GTTRacing91PGT

ThomasW's Custom brake brackets

8 hours ago, GTTRacing91PGT said:

Those calipers look great on there! Count me in for a set of those brackets!!! 🤑

Sounds good!

I’m expecting them to be similarly prices as the other guys kit, but im also planning to have these anodized in black to prevent corrosion.  

The big question is, do you guy want the drillbit/tap needed for the spindle mods included or available as an “option”. 

Drill bit and tap is basically $75 extra as an option. 

Could everyone who was interested in the Gt500 or S550 brake caliper brackets post up with which version they were interested in. 

I got the S550 caliper brackets refined (they are slightly different from the GT500) and am waiting on the first proof set to arrive to verify fitment with a metal set. 

The machinist is wanting to know how many potential sets of each so he can determine materials and a pricing schedule. 

• Moderators

Man, I totally should have followed through with the intake idea like you are. In the midst of a coyote swap and I’m kicking myself in the butt for not doing it now. 

Im interested in the s550 bracket. Did you see if those would fit behind a 17” wheel like the gt500’s did? And what’s the wheel spacer situation with these? 

Any idea on price? 

43 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Man, I totally should have followed through with the intake idea like you are. In the midst of a coyote swap and I’m kicking myself in the butt for not doing it now. 

Im interested in the s550 bracket. Did you see if those would fit behind a 17” wheel like the gt500’s did? And what’s the wheel spacer situation with these? 

Any idea on price? 

Its never to late! Lol

I didnt check to see if they would fit 17’s but, i had to space the caliper further away from the spindle centerline by 3/32”, which will have taken nearly all (if not all) of the radial clearance between the caliper and the inner surface of the wheel barrel, so i would say with 99% certainty, 17’s wont fit. 

Price wise, no idea.  Probly somewhere around the same price as the ftr kit with hardware, anodized brackets and the spacer.    

These brackets use a 3/16 spacer between the hub and the rotor.   

They also require NON-reversible modifications to the spindle itself.  

Modifications involve drilling/tapping the stock lower caliper mount hole and also grinding the outer surface of that “tang” with a bevel to provide clearance for the caliper to fit. 

The Calipers themselves require some slight grinding to provide clearance as well. 

The Gt500’s need the top surface machined “pads” ground off and smoothed to fit inside 17 inch wheels.  

The S550 calipers (4 pistons only, the 6 piston ones i havent had the $$$ to buy and verify yet) require a bezel to be ground on the upper bolt tang to clear the upper caliper bracket bolt head.

F2DE28BB-DBCC-4126-9F2C-00077AD1B430.jpeg

20 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Any update on the caliper adapters? 

Files have been sent off to the machinist, he’s just been working 10-12hr shifts 6 days a week and hasnt had time to machine any yet. 

• Like 1

Brake Caliper Bracket guys...

i need a show of hands on who all is still interested at $350 for the brackets, spacers and hardware.

if you want/need the drill bit and tap (14mm bit, M16x2 through hole tap) those would be another $75.  

The machinist said he can have them all done and shipped to me no later than the last week of April and wants a $100 deposit for each set.   He also said the deposit is non-refundable once he orders the materials.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

Made to fit the GT500 brakes from an s197.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two different S197 GT500 brakes (4 piston and 6 piston... both should mount the same regardless), hence I asked the question.  I have an extra set of 4 piston Brembos off my Coyote.

12 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

And holy hell!! Are the bits and taps that high??? Ive never bought that size tap so I didn’t know they were crazy like that.

About $28-38/each depending on the source (those are mcmaster carr prices).  If your patient, sometimes they pop up on ebay for cheaper. 

53 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

@ThomasW these brackets will fit S197 Brembos to the SN95 spindle, correct?  I just want to make abso-fucking-lutely sure before I commit $350 to the cause.

I have brackets for:

4 piston GT500 Brembos (05 to 09) that fit in a 17” wheel

and 

4 piston GT500 Brembos OR S197 4 piston calipers.  These brackets require a 18” wheel for both caliper styles. 

Both require spindle mods, the 17” wheel brembo bracket requires some caliper mods as well. 

Both brackets are for SN95 spindles. 

The attached photo shows the lower spindle mods required. 

