LWARRIOR1016

Warrior's grandpa car build

• Moderators

Well, here we go again. I sold some of my 2v parts to Frank for his engine but I still had my 13:1 compression long block sitting in my shed, itching to go in a car. So I hunted around for a crown vic, or another mustang and nothing really came up. Until now! I found this car for $700, in good shape, with a locked up engine. It fit the criteria perfectly.

2001 Licoln Town car, congressional town sedan edition (whatever that means). Its got about 180k miles on it, just had a/c replaced and their son drove it without oil. Apparently they liked to drive without coolant also because the aluminum crossover on this POS dorman intake wasnt bolted down to the intake at all.

The plan here is to port some NPI heads and out them on my aluminum block. 12:1 compression with PI cams, PI intake, j-mod to the transmission, and a 3600 stall converter. Probably a 3.73 gear swap.

The day I got it home.
43627923214_ae58b87f50_k.jpg

Interior is in good shape, other than the carpet.
44344116961_21905a51c3_k.jpg

44344114491_929aa8208d_k.jpg

Starting tear down

44295847222_5aa62e1038_k.jpg

43627923044_70c70854d0_k.jpg

Ill keep it updated!

• Like 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

old man tan!  should actually be a really fun car when its done

lol

Thats what Im hoping for. Maybe Ill get the old engine pulled out this weekend, who knows.

• Moderators

Got the engine out this weekend. Had to pull the torque converter with the engine because it was locked up tight. I am here to say, if anyone ever asks you guys to pull the engine out of their town car (Im assuming the crown vic and whatnot are the same), you should politely decline and then kick them in the nuts and run away as fast as you can. I would rather pull mustang engines all day long instead of doing these! There are a bunch of random brackets and bolts and ground wires everywhere. I had to pull the motor mounts off the block because it wouldnt come out by just taking the mount loose from the frame bracket. Either way, I got it out. The story continues.

43557441015_5f3de4b5e2_k.jpg

43557440965_c9d05af293_k.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok, spent a couple hours working on the grandpa car yesterday afternoon.

Got the torque converter installed
44653374171_cd50315045_k.jpg

And the engine ready to go.
44603345062_7dbc349d0a_k.jpg

And set it in the car.
44603344742_2cb7aaec31_k.jpg

I got almost everything finished in about 3 hours. Ive got to put the intake manifold on it and should be able to fire it up tonight.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well, I fired it up yesterday afternoon when I got home from work. It ran alright, mostly lol. There is an oil port plug that I missed on the driver side head, its gone. I kept reminding myself to put it in and still forgot to do it. So fired the car up and left a puddle of oil under it. All good though, its running now. I just have to get it all finished up. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I also discovered that the mustang cam and crank sensors are just different enough so they don't plug in to the harness. I had to swap them over to the town car stuff, which meant pulling the a/c compressor back off and swapping the crank sensor out. I guess this is their way of selling two different sensors that do the same thing and marking one up higher than the other one. 

• Moderators
Just now, Prokiller said:

don't let the EPA see that

Dont worry, I have had the area dug out. 10'x10'x10' and the contaminated oil has been disposed of properly. The new dirt has already arrived and been put down.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

What about sod?  

I took a bunch of small patches from various places around the yard and put those down on the new spot. That way, the yard look completely undisturbed. You'd never know I was there if I didnt tell you

• Moderators

Today will be the first real drive with the grandpa car. I trailered it to work today (75 miles away) and will be driving it home. Looks like we will be in rain and heat, on top of new orleans rush hour traffic. That sounds like a good way to break it in and see if there are any issues.

• Like 1

• Moderators
The first drive (and many following) did good. I’ve got about 1k miles on it now and all seems well. It’s getting about 23 mpg and is so smooth and quiet. I’m really digging it. I started a new job last week and this has been my daily and has been doing great. 

Today I did pads and rotors all around and changed the pitman arm and idler arm that tightened up the steering nicely. I am also working on collecting parts for the rear end build, going 3.73 and have to install a trac loc unit as this one is open diff. Then I’ve got a line on a guy that will build me a full custom exhaust as all the pre fab kits are much too expensive. Until then, I’ll keep on driving it. 

• Moderators

No evil, I will not turbo this one. It has to stay semi mild lol. 

The he plan for exhaust is maybe some shorty headers with 2.5” pipe, two cats, and chambered magnaflow mufflers. It’ll flow nice and have a really mild sound with a growl when I get in to it. 

I thought about doing cutouts but I don’t think I would use them enough to warrant the cost. 

• Moderators

Alrighty fellas, its time for a little update. I should be updating the mustang build, but I haven't touched it.

I got home from Virginia and started driving the car again, found out my cats were clogged up so I built a new exhaust. I just ordered a fab you own kit from ebay that had bends in it and I made it work. The welds are ugly but they are leak free. I really need to get a better machine.

Stock exhaust out

48147619967_a57267e067_k.jpg

Next to the new setup I built

48147619982_5715fab3d5_k.jpg

Magnaflow mufflers

48147619777_41d3106816_k.jpg

Tailpipes

48407614562_0c06662dac_k.jpg

• Moderators

Then the transmission took a shit. So it came out for a rebuild, then I had to go to another military school so it is waiting on me to get home and finish it up.

Ready to be pulled

48407616277_ae89914348_k.jpg

Got it out

48407465286_1156958f4e_k.jpg

And tore down. This is where it currently waits for me to get home

48407597997_497d8cda61_k.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well, the transmission got rebuilt and installed. Only to find out that I cut a seal when I assembled it. So I pulled it out again and fixed it. Reinstalled, only to find out the torque converter was bad. This converter was rebuilt by roadrunner converters and failed right out of the box. So I ordered a 2800 stall from FTI. Pulled the transmission AGAIN and installed the new converter. All is right in the world again. 

After all that, I picked up a trac lok diff from @White95 so I can build the rear end next. Probably going to end up with 3.73’s. 

FEE87F6D-5660-48E8-A291-4BA9C85F56EC.jpeg

• Like 1