ThomasW

ThomasW's Two into One build

My current project has morphed from a repair/build a 99GT, to buying two cars and turning them into one. 

The 99GT has some rust around the decklid hinge on the driver side, torn lower torque boxes, crushed front subframe rails and a multitude of other issues.  Basically, i bought a chassis that'll be good for minitubbing and Sfi 25.5(3) caging, which is what will happen to that car (known as the red car).  

After deciding it would be easier to powertrain swap everything, i found a 99 v6 (known as the white car) with a blown headgasket. I offered $600 for it and it came home with me.  Ive sold enough stuff off the v6 to where i am only into it $100 now.   It appeared to be rust free, but as i started tearing into it, i found a spot on each rocker panel that had rusted through and the quarter panel metal behind the rear bumper cover had rusted through as well. 

My decision then was to either:

A: use the white car as a body panel donor for the red car and repair the red car

or

B: fix the white cars rust and continue with the swap. 

I elected for Option B as it was far less work and would let me continue with the plans of minitubbing and LS swapping the red car.  

So a little about the red cars mod:

Drivetrain:

06' 4.6 3v swap

VCT lockout

MMR -12AN upper radiator hose

Terminator Throttle body

Logan motorsports 3v swap kit

FRPP shorty headers

O/R X pipe

American Thunder Flowmaster IRS catback

FRPP blue valve covers

custom CF CAI

spec stage 1 clutch

steeda Triax Shifter

FRPP aluminum driveshaft

UPR triple hook clutch quadrant

UPR clutch pedal stop

UPR firewall adjuster

Suspension:

04 Cobra IRS:

MM delrin control arm bushings

MM poly subframe bushings

MM poly diff bushings

Steeda rear irs mount reinforcement brackets

FRPP reinforced diff cover

MM rear tierods

H&R rear race spring

MM low profile IRS bolts

UPR Chromoly tubular K member

UPR Chromoly A arms

UPR front coilover kit

UPR xtreme series bumpsteer kit

Steeda 4 bolt C/C plates

UPR oil pan savers

MM solid steering shaft

Exterior:

Terminator front bumper

Terminator side skirts

Terminator Shaved rear bumper

VFN Cajun pro cowl hood

(pending parts below)

TWcomposites CF Ducktail spoiler

TWcomposites CF cowl panel

TWcomposites CF core support cover

TWcomposites saleen style CF sail panels

Misc stuff:

Autometer triple A pillar pod

Autometer gauge cluster bezel

Aem wideband o2

Autometer Ultralite oil press, water temp, boost and electric fuel pressure

99 Cobra instrument cluster

LED instrument light swap

so everything that is in the Red car will come out and go into the white car.  

Currently the white car is a stripped roller.  Im doing a bunch of body work to it, repairing the rust and installing a full array of scott rod panels and smoothing out the engine bay. 

Once all my photos get done uploading to flikr, ill start posting some photos. 

• Like 1

Finally got some epoxy primer sprayed on nearly everything on the car:

36848212680_9b724bd1ab_b.jpg

37055977206_749776f04e_b.jpg

37246337925_de3526c623_b.jpg

With the epoxy primer on and the bare metal/filler sealed up, i took the car outside and did one more wash of the engine bay and jams.  I used a scotch brite red pad during this to scuff up the paint and prep those areas for primer and paint:

37074436102_2d585d4dd8_b.jpg

Then i pulled the doors, decklid and started dropping the front suspension.  Once the TeamZ tubular radiator support and paint shows up and gets installed, i'll get all the jams and the engine bay painted, hopefully before it gets to cold so i can start swapping parts from the red car into the white car.... unless i decide to do through floor subframe connectors...  then if the IRS sells, i may end up minitubbing and caging it to. Lol

36848209980_e846757ee7_b.jpg

Edited by ThomasW
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

the first one is unique for sure, but i feel like it has too much brown to it.  the second is definitely my choice, very close to beryllium indeed

Thats kind of my feeling on it to.  I like it bc its very unique, but the 2nd color is more of the orange i was looking for.  

That said, beryllium is pretty rare, but i have never seen a mustang in the 1st color.  

