Caboose302

Who has the go-to parts for internals now?

I'll be pulling my engine this week to fix a rod knock. Not sure if it's just a bearing or if I'll need a new crank/rods. If so, what are the good parts to use now? Last engine I built was for a Fox and Eagle made good parts. Now I've been hearing they're not as good as they used to be. Is it Mod Max or MMR I want to stay away from? I have forged pistons but I don't know if I'm keeping them since they're dished and I won't be going FI for a while. 

For rods, Molnar are currently the best value. Quality as good or better as Manley and with superior rod bolts. I don't think I've seen anything negative about Mod Max, but MMR, yeah, stay away. Pretty much any piston manufacturer is fine. For bearings, King and Clevite are current favorites for most people. Really, most hardware will be fine and do the job. MMR specifically is problematic. They've had a dodgy reputation for a long time now and they haven't shown signs of slowing. I've also noticed their prices aren't as competitive as they once were, so even less reason to bother with them.

I have modmax rods.... big end as a little out of round. Not a big deal to me.... machine work included still saved compared to manley and i expected them to have some sort of issue.

Pistons are the most expensive part now .... probe went out of business they were best budget forged piston imo. 

Boss rods not cool anymore?

• Moderators

Ford oem boss 302 rods are by far the best bang for buck rod. They will hold some serious rpm and horsepower. I recently installed a set of diamond pistons and could not be happier with the result. Quality was second to none. 

Whats the plan for the car? Are you using a forged crank? Reason I ask is because the cast crank will hold a lot more than people give it credit for and it's lighter so it'll rev faster. 

Whats the problem that people have with mmr? I've dealt with them a few times and have nothing but good things to say about them. It looks like someone reads a single review from 2010 and makes that the gospel. I think if mmr was as bad as people say, their business wouldn't be thriving the way it currently is. 

I think ordering parts from MMR is fine, but I would never have them do an assembly to a short/long block.  As said, Molnar is becoming very popular, and obviously can't really go wrong with Manley H beams.  I personally run a Cobra 8 bolt crank, Manley H beams with ARP 2000 rod bolts, Diamond pistons with H13 upgraded wrist pins, Total seal stainless rings but this is for a turbo build of 800+hp.  What exactly are your power/rpm plans? power adder or n/a?

• Moderators

I'm not here to fight, but do you have any proof that mmr is causing issues? 

2 hours ago, RassCar said:

Somehow I totally spaced on the boss rods. That's probably option #1 for less than like 800hp. And yes, people still have issues with MMR. Even within the last year.

13 hours ago, 97stanger said:

I think ordering parts from MMR is fine, but I would never have them do an assembly to a short/long block.  As said, Molnar is becoming very popular, and obviously can't really go wrong with Manley H beams.  I personally run a Cobra 8 bolt crank, Manley H beams with ARP 2000 rod bolts, Diamond pistons with H13 upgraded wrist pins, Total seal stainless rings but this is for a turbo build of 800+hp.  What exactly are your power/rpm plans? power adder or n/a?

LOL I won't be pushing 800 anytime soon. I'd like to go with a Procharger  at some point and I probably will IF I keep the pistons I have. I'd still only be looking for 550-600 absolute max so I'd like to build it fro 700 just to give me some room. 800+ would scare the shit out of me in this car. It doesn't get traction with 300 whp. I'd still like to be able to drive it everyday, lol.

17 hours ago, D3vst8r96gt said:

How big is the dish? I have some 12cc pistons I want to sell. I have a used set and a new set. .020 over

I really have no idea until I get them pulled. All I know is my tuner was trying to figure out why I was so down on power when my setup should have been making way more. He threw a scope down a spark plug hole and said my pistons "look like  soup bowls" lol.

Thanks everyone for the info!

I'll look into Molner, Manley and the Boss rods. My friend used to work at a speed shop so hopefully he can hook me up with getting the crank turned if I have to and if not, I think he can get me a deal on Eagle cranks.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 97stanger said:

I was doing the typical read from the top and itching to type a response, and then you posted lol. Spot on. Parts are good, assembly is not. MMR often runs specials as well where you can get full rotating assembly for a damn good price. I believe they have 800 and 1000 hp capable kits. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, fiveohwblow said:

I was doing the typical read from the top and itching to type a response, and then you posted lol. Spot on. Parts are good, assembly is not. MMR often runs specials as well where you can get full rotating assembly for a damn good price. I believe they have 800 and 1000 hp capable kits. 

I want to ask the same question to you, can you provide any kind of proof that mmr assembly is no good? Ill also state, like I did last time, I dont want to fight. I just want to see proof.

• Supporting Member
Just now, LWARRIOR1016 said:

I want to ask the same question to you, can you provide any kind of proof that mmr assembly is no good? Ill also state, like I did last time, I dont want to fight. I just want to see proof.

Oh no I cannot. I have been doing the mustang thing for the better part of 20 years and for as long as their name is around it has been synonymous that there are issues with their assemblies. Proof? Nope. I have a good buddy who had to crate and return twice because he spun a bearing but I cannot offer documentation. I always say this,  I am not an I-told-you-so kind of guy as I left that in the 80's with grade school, but remember a good forewarning should you choose to venture that path. 

I had an MMR motor in my lightning .... didn't have any crazy issues with it. Obviously they do something right as 10 yrs later they are still in business. Their customer service has left some to be desired in my experience but over all I still buy parts from them.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, fiveohwblow said:

Oh no I cannot. I have been doing the mustang thing for the better part of 20 years and for as long as their name is around it has been synonymous that there are issues with their assemblies. Proof? Nope. I have a good buddy who had to crate and return twice because he spun a bearing but I cannot offer documentation. I always say this,  I am not an I-told-you-so kind of guy as I left that in the 80's with grade school, but remember a good forewarning should you choose to venture that path. 

