CivilianPatriot

Need help, can't shift!

In July I picked up my first manual car, a 2003 Mustang GT with 115k miles. Recently I've had three random occasions of complete gear lockout during casual driving. The first driving around the neighborhood while learning to drive stick, the second while my dad was trying out the new wheels and tires I put on the mustang, and the third while out driving around town about a week or so ago. In each case I was stuck in neutral, unable to select any gear, with the clutch fully disengaged, I.E. pedal all the way down. It's never popped out of gear while driving and there hasn't been any clutch slip while accelerating or driving casually. The last time it happened I let off the pedal, reved the engine a little in neutral, then tried to shift again and got it to take on second, after that I could run through all the gears normally. Haven't driven her since. 

• Moderators

Can you shift it through all the gears with the car off? Meaning if you get locked out, can you turn the car off and put it in whatever gear you want? 

Does the car have a firewall adjuster and a solid clutch quadrant? 

Also, have you checked the oil level in the trans and do you know what kind of oil they put in it? 

2 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Can you shift it through all the gears with the car off? Meaning if you get locked out, can you turn the car off and put it in whatever gear you want? 

Does the car have a firewall adjuster and a solid clutch quadrant? 

Also, have you checked the oil level in the trans and do you know what kind of oil they put in it? 

I can run the gears without resistance with the car off.

I don't know about the adjuster and quadrant, but as far as I know, almost everything is stock for an 03 GT besides a cold air intake and exhaust. 

I haven't checked the trans fluid level and I don't know what fluid it's currently running. I haven't been under the car yet or done a full fluids check since I've only driven it a handful of times so far and haven't had the money to do a full drain and fill.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, CivilianPatriot said:

I can run the gears without resistance with the car off.

I don't know about the adjuster and quadrant, but as far as I know, almost everything is stock for an 03 GT besides a cold air intake and exhaust. 

I haven't checked the trans fluid level and I don't know what fluid it's currently running. I haven't been under the car yet or done a full fluids check since I've only driven it a handful of times so far and haven't had the money to do a full drain and fill.

Sounds like youre either having a clutch issue or the trans is low on oil. When you get the chance, I would drain it and re-fill. I always use penzoil synchromesh and it works great. Its easiest to remove the shifter and fill from inside the car. I will have to double check the capacity.

For the clutch, if its all stock, grab the clutch pedal and pick it up (like pulling it toward you). Thats the factory adjuster, and you might not be disengaging the clutch completely, causing it to not want to go in gear.

5 hours ago, Blackmage said:

can you rev match and get into gears without using the clutch while driving?  I was thinking clutch issue as well.  

I haven't been driving and practicing enough to get there yet. I've been able to a time or two, but not reliably or regularly

On 8/23/2017 at 8:22 AM, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Sounds like youre either having a clutch issue or the trans is low on oil. When you get the chance, I would drain it and re-fill. I always use penzoil synchromesh and it works great. Its easiest to remove the shifter and fill from inside the car. I will have to double check the capacity.

For the clutch, if its all stock, grab the clutch pedal and pick it up (like pulling it toward you). Thats the factory adjuster, and you might not be disengaging the clutch completely, causing it to not want to go in gear.

Finally got the chance to change the fluid and took it for a test drive and seemed fine but I'll have to drive it more than just 5 minutes to really know.

The clutch pedal is at the top of it's throw with about an inch of dead space before it starts to engage. 

On 8/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, CivilianPatriot said:

Finally got the chance to change the fluid and took it for a test drive and seemed fine but I'll have to drive it more than just 5 minutes to really know.

The clutch pedal is at the top of it's throw with about an inch of dead space before it starts to engage. 

I think you are misunderstanding what he said to do.

The factory clutch cable adjustment is a gear on the pedal itself.  This gear is called the quadrant, it's a flimsy plastic thing with ratcheting teeth.  To adjust it, you grab the pedal and pull it towards you until it clicks.

If you have tried this and it is at the the very end of adjustment, you may need to start saving for a clutch.  You may be able to buy yourself some time with a new cable and quadrant and firewall adjuster, but that would be a bandaid to the real issue.

I did this with a low budget so I feel your pain,. but while everything it apart I would consider a shifter as well.

To do the job properly (and to make it so you do it all in one shot):

Clutch kit - you can probably go with any OE replacement at this time.  If you want big power later, you can upgrade it then.  For now, no need to go crazy.  Too much clutch can be a bad thing.

Motorcraft throwout bearing.  Not Ford Racing.  Those are made in China.  You need to get the OE original part.  All aftermarket TOBs have had serious failure issues.

Motorcraft pilot bearing.  See above.

Good transmission fluid.  I have used several different kinds and I have not been let down.

MGW short throw shifter is my recommendation.