4 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

Thats kind of my feeling on it to.  I like it bc its very unique, but the 2nd color is more of the orange i was looking for.  

That said, beryllium is pretty rare, but i have never seen a mustang in the 1st color.  

i feel like that would look great on a classic, but will just seem dull on a new edge.  do you have any pics of that color on a car?

12 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

i feel like that would look great on a classic, but will just seem dull on a new edge.  do you have any pics of that color on a car?

These are the three closest.  The 2nd pic is of the actual paint.  Indoors

mp4_12c_011_2.jpg

copper%20pearl.jpg

297838f0a046da9a62ff515a1864df82.jpg

• Moderators

The first one is very close to the color on my 66 GT - Emberglo Metallic - so I am partial to that one.  With all the added flake/pearl in it, the lines on a New Edge will really make it stand out.

1 hour ago, Psychorugby said:

The first one is very close to the color on my 66 GT - Emberglo Metallic - so I am partial to that one.  With all the added flake/pearl in it, the lines on a New Edge will really make it stand out.

Got any photos?

2 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

I wonder how the first one would look if you added some extra orange pearl to it?

Might be a good mix of the two.

Thats one of the nice things about these colors, they are 2 stage pearls, so easier to spray than most which are tri-coats. 

Well i ordered a 1.5 Quart paint kit so i can do all the door jams and engine bay.  It’ll also let me decide if i like the color or not. Lol

Im thinking the grill mount twin turbo setup may be changed to something a bit more tame.. probly a single billet 7665 turbo instead.  I’ll save the insane build for the red car :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThomasW said:
On 9/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, ThomasW said:

Thats one of the nice things about these colors, they are 2 stage pearls, so easier to spray than most which are tri-coats. 

Well i ordered a 1.5 Quart paint kit so i can do all the door jams and engine bay.  It’ll also let me decide if i like the color or not. Lol

Where are you ordering the paint from? 

I've been looking for the new Lightning Blue Pearl from the 2017s.  But I'm not sure if it's a 2 stage or a 3 stage paint.  If I can find something in a 2 stage that is close, I might go with that instead.  Even better if the price is cheaper.

1 hour ago, RedTwilight said:

Where are you ordering the paint from? 

I've been looking for the new Lightning Blue Pearl from the 2017s.  But I'm not sure if it's a 2 stage or a 3 stage paint.  If I can find something in a 2 stage that is close, I might go with that instead.  Even better if the price is cheaper.

Www.thecoatingstore.com

they have some good looking colors in blue, a few i waa highly debating on using. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yeah, that color looks fantastic. Youve done a damn good job on this thing.

Also, I wanted to ask, when you spray your paint do you wet the floor or anything before hand to try to keep dust down?

57 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Yeah, that color looks fantastic. Youve done a damn good job on this thing.

Also, I wanted to ask, when you spray your paint do you wet the floor or anything before hand to try to keep dust down?

Typically you would, but i didnt. Overall there wasng much dust to get blown around. 

Thanks guys!

hopefully ill be able to ordee the remainder of the paint in a week or two.  Till then, its all about work and getting the rest of the body panels prepped and ready.  

Im debating on shaving the reflectors off the Terminator rear bumper and the antenna/emblem holes off the fenders. 

Any thoughts/suggestions?

definitely the antenna/emblems.  who listens to the radio anymore???  and emblems aren't a big deal even if you wanted to put them on in the future, all aftermarket ones don't have the alignment studs.  reflectors...i don't ever see them as an eye sore or anything that takes away from the appearance 

28 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

definitely the antenna/emblems.  who listens to the radio anymore???  and emblems aren't a big deal even if you wanted to put them on in the future, all aftermarket ones don't have the alignment studs.  reflectors...i don't ever see them as an eye sore or anything that takes away from the appearance 

I feel the same about the reflectors, they dont really bother me.. im just a bit concerned they may stick out more with the copper color than they would otherwise. 

As for the others, my truck and the wifes car stays on Satellite radio or CD’s bc the radio reception in the mountains suck, so it sounds like i’ll be welding in some holes on the fenders. Lol

• Like 1