LWARRIOR1016

Warrior's grandpa car build

Well, here we go again. I sold some of my 2v parts to Frank for his engine but I still had my 13:1 compression long block sitting in my shed, itching to go in a car. So I hunted around for a crown vic, or another mustang and nothing really came up. Until now! I found this car for $700, in good shape, with a locked up engine. It fit the criteria perfectly.

2001 Licoln Town car, congressional town sedan edition (whatever that means). Its got about 180k miles on it, just had a/c replaced and their son drove it without oil. Apparently they liked to drive without coolant also because the aluminum crossover on this POS dorman intake wasnt bolted down to the intake at all.

The plan here is to port some NPI heads and out them on my aluminum block. 12:1 compression with PI cams, PI intake, j-mod to the transmission, and a 3600 stall converter. Probably a 3.73 gear swap.

The day I got it home.
43627923214_ae58b87f50_k.jpg

Interior is in good shape, other than the carpet.
44344116961_21905a51c3_k.jpg

44344114491_929aa8208d_k.jpg

Starting tear down

44295847222_5aa62e1038_k.jpg

43627923044_70c70854d0_k.jpg

Ill keep it updated!

• Like 1

old man tan!  should actually be a really fun car when its done

33 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

old man tan!  should actually be a really fun car when its done

lol

Thats what Im hoping for. Maybe Ill get the old engine pulled out this weekend, who knows.

Got the engine out this weekend. Had to pull the torque converter with the engine because it was locked up tight. I am here to say, if anyone ever asks you guys to pull the engine out of their town car (Im assuming the crown vic and whatnot are the same), you should politely decline and then kick them in the nuts and run away as fast as you can. I would rather pull mustang engines all day long instead of doing these! There are a bunch of random brackets and bolts and ground wires everywhere. I had to pull the motor mounts off the block because it wouldnt come out by just taking the mount loose from the frame bracket. Either way, I got it out. The story continues.

43557441015_5f3de4b5e2_k.jpg

43557440965_c9d05af293_k.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, spent a couple hours working on the grandpa car yesterday afternoon.

Got the torque converter installed
44653374171_cd50315045_k.jpg

And the engine ready to go.
44603345062_7dbc349d0a_k.jpg

And set it in the car.
44603344742_2cb7aaec31_k.jpg

I got almost everything finished in about 3 hours. Ive got to put the intake manifold on it and should be able to fire it up tonight.

• Like 1

Hot damn, I wish I were that motivated lol

• Haha 1

Well, I fired it up yesterday afternoon when I got home from work. It ran alright, mostly lol. There is an oil port plug that I missed on the driver side head, its gone. I kept reminding myself to put it in and still forgot to do it. So fired the car up and left a puddle of oil under it. All good though, its running now. I just have to get it all finished up. 

• Haha 1

I also discovered that the mustang cam and crank sensors are just different enough so they don't plug in to the harness. I had to swap them over to the town car stuff, which meant pulling the a/c compressor back off and swapping the crank sensor out. I guess this is their way of selling two different sensors that do the same thing and marking one up higher than the other one. 

I started it and found this after about 30 seconds
A huge puddle of oil
44071840434_9472654284_k.jpg

Because I left the plug out here
44071836714_e305f98910_z.jpg

Also had to make up my home made egr delete. Its just temporary
44742015672_fe26efa29f_k.jpg

Just now, Prokiller said:

don't let the EPA see that

Dont worry, I have had the area dug out. 10'x10'x10' and the contaminated oil has been disposed of properly. The new dirt has already arrived and been put down.

24 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Dont worry, I have had the area dug out. 10'x10'x10' and the contaminated oil has been disposed of properly. The new dirt has already arrived and been put down.

What about sod?  

3 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

What about sod?  

I took a bunch of small patches from various places around the yard and put those down on the new spot. That way, the yard look completely undisturbed. You'd never know I was there if I didnt tell you

40 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

i'm actually not sure if you're joking or not but i was 

Thats the magic of it! lol

I was totally joking.

• Like 1