Tony

from 20's to 18's

i think after i've seen some beefy muscle looking wheels and tires on sn's and also after busting the sidewall of my tire i am starting to feel the need to go a different route with the wheels and tires. i want something aggressive looking and def wide out back. is there any 18x12's that sn owners run? that way i can get rid of these spacers. any ideas on wheels and tires?? thanx fellas :)

12" wide tire would necessitate 335 or 345 tires which, without modification will not fit. Go with 18x10 or 18x10.5 in the rear and put 315's on it, that's all you really need to fill the wheel well on a 94-98.

i have 10" wide wheels now and they sit in a little too much, i like them out or at least flush with the fenders. i really like this shit right hhere, anyone know what wheels these are? and this pic is what kinda setup i'm lookin for with the wide rears and beefy tire.

NewcobraCCW013.jpg

18x10 with a 295/35/18 will fill in the back end just right.

I'd say your vert needs something a little out of the normal choices for wheel style though.

yea absolutely needs to be something different. my main thing is fn wide and chrome free, lol! polished billet is sick! no fn chrome haha!

i have 10" wide wheels now and they sit in a little too much, i like them out or at least flush with the fenders. i really like this shit right hhere, anyone know what wheels these are? and this pic is what kinda setup i'm lookin for with the wide rears and beefy tire.

NewcobraCCW013.jpg

your problem is back spacing/offset not wheel width. The less backspace you have the more inward the face of the wheel sits. you need more backspaced wheels for the face to sit further out.

Edited by iRoush

NewcobraCCW013.jpg

these are soooo perfect in size and style!! cant find out what they are or the size but they look like 18x at least 11's no?

your problem is back spacing not wheel width. The less backspace you have the more inward the face of the wheel sits. you need more backspaced wheels for the face to sit further out.
aw i know dude. i may end up dissin the quad shocks if need be, or maybe trying to reverse mount them. but what about front tires roush. what size tire do you think would look right with 315's in the rear. say on a 18x9 wheel...

aw i know dude. i may end up dissin the quad shocks if need be, or maybe trying to reverse mount them. but what about front tires roush. what size tire do you think would look right with 315's in the rear. say on a 18x9 wheel...

the quad shocks really don't do anything, I'd ditch em personally. Most I've been able to stuff under the front of my old '98 was 275's. I had slight rubbing at full lock but I also had -2.5 degrees of camber and I think that's why they fit so well. For an 18x9 265 or 275 is preferred.

sometimes people have issues with 315s rubbing too depending on backspacing on the wheels.

you hate replica wheels so idk what to reccomend lol.

i have my fenders completely rolled now. i couldnt even move with these wheels on here without rolling the fenders. where else do guys rub with 315's?

the sidewalls would be the same thickness.

but as iroush already said, you want them to sit flush, so you want a wheel that has more backspacing.

you could have a 13 inch wide wheel, but with no backspacing it would still sit inside the fender.

so a 265/35 and a 315 what would be the same thickness. are you saying that the 265 and the 315 are relatively the same size sidewall no matter the middle #, which i dont really know what it measures, lol!

265/35/18 and 315/35/18 would that be the same sidewall for the most part?

On my 98 Cobra, I'm running 18x9/18x10 FR500's with 275/35ZR18's in the front and 285/35ZR18's in the rear. No issues with rubbing, I can go full lock to lock. As for the rear, I don't think the 285 looks very meaty on a 10" wheel. I don't see any clearance issues with running 315/30's, aside from the quad shocks, if your fender lips are already rolled, you should be golden.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the other folks, on the quad shocks. I've always removed them. I tend to have MORE wheel hop if I leave them on. I'm still running the original 1984 control arms in my Capri, and the first thing I did when I got the car was pull the quad shocks so I could stuff 275's under it.

talking about the yellow cobra in your sig? so you have no issues with the quads gone?

Yes sir, and no issues at all. It's my daily driver, and I get a little playful in the rain, so it's not like I baby the car. I bought it two weeks ago, today, and I've put 1000 miles on it since then.

yea i'll prolly end up ditching the quads myself. love 5.0 capri's btw. with those wide quarters i would have to stuff a wide of a tire & wheel as i could. i'd even go pretty wide in the front too. their like a beefy fox. cool car

yea i'll prolly end up ditching the quads myself. love 5.0 capri's btw. with those wide quarters i would have to stuff a wide of a tire & wheel as i could. i'd even go pretty wide in the front too. their like a beefy fox. cool car

Thanks, it's definitely a love/hate thing. A lot of folks don't like the compound window (bubble glass) in the 83-86 cars, but it's something that grows on you. I love mine, I couldn't think of getting rid of it. I have, but ..... I love the car a lot, and my wife would like to see me finish it, so she said it stays.

I have 335s with no modifications. Ditched the quad shock. Its just a matter of backspacing. See no mods 46c20c4f-eb53-929b.jpg

Nice! What BS wheels do you have?

The side wall size will be the same with a 265-35-18 and a 315-30-18. It may not be exact but its very close.

The middle number measures the sidewall size in height. On the 315-30-18, the 30 means its 30% of the width of the tire . a lot of people get the numbers mixed up thinking the middle number is the width.

265/35R18 = 25.30" overall tire height

315/30R18 = 25.44" overall tire height

Pretty simple, aside from converting mm to inches. But that's what the internet is for LOL. (width * sidewall percentage * 2) = X. Convert the result to inches, and then it's X + (wheel diameter) = overall tire height.

275/35R18 = 25.57" overall tire height

285/35R18 = 25.85" overall tire height

I was trying to stay close to what I had with the 275/40R17's being a 25.66" overall tire height.

And I agree, a lot of folks think that the middle number is a true width in mm's for the sidewall.

^thanks rob! i gotta rite that shit down, lol! i've googled a shit load of different 315's on 10" rims and i think i need an 11" wide rim. that would sit perfect. and the backspacing on the ccw wheels in the pic look just right. so all i gotta do is figure out the backspacing on the ccw's from that pic, and then a nice wheel that looks good but not as high as those fn ccw wheels, lol

I think the CCW's have 335's on them, not 315's. The smaller number after that is a percentage of the width as your sidewall height.

But, on the same token, one manufacturers 315 may not be as wide as another manufacturers 315.

Another thing is the tires on the red Cobra are BFG drag radials, which run wide by nature. They are physically wider than say a Nitto with the "same" size stamped on the side wall. Even though they shouldn't, some brands vary with width. For example the Cont Extreme Contacts I just put on the front are 255/35 and are wider than the Bridgestone 265/35 that were on there.

Edited by LilRoush

lol, holy shit you guys have some fn knowledge about some fn tires, lmao! even down to the tread patterns, lol! good shit. thanks for the tire clinic fellas i kow alot more in this little thread than i knew before.

the pic of the cobra is on svtperformance and is 18x11 ccw,s with 315 tires. the tires are bfg's you guys hit that on the head. and i am def wanting that size, style, and width. just been trying to figure out backspacing. cause i'm not feelin $6-$700 per wheel, lol!