iLoveScreamers

2013 Mustang GT Foglight Retrofit on a 2004 Cobra

Title sums it up pretty well, I'm using another OEM part from some other car on my Cobra. Yay! 

2013 Mustang GT's showed up on dealer floors a few years ago and yours truly noticed that they came with LED fog lights... cue the gears turning. Now, Ford wants something in the neighborhood of $500 for EACH fog light 

Obviously that price isn't very easy to swallow. Thankfully a company called Starkey Products has take off lights. They also only want $230 for a new set, not bad. [ LINKY ]

I think we can get them for cheaper... hmm, seems they have a clearance section! Boom, same lights for $120 because they are 'blemished'. SOLD! [ LINKY ]

The blemish won't matter because I'm just after the LED and optic. Also, I wanted that nice weather proof plug for the back so I picked up this adapter harness. [ LINKY ]

So $120 for lights and $50 for the harness. We are obviously more than plug and play LED's at this point but half the price of an HID projector retrofit.  

Pros
Instant on/ No warm up
Pure 5000k white output
Sharp Cutoff

Cons
Price
Lots of DIY Modification
Price lol

Now, on to the photos!

photo12.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo31.jpg

photo4.jpg

This next photo is without the optic on the front, it shows how important the optic really is.

photo51.jpg

Those sumbishes 'permasealed' the optic into the housing... this will be fun to get out.

photo13.jpg

Finally, here is the actual LED emitter, that little guy is putting out all of this light. Looking at it directly is like gazing at the sun lol

photo24.jpg

Baked the '13 fogs open to get the optic out(thanks for sealing them in Ford).

Before I baked them, took the cobra fogs off. Size comparison.
photo14.jpg

What's for dinner? Fog lights, Fog lights are for dinner.
photo23-1.jpg

Dat cutoff doe! Optic only output shot, these things are going to be sick!
photo33.jpg

Optic, Led/Board, heatsink and adapter harness ready to go for the Cobra lights.
photo41.jpg

Comparing the back of the '13's light and my Cobra light. I'm going to have to get creative with a dremel....
photo52.jpg

Got the holes cut out for the lens to poke through into the reflector.

image-2.jpg

In order to mount the lens I used a piece of PVC pipe cut to the shape of the back of the reflector bowl. That gave me a flat surface to mount the optic to. I will seal around it with black RTV to keep light from leaking out around it.

image-3.jpg

Almost there!

image-4.jpg

Got the hardware, not my favorite stuff, so I will improve this down the road. All I need to do is seal up everything and they are done. The car is at the exhaust shop currently, but I will have finished pics mounted in the bumper soon!

10269579_10201981822335766_6243757245313

10352751_10201981822815778_6568128894253

Finally done! They came out great! I'm super happy with the final result, the optic seems to have a clean and sharp output. The optic also is built to bounce light into the reflector bowl so that from a distance it looks stock! They are almost perfect. I will post output shots when it gets dark out, I was too excited not to share with you guys!

Photo from above the cutoff
IMG_2693.jpg

Photo from below the cutoff, bright!
IMG_2694.jpg

Looking good with the switchbacks in the headlights
IMG_2692.jpg

From a distance, looks stock to me!
IMG_2695.jpg

Here are some night time output shots.

Dat cutoff
IMG_2704.jpg

More cutoff sexiness 
IMG_2706.jpg

You can see some color fringing, from an LED FOGLIGHT! crazy.
IMG_2707.jpg

This gives you an idea of how bright they are. Foglights only.
IMG_2709.jpg

Hope you guys find this helpful

• Supporting Member

Nice, well done.

I don't find this helpful at all because I don't have the steady hands to do this.

Offer to do it for $20 and that would be helpful ;)

35 minutes ago, seijirou said:

Nice, well done.

I don't find this helpful at all because I don't have the steady hands to do this.

Offer to do it for $20 and that would be helpful ;)

haha nice. It really just takes patience. You would rather not take off enough material as opposed to taking off too much lol.

I wish I could give back to the community and sell some of my creations, but I just don't have time, unfortunately. 

Very nice upgrade for sure. They fill out the fog light opening really well, and the idea of a fog light with a cutoff is great. You can actually have bright fogs that don't blind the shit out of everyone lol.

10 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Very nice upgrade for sure. They fill out the fog light opening really well, and the idea of a fog light with a cutoff is great. You can actually have bright fogs that don't blind the shit out of everyone lol.

Hell yeah!

8 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Those look great!  When I sack up and convert my '13 to GT/CS foglights, can I send you my 95's fog to convert lol?

Haha I wish I had the time, but no. That's why I put up how I did it, so others can follow along. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, iLoveScreamers said:

Hell yeah!

Haha I wish I had the time, but no. That's why I put up how I did it, so others can follow along. 

I assure you, you've got more time lol.