Number Tew

2002 Trans Am Collector Edition

Alright so we’ve been busy doing stuff with the house, but in the interim the boss and I were on the hunt for a new addition to the garage.  It’s something she’s always wanted and something I’ve been particularly interested in myself.

So, the search began for a 98-02 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6.

We test drove a 2000, but it was a bit of a wreck and the guy refused to move on the price.  He was pretty interesting.  He was really excited about how clean the oil was in his car, and repeatedly pulled the dipstick and wiped it off with his fingers.  Any time we would address another issue with the vehicle; be it cosmetic or something not working properly, he would return to the dipstick and point out just how clean the oil was.  No problem, he didn’t need her money.

The next car we looked at was a 2002 Collector Edition.  These were the last Firebirds to ever roll off the factory line from what we understand.  The car is in incredible shape.  No cracked dash, the seats are in great shape, carpet, etc.

The guy we bought it from bought it approximately a year ago, but had not ever registered it or driven it.  He said he just parked it and put some Sta-Bil in there.  As such, he was not necessarily aware of any issues aside from a squeak on the passenger side, but based on how clean everything was and the overall condition of the car, she knew it was the one.

Bought the car, brought it home and the boss has been ecstatic.

On the way home the service engine light came on.  Codes PO154, PO300, PO135 and PO155.  Basically O2 sensor codes, a random misfire code, and a “powertrain” code.  Meh.

Further inspection of the “random” misfire (using the Torque app and a Bluetooth scanner) showed that all the cylinders missed occasionally, but number six missed a LOT.

So, here’s what we’ve done so far… There will be more pics to follow:

37575891992_1eb1ca9151_b.jpg

This was us looking at the car.  The big guy is our body who has owned about 2 dozen F-Bodies, and the Boss made an appearance.

37349349940_09deb3022a_b.jpg

First picture I took of it in our driveway!

37575895622_b0ff5b9231_b.jpg

36937555903_48b192ffcd_b.jpg

Couple engine pics.  Sorry it was dark out!

So, first day I had to get to work.  On the drive home (in the dark) we noticed the passenger side headlight and fog-light were out, and the pop up headlight rode up on the hood on the driver’s side so it would not open all the way.  Pop ups are a huge pain but so cool at the same time.

So, first thing was replacing the passenger bulbs, and then adjusting the driver’s light assembly:

37575892112_e8e4bdbe87_b.jpg

37575893272_a5ff20312c_b.jpg 

37575894192_ee64b57218_b.jpg

Yay working lights and brights!!

36937553893_b369aa1ca9_b.jpg

Yay working fog lights too!  All the lights need to be aimed, but right now we were looking for function first.  Finesse later.

37575894732_843ae3c621_b.jpg

The rain kept interrupting our plans.

36937555313_44bd72ff40_b.jpg

37575895182_bda65f5282_b.jpg

Next step was getting the brakes done.  I knew there was a brake related noise and we needed to address it.  I got the rotors all taped up.  I usually do this and paint them black so they don’t get all rusty. In the future we can upgrade to better pads and rotors, for now we needed something on the car.

36897585194_8a9abab44c_b.jpg

36937557493_f01067f630_b.jpg

You can tell it’s been sitting.  Look at these weird egg things.

37575896882_656b334f2f_b.jpg

Got the pads out; and just take a look at old to new.  Every single pad was pretty much down to the metal.  My guess is the guy who sold it to the guy we bought it from, did one serious burnout before selling it.  That and it’s possible they were original pads at 125k.  They were GONE needless to say.

37575898482_9c5839b8d0_b.jpg

Here’s the brake fluid that came out.  It could still probably take some more flushing, but for now I am sure what we did is better than what was in there.  I will be able to do a better job with some speed bleeders in place.  They were out of stock and brakes were a huge priority.

While the car was up for the brakes I got under it to see just what kind of exhaust it had, because I knew it was throaty.  Turns out it has long tube headers back to straight pipes.  No cats, no mufflers, no resonators, just pipe.  It does some weird bendy stuff by the axle but I guess that is probably normal on these cars.  WOOT!

Next I went ahead and got the fuel filter changed.  Figured I couldn’t go wrong with an AC Delco filter, and it probably needed some love:

37575900792_438c9ba557_b.jpg

36937560293_41eb39b7fe_b.jpg

This is the fuel from the filter.  NICE!