I wont be venturing the path simply because I build all my own stuff. Im just looking for any kind of evidence (I do believe you about your buddy's engine, by the way) that mmr is actually building crap products. Ive read a lot about them and most of it is out dated or he said-she said type of things.

7 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

I'm not here to fight, but do you have any proof that mmr is causing issues? 

Personally no, so what I've said is as far as I'll go. I don't creep around other forums much lately, most of what I've seen/heard comes from Facebook. The most recent issues I've seen come from them have been about their oil pumps. If you want actual negative firsthand experiences then join Todd Warren's NA SVT group. Several people there can vouch for MMR's spotty reputation. Having said that, I do agree their parts are usually decent stuff, I'd just be a little leery of anything they assemble. 

I used both, I build everything myself if you follow me on the other site. I did not deck the block or heads because I do not have a BIG  flycutter, no big deal... I found some good prices on MMR specials.  As far as Mod Max I can  recommend them highly,  yes there is a lot of Chinese parts out there but  price checking throughout the web will tell you which they are and some are excellent. Dale at Mod Max saved my ass and was very easy to talk to about mistakes I had made in parts selection. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, RassCar said:

Personally no, so what I've said is as far as I'll go. I don't creep around other forums much lately, most of what I've seen/heard comes from Facebook. The most recent issues I've seen come from them have been about their oil pumps. If you want actual negative firsthand experiences then join Todd Warren's NA SVT group. Several people there can vouch for MMR's spotty reputation. Having said that, I do agree their parts are usually decent stuff, I'd just be a little leery of anything they assemble. 

Pay close attention to that persons particular FB page mood.....its always negative and degrading, UNLESS.....you swingin on dem nuts! I remember over on the corral folks destroying MMR. Me not really knowing if the story was true. Could have been total BS for all I know, but those guys in particular ramped up the negative degrade to MMR. Any of my racing buddies needing guidance calling on them for help, they were happy to offer info. Sure their may have been a few bad seeds, but that particular asshole crowd hangs together and to be honest was probably collaborated, cause them assholes don't post anywhere else.

The Boss rods are the best bang for your buck that exists! 

If I didn't have Manley sitting on the shelf I would order them and I still might just to have if needed. The price will go up eventually. 

I have a few MMR parts on my car and never had any issues. I think their customer service was lacking back in the day and they had a bad batch of oil pumps so everyone jumped on the hate MMR bandwagon. I would PM the rep on Corral and they would hook me up with a sweet deal. That's all I know. 

On 6/30/2017 at 5:40 AM, 96blackgt54 said:

Pay close attention to that persons particular FB page mood.....its always negative and degrading, UNLESS.....you swingin on dem nuts! I remember over on the corral folks destroying MMR. Me not really knowing if the story was true. Could have been total BS for all I know, but those guys in particular ramped up the negative degrade to MMR. Any of my racing buddies needing guidance calling on them for help, they were happy to offer info. Sure their may have been a few bad seeds, but that particular asshole crowd hangs together and to be honest was probably collaborated, cause them assholes don't post anywhere else.

I don't know any of them all that well, only really recognize the more regular/important names. I will agree that there is a sort of haughty attitude with at least a few of those guys. Kinda makes for a bad vibe to ask any nooby questions when it's supposed to be something of a support group.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:23 AM, D3vst8r96gt said:

That's probably cause they are banned.....I lurk in todds group he just changed the name btw

Right....and should you ask the simplest noob question youll get bombed with attitude. Unlike here at sn95source Here youll find the friendliest folk on the interweb hands down!

And their really isnt any better info on them facepages. I agree revolving new content has a greater turn a round, but its mostly people showing off their rides. Nothing wrong with that, I look too...lol

On 6/30/2017 at 9:23 AM, D3vst8r96gt said:

That's probably cause they are banned.....I lurk in todds group he just changed the name btw

Right....and should you ask the simplest noob question youll get bombed with attitude. Unlike here at sn95source Here youll find the friendliest folk on the interweb hands down!

And their really isnt any better info on them facepages. I agree revolving new content keeps intrest high, but its mostly people showing off their rides. Nothing wrong with that, I look too...lol.

If you want true tech,...the knowledge is on the forums.

Well I appreciate all the info, but as it turns out I won't be pulling the motor anyway. Turned out to be a loose crank pulley due to the POS piggyback under drive pulley. I should have diagnosed it earlier but at the time, it had a misfire that I couldn't figure out and then the knock happened so I just got tired and parked it. So now I just have to fix the misfire... again.

I'm still going to use the info here and build a teksid for later, though. Thanks to everyone for the info!

On 7/5/2017 at 1:52 AM, droptoppony said:

What you are finding is the old SVTP crowd. Snooty mustang owners, but bro is it a Coooobra? haha. 

The holier-than-thou attitude is a big reason why I never joined SVTP.

On 7/6/2017 at 9:18 AM, RassCar said:

The holier-than-thou attitude is a big reason why I never joined SVTP.

Oddly enough, alot of others feel the same way! Im glad youre here and im glad im here! 

D3 it is sad to know and iconic company has went under. Probe been around for a minute back in the old push rod days. Couldnt find a better deal! They pioneered the reliable 347 stroker kit. This is where using a 351 crank in a 302 block and stock length rods would put the wrist pin into the oil control ring of the piston. Well, they developed shorter rods and proper pistons....made for a 100k mile engine were as the original build method was a 10kmile engine. I remember the kit was cheap! Like a no brainer to build!