Nater_Potater

Steering Wheel Radio Controls

As if my a/c flapper problem wasn't enough trouble for me, I'm now I'm jones-ing for an upgraded radio.  Has anyone added/converted their steering wheel to interface with an aftermarket radio to incorporate the controls into the wheel? If so, what switches did you use, and what does it take to get the radio to "talk" to the switches? I've been looking at other Ford steering wheels (Exploder and the like) to see what could be found that already has switches mounted. This would be for an '01.

Thanks,

Nathan

they make adaptors that you can basically set up with any switch.  You need a stereo with IR/remote control and it takes some patients to program it but its been for ever since I did it and I can't remember any of the specifics of it.

ttocs, thanks for the response.  I've found/been offered generic control pads that strap to the wheel's rim, but, for obvious reasons, I don't want some wonky knob hanging off the rim.  From what I've been able to find out in the meantime, the later wheels use a "clockspring" (slip ring) that has an additional contact for the radio.  If I'm insistent on this, it looks like it'll take a whole new steering column to make it work.  I think efforts might be better directed at cool stuff like more horsepower...

Nathan

it has always sounded stupid to have a wireless remote control for a car stereo but they are great once you get use to them.  Most are small enough to hold in your hand while you shift and you can still do the majority of the operations of the deck through the few buttons you can memorize so you can change things while driving and never look down.

I have two other vehicles with steering wheel controls, and have grown to love them for the fact that I don't have to drop my hands and/or eyes to fiddle with the buttons.  I do a fair amount of freeway traveling. Having to reach for the dash is quite a bit more distracting than using a thumb or index finger.  Trust me; couple the 80 miles per hour freeways speeds with the idiot drivers around here, and you want both hands on the wheel!