Next on the agenda were the spark plugs.   I have always heard the old fable of how terribly impossible these plugs are to do.  I guess not having EGR and having LT headers made it really easy?  I am not sure.  The plugs were a breeze, did the first 7 from the top and number 8 from the bottom.  The ones that came out were Autolite Iridiums.  Well, seven of them were.  Number 8 (the one everyone cries about) was a factory AC Delco.  NICE!  All of the plugs were gapped over 60, besides the AC Delco which was at 40.  I put NGK TR5 plugs in and they were all gapped at 40 and I used an untold amount of ant seize.  Some pics:

36937561233_4730e219a1_b.jpg

37575902342_45fd661bcb_b.jpg

I am not an expert on reading spark plugs, but they all looked about the same.  I think it’s probably running well?

None of the wires appeared to be burned through or anything, which is a plus!  MSD wires will be going on when they get here with some dielectric grease.  Getting the old wires off was not easy, so that should help.

Next on the agenda are the O2 sensors.  I ordered Denso sensors because that is apparently all the AC Delco sensors are.

We ordered O2 extensions just in case the new sensors are not long enough for the headers.  Someone put in sensors with about 18 feet of cable and it’s all bundled up under the car.  No thanks.

I will also be doing an oil change and adding a Fumoto valve on the pan to preserve the threads and make oil changes even easier.

Hopefully all of these little things will clear up the codes and make it so I feel comfortable with her out driving around reliably!

37575899312_4495be1a43_b.jpg

Hoping to have it on the rollers this weekend at a car show to see what it puts down!

Future plans:

Probably keeping it mostly stock because it is the collector’s edition, but we can play that by ear.

Tie rods will probably go soon.  It would not surprise me if the clutch is going to need an overhaul soon.  If it does, we may let someone rebuild the T56 and beef it up a bit.

The passenger window motor is on its way out, but that’s a huge issue with these cars so I expect that.

I discovered today that the door key holes are not the same as the ignition, we will need to either re-key them all the same, or at least get door keys for when the remote does not cooperate.

The speakers are pretty much blown.   Eventually we will probably just replace them, no crazy system or anything.

So, that’s where we’re at.  Hope you guys like it!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thats a nice car! Ive had a soft spot for those after I built a transmission for one that my buddy races. His is an 02 Formula NMRA Edition (I think thats what it is). It looks like you guys have a really good starting point for the car. There are couple things to look out for though.

Traction control being a big one, this setup is on the throttle body and it physically limits how far you press the throttle when it becomes active so keep that in mind. My buddy almost died coming out of a car wash, not playing or anything just trying to get out in traffic, the tires were wet and broke loose then the traction control wouldnt let him get back into the throttle and he almost got smashed by a few cars.

Pay close attention to the sail panel right behind the t-tops, they like to bubble up under the paint. Its something to do with the glue they used to build it. If it happens, the only thing you can do is replace it. No amount of body work will solve it.

The dash, be super gentle with it. It seems like once it get armor all or something of the likes, the plastic starts to dry out and it will crack.

Also, your transmission shouldnt need any work done to it. If it works well now, let it ride. Those T56's are pretty stout and Ive seen them behind nitrous cars, supercharged cars, daily drivers, all kinds of stuff. They are routinely launched on drag radials or slicks around here as the street scene is huge in my area. Your 10 bolt rear end should break before your transmission.

4 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Thats a nice car! Ive had a soft spot for those after I built a transmission for one that my buddy races. His is an 02 Formula NMRA Edition (I think thats what it is). It looks like you guys have a really good starting point for the car. There are couple things to look out for though.

Traction control being a big one, this setup is on the throttle body and it physically limits how far you press the throttle when it becomes active so keep that in mind. My buddy almost died coming out of a car wash, not playing or anything just trying to get out in traffic, the tires were wet and broke loose then the traction control wouldnt let him get back into the throttle and he almost got smashed by a few cars.

Pay close attention to the sail panel right behind the t-tops, they like to bubble up under the paint. Its something to do with the glue they used to build it. If it happens, the only thing you can do is replace it. No amount of body work will solve it.

The dash, be super gentle with it. It seems like once it get armor all or something of the likes, the plastic starts to dry out and it will crack.

Also, your transmission shouldnt need any work done to it. If it works well now, let it ride. Those T56's are pretty stout and Ive seen them behind nitrous cars, supercharged cars, daily drivers, all kinds of stuff. They are routinely launched on drag radials or slicks around here as the street scene is huge in my area. Your 10 bolt rear end should break before your transmission.

