WildWillyWalker

Let The Powder Coating Begin

No clue where to post this exactly. Me and my friend have wanted to powder coat for a while now and we finally got everything together and sprayed the first piece today. We were searching for a cheap gas stove on CL forever and finally came by one. Everything we read tells you to NEVER use a gas stove, but getting a large enough electrical outlet to the shed was not possible. A propane tank is hooked up outside the shed feeding a flexible line to the oven. We just tested a 4v coil cover today with the Eastwood Dual Voltage powder coater. Overall outcome! We need to prep better.... Some previous silver paint was missed so the powder didn't cover that spot. We sat it on the oven rack outside and then just carried the rack inside and set it in the oven. Another problem is that I missed the bottom edges. Next time the parts may get sanded and a paint prep may be used. We also plan to make a metal box. If anyone has some tips, I'm all ears.

Stripping some paint:

aefc43ee-9bac-0368.jpg

This didn't work so we set the box down and put the oven rack on top:

aefc43ee-9be1-3d37.jpg

Final product. It was rather rough, but I got the powder in the holes well but not in the edges since it was sitting on the rack

aefc43ee-9c18-36a3.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not too bad, I dont powdercoat but I can tell you a few things, first, it's all about prep! prep prep prep, the guys I go to use aircraft stripper to get a lot of the paint off and then sand blast to get the tough areas off, then completely wash the part before they hit it with their layers of powder

most critical thing, is making sure the parts are clean. Any area that isn't clean, the powder wont stick to. Also watch your oven temps, to hot and you can burn the powder, or turn it yellow... Other than that, it's pretty straight forward, you can also powder over other powder.

Prep Prep Prep is the number 1 thing with coating same as painting HVLP any sort of contamination before the powder is applied and baked on will pop through the coating.

428626_348963715134741_219403283_n.jpg

544889_418798768151235_862408128_n.jpg

These results will not happen overnight!! Took me a good solid 3 months of practice to get down the basics.

There is several tutorials out on the internet on the basic procedure of coating check out the powder365.com forums or caswellplating.com. I'm a self taught coater I read some outdated text books from the early 90's on the stuff when technology was extremely expensive but after getting the basic process down and the chemical compositions of the different types of powder and how they react to certain (substrates) metal/parts you will be golden. Never used the eastwood gun I started with a base model hypersmooth 02 with led board the key is to keep your layer of powder even across the part to have a good smooth finish. A good ground is also key you can construct a spray booth out of literally anything just be sure the ohm resistance on your ground is as close to zero as possible that will help in application of the powder. If you ever have any questions on coating feel free to email me at fabcoatpp@gmail.com or give me a call text on my cell 734 771 8598 I would be glad to help you out. Look on CL for a cheap sandblaster that will help so much as far as prep goes. Stay away from silica sand in your cabinet that will cause a side effect future disease of silicosis which is a nasty lung disorder. Also wear a mask when spraying the powder........... hope my random rambling helps somewhat??? lol

Prep Prep Prep is the number 1 thing with coating same as painting HVLP any sort of contamination before the powder is applied and baked on will pop through the coating.

544889_418798768151235_862408128_n.jpg

shane what kinda wheels are these???

Man tony you woulda loved this 70's camaro I saw this morning on the way to work in cincy!!

Satin black, 20x12's in the rear on 375's and 19x9's up front.. Fucking beautiful!! I almost pooped a hammer !! No

Looked like some foose shit!! Wheels tucked beautifully!!

Looks identical but in satin black!!

gytusaja.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Forcefedhatch

did a pair of brake rotor splash shields from WWW's cobra brake conversion kit. They turned out pretty good. we are still getting some "rough" spots. any powder coat pros have any insight? it was done using eastwood powder. we have been told that eastwoods powders are not the best so we just placed an order from columbia coatings! surface was 100% clean. oven was set at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. any help/ tips are appreciated!!

did a pair of brake rotor splash shields from WWW's cobra brake conversion kit. They turned out pretty good. we are still getting some "rough" spots. any powder coat pros have any insight? it was done using eastwood powder. we have been told that eastwoods powders are not the best so we just placed an order from columbia coatings! surface was 100% clean. oven was set at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. any help/ tips are appreciated!!

Shane get in here and help the man! Post pics of the "rough spots"

I use primarily eastwood best cost/quality imho. Every powder I've bought from them bakes at 400, and once the piece flows out, you set the timer for 20 min. I've only had a couple issues with "rough" spots and it was due to poor coverage. Maybe it has something to do with your temps. The only powder I've used that had a different temp was the clear, that bakes at 375 for 20 min after flowing out. If you set the temp to high on the clear it could yellow on you. Hope this helps.

We got a bunch of powder from Columbia Coatings. Josh powder coated some pulleys for a guy at work and they turned out really well. Totally smooth compared to the black we used.

utavegu3.jpg

quga8apu.jpg

gu6a2eqe.jpg

A little bit of the p/s pulley was missed so I sprayed over it again. The respray definitely isn't very smooth but everything is covered. I don't have a picture of the repsray.

9uqejega.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by WildWillyWalker

I decided to try out the Blue Frost Wrinkle we got from Columbia Coatings. I sprayed my differential cover because it won't really be seen so who cares what color it is. I freaking love this color though. It reminds me of the Shelby coil covers.

Before coating:

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

After coating:

2012-11-04_15-54-05_752.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

i don't even know what that part is for. but i feel like the parts i have been doing are coming out great. i don't have any blemishes or missed spots on this piece. nice and smooth. im excited. i would say we have 4-5 jobs lined up. its really coming around!

there are a few people in the area that do it. one of the BIG guys just lost the lease on his shop though. and a few of the other companies are commercial and alot more expensive that i charge. im thinking of charging 25-30 for that motorcycle part.