smallblocksn95

Explorer intake swap

I picked up an explorer intake for the girlfriends 94 today, and I know there's a couple thing different between this and the mustang GT40 intake ( vacume lines, a sensor or twos placement). Looking for a little more info on this swap, maybe how the vacume needs ran etc... Thanks

Not 100% but I did the swap on my 302 car but I deleted two of the ports under the upper intake. I don't think the mustang usses all the lines as the exploder did. Its a straight forward swap besides that. Id bolt the intake up and figure the little stuff out after.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

Yea, I try to delete most of them, but mustangs run a vacuum block so you might only need 1 line to the block... Been a while since I messed with any pushrod shit tho so I could be wrong :(

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

There is a year differentiation you need to look out for in an Explorer intake, and it doesn't match up to Mustang chronologically. In 94' Ford swapped the EGR delievery from internal to external on the Mustang, but they didn't do it on the Explorer until a later year, like 96' maybe. So for a 94' and up Mustang, it's better to get a 96' and up Explorer intake. For a 93' and older Mustang, you have to find a 95' and older Explorer intake,

Kurt

Lol, the intakes are 96-99. They went to the non-egr ones in the middle of 97 IIRC. Regardless it is blatantly easy to tell them apart from the egr hole. For a SN95 Mustang, it doesn't matter at all which one you get as you aren't running the EGR in the intake. Any Explorer lower will work. The fox guys will want the earlier ones yeah... if they are running EGR. As for the upper. Use the vac ports that match up with your stock intake and block the other ones. Run an elbow like you need to do with the aftermarket ones or just do the fox TB conversion while you are at it and clean up the engine bay/open up a whole world of throttle bodies and better airflow to boot. Not really noticeable NA but if you are blown the Fox TB conversion is well worth it.

Edited by scottydsntknow

Lol, the intakes are 96-99. They went to the non-egr ones in the middle of 97 IIRC. Regardless it is blatantly easy to tell them apart from the egr hole. For a SN95 Mustang, it doesn't matter at all which one you get as you aren't running the EGR in the intake. Any Explorer lower will work. The fox guys will want the earlier ones yeah... if they are running EGR. As for the upper. Use the vac ports that match up with your stock intake and block the other ones. Run an elbow like you need to do with the aftermarket ones or just do the fox TB conversion while you are at it and clean up the engine bay/open up a whole world of throttle bodies and better airflow to boot. Not really noticeable NA but if you are blown the Fox TB conversion is well worth it.

Well of i hadnt got my tb already id look into it. I might look into it this summer when i go turbo. I will also be running a gt40 intake until i get my setup...setup lol then ill go to a systemax or tfs track heat.

Warning: To much awesome