Luckily, the traction control was an option they did not get :)

I know the rear end will probably go before the trans, another bane of these cars I suppose lol!

The dash right now is uncracked, but who knows how long we can keep it that way.  Several prayers to the mullet gods may help.

As far as the sail panel, I think it's all good for now!

3 hours ago, Prokiller said:
i've always had a sweet spot for those trans ams.  looks like it's in really good shape too bodywise.  

The body is pristine!

1 hour ago, Josh@RideTech said:

Love those cars.  I had a '95, car was a blast even with the LT1.  However, it got rear ended by a Grand Cherokee and didn't make it back home. 

It really has been a lot of fun so far.  Can't wait to get it so it's not missing!

9 hours ago, Blackmage said:

man i love those TA's.  Ive always wanted one pretty bad.  Car looks great!

Thanks!  We will get some exhaust vids up soon.  Maybe a shot if we get it on the dyno this weekend like we are planning!

• Like 1

I remember when I was a senior in HS my buddy's dad bought a brand new burnt orange 02 Trans Am WS6 and he let him drive it down to Myrtle Beach for senior week. That was a fun week to say the least. To a group of 18 yr olds, that thing was like a damn rocket ship!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Thanks!  We will get some exhaust vids up soon.  Maybe a shot if we get it on the dyno this weekend like we are planning!

I will put my estimate at 315/345

10 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

I remember when I was a senior in HS my buddy's dad bought a brand new burnt orange 02 Trans Am WS6 and he let him drive it down to Myrtle Beach for senior week. That was a fun week to say the least. To a group of 18 yr olds, that thing was like a damn rocket ship!

Hell, it still feels not far off from a rocket ship as it is!

9 hours ago, White95 said:

I will put my estimate at 315/345

I bet you will be pretty darn close.

10 hours ago, RassCar said:

Am jelly. It'll certainly put down more than the 240/280 of my GT.

We will see.  Got some more stuff sorted out on it tonight.  According to the Torque app it still detects a miss, but it does not feel like it.  I switched coil-packs around and it is still on the same cylinder.  Injector sounds like it is operating just fine.  According to torque (which may be way off) the miss goes away once it's not at idle.

October 11 and 12, 2017

Alright next item to address was the Oxygen sensors.  I got a pair of Denso units to replace whatever was under the car before.  AC Delco sensors are apparently just rebadged Densos.  The sensor wires were a little short for the long tubes, but we addressed that with extensions and some zip ties.  It’s all good now.

37604452616_7565c33229_b.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry picture.  It looked clear when I took it!)

37654026131_35108abce8_b.jpg

37611966806_2cb4d3327e_b.jpg

Next on the list was a set of MSD Super Conductor 8.5 mm wires.  These went on fairly easily and they look nice.

23800364258_e27b459912_b.jpg

36982440483_c3bf6a5be4_b.jpg

When I changed the oil I installed a Fumoto drain valve with a 3/8 nipple. This will make oil changes a bit cleaner and easier.

37628853442_2e8187241c_b.jpg

37628856582_f54a1e9cc9_b.jpg

From this angle the nipple looks like it is touching the collector but there is a fair amount of space between them.

23800369258_c5a751fa3e_b.jpg

Next up, I got the MAF all cleaned up.  I used Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol to get the bulk off, then I used some CRC MAF cleaner for a final spray down.  All of the contacts were black to start off, so, huge improvement there.

Next I decided to clean the throttle body.  On some vehicles I have owned there has been a tremendous change in throttle response just from doing this.  As you can see, it was pretty dirty.

36982411603_13806bc81c_b.jpg

23800369498_d0faeb862f_b.jpg

Next up was swapping the KNN filter for a nice new paper one.  These cars are apparently very susceptible to issues related to oiled air filters.  No problem, these are a cheap easy fix.

36982437263_667382fa2a_b.jpg

We also went ahead and installed some locking lugs, because well, for those who don’t know, the boss lady’s wheels were stolen years ago.  Coincidentally that is what led us to meeting one another, but we don’t want it to happen again!

So after all of this, I used the Torque app again to check for misfires.  Nearly identical results to what was happening before:

37395748820_01d4d091fb_b.jpg

I switched the number 2 and 6 coil pack, but this supposed miss stays at number 6.  The injector sounds fine, but I did not undo the rail and start moving injectors around.

Under load (not idle) the miss goes away according to Torque.

On our first test drive, we now get lean codes and a random miss, but the car seems to be running much better.  I bet once we drive around a bit after this tune up it will do some sorting out on its own.  I will also be getting some more fresh gas for it tomorrow which should help things a bit.

