bored if everything just fell together perfectly right?  

3 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

Yeah I'm sure I'll get to play with making brackets fit when I get to putting my new motor together with my new balancer/sensor combo. 

@White95 did you get a chance to research what all will be involved with this while using the 94/95 accessories??

No. I do, however, have a local friend with that exact setup on his 95 with a 408w. I'll look for the PM with the spec list.

** here's all the information I have**

Trader Feedback: (47)

Holley EFI CnP

It wouldn't let me send this via visitor messages, too long apparently!

Ouch, that's how it goes!

As for Holley DIS, here is what I did. I had the TFI system but I decided to switch to CNP just because I wanted to really. I bought the innovators west balancer with the flying magnets, it comes with the trigger mount. Then i had to buy the holley crank trigger sensor, MSD style sensor is a no go. The holley is hall effect and the msd is VR magnetic. Next, I bought the ls coil on plug harness, and a universal cam sensor / crank trigger harness. I had to make my own harness for the crank and cam sensors. After that I got the price motorsports cam sensor and the pigtail plug, they sell both. I then bought a set of D585 coils on ebay, I got 8 of them plus the harness for each side for around $70 shipped and mounted them to my valve covers. After doing the setup I just made the appropriate changes in the holley efi system and she fired right up. I can idle that thing down to like 600rpm or less if I wanted but I'd rather keep it around 800 haha. Oh and i got some crane spark plug wires for a 5.3 chevy truck. 

-Innovators west balancer w/ flying magnets - comes with trigger mount and pointer
-Holley Crank Trigger sensor
-Price Motorsports Cam Sensor and pigtail
-(2) Harnesses
-D585 Coil packs (D581 packs are suppose to be better...over 1000rwhp soooo the D585's work for me!)

Wiring it all up is really easy too, so thats a bonus.

The TFI system worked fine, I just wanted the cleaner look of the CNP and I'm sure it has better spark and all too. Always a good thing. I have a couple of TFI distributors in case you decide to go that route for now. One of them is a mallory distributor that was a pos right out of the box, it would have to be sent back to them for repair. The car would run for about 10 seconds and just shut off for no reason. Toss the orielly distributor in there and it ran fine lol.

The holley ecu controls all of the timing, no need for any MSD box although some people add one anyway.

306 - RIP - 12.01 @ 117.2.... 
408w AFR 220, Ported Super Victor, FTI Cam, Holley EFI