1F62BA01-FC51-48B6-BD76-5508DC0658A2.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

I think the 4 piston is what Thomas tried. Scroll way up and there’s a lot more details. It’s the 6 pistons he didn’t get to try

Correct-o-mundo!

the 4 piston GT500 brembo’s and S197 calipers fit. 

The 6 piston calipers i see no reason why they shouldnt, but I haven’t tested them. 

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

Correct-o-mundo!

the 4 piston GT500 brembo’s and S197 calipers fit. 

The 6 piston calipers i see no reason why they shouldnt, but I haven’t tested them. 

Not to be a pain in the ass, but above you indicate 05-09 GT500.  I assume these have the same mounting locations as the 13-14 GT500/Track Pack 4 piston calipers... would that be a good assumption?  If so, I will send my $100 forthwith.

31 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

Not to be a pain in the ass, but above you indicate 05-09 GT500.  I assume these have the same mounting locations as the 13-14 GT500/Track Pack 4 piston calipers... would that be a good assumption?  If so, I will send my $100 forthwith.

No worries man.   so i got my brembo’s from a S195 car and they fit my brackets fine (bc i designed them to. Lol) .  I used the same brackets for the S197 4 piston calipers and they fit fine minus two small issues.  The rotor was no longer centered and the radial clearance between the rotor edge and caliper was insufficient in one location, hence why there are two separate brackets.   

Im entirely confident that the S197 brembo’s will fit fine (hell, the ones i have may be Brembo’s, im not sure as i was sent them for testing purposes).  Picture attached of the S197 calipers. 

The S197 bracket is backwards compatible with the 05-09 Brembo’s with a 18” wheel.  The rotor centering was only off around .020-.030” and is less an issue on the 05-09’s due to the rotor opening in the caliper being slightly larger than the S197 calipers. 

All brackets use the S195 GT500 14” rotors. 

Thomas

4EAC0E2D-0E5A-4BDD-992F-C8C85CBE2633.jpeg

Edited by ThomasW

• Moderators

@ThomasW The 4 pistons you have pictured are S550 4 pistons.  The S197 Brembos are smaller, but I think use the same mount locations (guys swap in the S550 calipers to S197 all the time).  These are the S197 Brembo calipers I will be using:

2648C659-347C-49CE-93F5-6188A09EEA61.jpeg

I'm probably way overthinking it... just put me down for a set haha.

6 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

@ThomasW The 4 pistons you have pictured are S550 4 pistons.  The S197 Brembos are smaller, but I think use the same mount locations (guys swap in the S550 calipers to S197 all the time).  These are the S197 Brembo calipers I will be using:

2648C659-347C-49CE-93F5-6188A09EEA61.jpeg

I'm probably way overthinking it... just put me down for a set haha.

I keep getting these S197/195/550 stuff all confused.  To many blasted numbers, SN95 is way easier. Lol

well, both the painted brembo’s and the 2nd set of calipers interchange between brackets, so if the S550 calipers fit a S197, i think we’ll be good.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ThomasW said:

I keep getting these S197/195/550 stuff all confused.  To many blasted numbers, SN95 is way easier. Lol

well, both the painted brembo’s and the 2nd set of calipers interchange between brackets, so if the S550 calipers fit a S197, i think we’ll be good.  

haha, well there's no S195.  So that's one less number to remember!  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

Leave it to Chris to be a total pain in the arse!!!!! emoji1787.png

I've bought way too many parts for this pile of shit two and three times... I finally learned my lesson.

So i have some news.

My primary machinist has exhibited Very low interest in doing these in less than 5 set runs.  Since the machine shop is his side business, he would rather not spend his personal time away from family and his own projects for one or 2 sets at a time.

That said, i have been doing some personal debating on how to offer these things. 

Ive done some CAD structural calcs to determine that they will handle the braking loads, but nothing compares to real world use.    I would hate to sell these to you guys and have a structural issue where they may bend/crack and potentially harm one of you guya. 

So, that said.

For now I am going to put a Hold on offering these to anyone until i get some road miles on my own car and see how the entire setup works.   I have very low expectations of encountering any problems, but if i do, i would prefer that i find them first. 

Thomas

• Like 1