So, that’s where we are for now!

regular maintenance stuff like this is always the first thing that needs to bet done when getting a used car.  like you said, hopefully all the new, fresh, and clean things should make a difference

I am resetting the ECU this morning (pull a couple fuses and wait) and then doing an idle reset procedure (run up to temp, turn on a/c, wait 5 mins, turn off a/c, wait 5 mins) to let the car get some fuel trims figured out.

Getting a couple tanks of fresh gas through her will probably help some as well. I'd be tempted to throw a bit of injector cleaner in it if you're opting against pulling the injectors, after a year of sitting it's likely they could be a little bit gummed up. Always loved these cars, I looked at a few 98/99's when I was first shopping for toys and ended up with the SN instead. Would still love to own one someday!

On 10/17/2017 at 10:33 AM, Det_Riot said:

Getting a couple tanks of fresh gas through her will probably help some as well. I'd be tempted to throw a bit of injector cleaner in it if you're opting against pulling the injectors, after a year of sitting it's likely they could be a little bit gummed up. Always loved these cars, I looked at a few 98/99's when I was first shopping for toys and ended up with the SN instead. Would still love to own one someday!

We needed to jump on it because they are going up and up and up in price right now.  I am not against pulling the injectors, I don't think it's too hard to do.  I put some seafoam in with the gas, and have ran a little more than a tank of gas through it.

Right now it is giving a lean code, and that's more nerve-racking than random misfire codes.  

5 hours ago, Number Tew said:

We needed to jump on it because they are going up and up and up in price right now.  I am not against pulling the injectors, I don't think it's too hard to do.  I put some seafoam in with the gas, and have ran a little more than a tank of gas through it.

Right now it is giving a lean code, and that's more nerve-racking than random misfire codes.  

I'd try n throw some injector cleaner in it and see if that helps, If not then pulling injectors and having them cleaned would be the next step IMO. 

could be a faulty O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak between manifold and head or before the O2 somewhere.  Easier said than done, but if you can get something hooked up to it to check voltages and how stuff is reading, that would help.  Could a vacuum leak cause a lean code too, or would it more than likely cause it to run rich?

On 10/19/2017 at 11:20 PM, Number Tew said:

We may try that then.  Think it could be causing the lean code??

It's possible, if an injector is clogged and not spraying enough fuel it'd run lean. Vacuum leak could do the same. Check the manifold bolts like will said, and maybe try the tried and true carb cleaner vacuum leak test.

You will not get a misfire code with a bad injector...it dont work like that. You need to solve the misfire codes before you waist any money on anything else. More than likey a coil pack..i see you replaced the wires..did you pull the plugs on the misfire cylinders? My guess is there fouled out. The ecm is at its lean limit and cant adjust anymore. 

On 10/25/2017 at 11:06 PM, Blackmage said:

could be a faulty O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak between manifold and head or before the O2 somewhere.  Easier said than done, but if you can get something hooked up to it to check voltages and how stuff is reading, that would help.  Could a vacuum leak cause a lean code too, or would it more than likely cause it to run rich?

The O2's are brand new so I doubt they are bad, though it is possible.  I have the OBDII reader with the Torque app which reads a lot of voltage on sensors and such.  Vac leaks sometimes show lean codes because of unmetered air.

18 hours ago, Det_Riot said:

It's possible, if an injector is clogged and not spraying enough fuel it'd run lean. Vacuum leak could do the same. Check the manifold bolts like will said, and maybe try the tried and true carb cleaner vacuum leak test.

I did a smoke test on it, but have not tried the carb cleaner test, that's next.

11 hours ago, 95opal said:

You will not get a misfire code with a bad injector...it dont work like that. You need to solve the misfire codes before you waist any money on anything else. More than likey a coil pack..i see you replaced the wires..did you pull the plugs on the misfire cylinders? My guess is there fouled out. The ecm is at its lean limit and cant adjust anymore. 

I swapped out coil six for coil 2, and it did not change anything.  All new plugs and wires.  The misfire code is "random misfire" so it's annoying.

Wires seem to be good.  Sigh.  We have been trying to run it, I know sitting for a year did not help it much at all.  So, getting it out and opened up is probably making it happy.

We might look into that.  The more i ask LS guys, it is sounding like a tune issue.  This morning we pulled the fuel rail and bench cleaned all of the injectors with a syringe full of carb cleaner and a battery.  Also sprayed out the fuel rail.  Some yellowish fluid came out at first.  Some solids came from the injectors when I tapped them out in a bowl of carb cleaner.  Then went over them all with qtips and got a bunch of muck off.  All of the injectors had the same level of resistance, 0.12 ohms.  

The coils may need to be swapped.  I know at least two of them are Dorman units.  Not sure on the rest.

6 hours ago, Number Tew said:

We might look into that.  The more i ask LS guys, it is sounding like a tune issue.  This morning we pulled the fuel rail and bench cleaned all of the injectors with a syringe full of carb cleaner and a battery.  Also sprayed out the fuel rail.  Some yellowish fluid came out at first.  Some solids came from the injectors when I tapped them out in a bowl of carb cleaner.  Then went over them all with qtips and got a bunch of muck off.  All of the injectors had the same level of resistance, 0.12 ohms.  

The coils may need to be swapped.  I know at least two of them are Dorman units.  Not sure on the rest.

As i said earlier if your getting a misfire code it has nothing to do with the fuel system. Its coil pac related hence the lean code along with it. A tune issue would not trigger a mis fire code unless stevie wonder is your tuner. Stop chasing bs and test your coil pacs. There maintenance items just like nrake pads...they go bad after xxx amount of miles. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

I understand and generally would agree but the fact that he swapped 6’s coil with another and it still showed misfire on 6 is quite odd. 

Look at his torque app results..

Multiple misfires on 3,4,6,8 swwpping 2 and 6 will not cure the other 3 misfires. 

For the most part, under any sort of load the miss seems to go away.  We will probably start collecting coils though, or saving for them at least.  Like I said most of them are probably Dorman units, and who knows how they perform.  I would probably rather have AC Delco or Delphi stuff in place.

Alright, switched all the coils today.  Used a set of MSD ones.  Seems to run much smoother, and did not get the random misfire code.  However, we still get lean codes bank 2 and 1.  Ugh.

I think I have finally got it mostly shaken down!

The only codes being thrown now are slow switching codes, PO1133 which is most likely the PCM not loving the Denso sensors. I will likely replace them ASAP with AC Delco Sensors.

I found some major vacuum leaks in the PCV system. It was all deteriorated in the rear, the two sides did not connect anymore, and the housing for the PCV was entirely deteriorated where it attaches to the intake manifold.

Some pics of how it looked:

23886711697_8a54b99eb2_z.jpg

38610748182_8df64435d4_z.jpg

I ended up putting a new PCV in place, and replacing the split factory equipment with some new 3/8 hoses. I will likely be putting a catch can system in soon, but this made the car run immensely better!

12 hours ago, Number Tew said:

I think I have finally got it mostly shaken down!

The only codes being thrown now are slow switching codes, PO1133 which is most likely the PCM not loving the Denso sensors. I will likely replace them ASAP with AC Delco Sensors.

I found some major vacuum leaks in the PCV system. It was all deteriorated in the rear, the two sides did not connect anymore, and the housing for the PCV was entirely deteriorated where it attaches to the intake manifold.

Some pics of how it looked:

23886711697_8a54b99eb2_z.jpg

38610748182_8df64435d4_z.jpg

I ended up putting a new PCV in place, and replacing the split factory equipment with some new 3/8 hoses. I will likely be putting a catch can system in soon, but this made the car run immensely better!

Boom and thats the end of the lean code. 

2 hours ago, Number Tew said:

It seems like it is!  This was a sneaky leak, and I wish I would have thought to replace hoses earlier.  But, I know doing all the stuff we did certainly did not hurt!

Thought I read earlier on in this post you checked for vac leaks? You slackin? Do I have to stop over and check on your work? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 95opal said:

Thought I read earlier on in this post you checked for vac leaks? You slackin? Do I have to stop over and check on your work? 

I did a smoke test!  I think that the hoses weren't totally blown apart until I pulled on them.  Are you in town?

9 hours ago, Number Tew said:

I did a smoke test!  I think that the hoses weren't totally blown apart until I pulled on them.  Are you in town?

Yes sir, on vacation until April. When is the next meet or show lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, 95opal said:

FL2k, Silver Springs, and Wanna Go Fast all in January!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 95opal said:

Wish I would have known.  The boss just went to Festivals of Speed over the weekend which was apparently really cool.  I was not able to make it.

12 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

FL2k, Silver Springs, and Wanna Go Fast all in January!

These are all true.  The Silver Springs show is a big deal this year because it's supposed to be the last one.