iRoush

The Shifter Opinion Thread

The purpose of this thread is to give those that are new to the mustang world or that want to try out a new Short Throw Shifter have an in depth write up on each shifter that's out there!

Please use the following format:

Brand & Name of Shifter:

Transmission:

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.):

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.):

Pro's:

Con's:

Image: (Optional)

Brand & Name of Shifter: Roush Short Throw Shifter (Steeda Tri-Ax)

Transmission: Tremec T45

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Roush Swept Back Handle

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Roush Black Shifter Ball

Pro's: I absolutely positively love this shifter, it's perfect for my reach, I'm tall so I sit further back and this puts the handle in a perfect length without increasing shift time. The combination of the roush (steeda shifter) and swept back handle makes for a very good feel, it's very notchy, and you'll know when you've hit a gear or not. I'd never go to another shifter after using this combination because it allows me to shift faster than any other combination I've used.

Con's: Kind of noisy, the notchiness forces you to be a bit more aggressive with the shifter to get it in gear, and the handle itself gets very very hot (the shifter ball does not though)

Image: 397247_10150455071582849_572652848_8496945_1311084947_n.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: MGW Blue Shifter

Transmission: Tremec T5

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Blue Handle

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): FRPP Leather 5-Speed Knob

Pro's: It was a great street shifter. It was nice and quiet for shifts, very very smooth, and comfortable to hold with the FRPP Leather shift knob. I personally would not recommend it for track usage, it's too smooth for me, but I like a notchy shifter.

Con's: As I stated before, it's a personal feeling, I hated how smooth it was for performance driving. I loved it for just nice smooth engagements when I was cruising but I could never get used to the smoothness at the track because I'm more about feel, and that's what this shifter lacks.

Image:DSC_0007.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: Pro 5.0

Transmission: Tremec 3550

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Pro 5.0

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Aftermarket.

Pro's: Excellent short throw

Con's: Have still missed third a few times at the track

Image: 011-8.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: MGW Short Throw

Transmission: T5

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): MGW Orange

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Black Cue Ball

Pro's: This shifter is smooth like butter, which is what I prefer, and has the perfect amount of throw. Having shift stops saves the transmissions life. Plus, that orange handle is just so bad to the bone.

Con's: Setting the shift stops can be a pain.

Image:

406946_2988982730135_1358213969_n.jpg

At the time of pic, I had a mach shift knob. Just as well, I have a shift knob addiction.

Transmission:T5

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Orange Handle

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Stupid white cue-ball

Pro's:Just about everything. It's quiet, precise, and very high quality material.

Con's: Maybe a bit too short for my tastes

Image: (Optional

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Transmission: Tremec I forget.

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Tri-Ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Number 13 Pool Ball Shift Knob

Pro's: It's fuckin awesome.

Con's: Jackass who installed it did a shitty job.

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Transmission: Tremec I forget.

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Tri-Ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Number 13 Pool Ball Shift Knob

Pro's: It's fuckin awesome.

Con's: Jackass who installed it did a shitty job.

+1 other than the shitty install.

Transmission: Old T5

Shift Handle Type: MGW Orange Handle

Shift Knob: OEM at the moment but hopefully picking up a Roush knob (Like iRoush's pictured above)

Pro's: Very high quality product, amazing customer service by MGW, smooth shifting (except first... explained below), always goes into gear

Con's: Most of my issues come from my T5 trans and it's age which causes the shifter to be hard to get into first and somewhat notchy. Also as previously stated setting the shift stops can be a PITA.

Image: Picture was during mock up installation (which can be found in my build thread)

IMAG0139.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda Tri-ax

Transmission: T3650

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Tri-ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.):OEM

Pro's: Can always find 3rd

Con's: Shift knob gets hot, i mean really hot. Also is notchy.

Image:

DSC_0023.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: MGW Short throw

Transmission: TKO-600

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): MGW Silver

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Roush and Hurst T-handle

Pro's: Smooth, Ultra adjustable. the shift lever doesnt Pop up on a roll pin unlike the Stock TKO. Hurst T-Handle Helps shift to give it a yank.

Con's: roush knob is fragile. it reminds me of a miniature pool bawl.

Image: img0040ny.th.jpg

img0281nw.th.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: Pro 5.0

Transmission: Tremec TR3550

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Steeda Tri-Ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): oem

Pro's: positive feel, easily adjusted stops, spring assisted 2-3 shift

Con's: provided shift handle is as useful as a screen door on a submarine..

Image:

100_0612.jpg

IMG00503.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: PRO 5.0

Transmission: Tremec T-45

Shift Handle Type: PRO 5.0

Shift Knob: 2.25" Custom Billard Ball #6

Pro's: Its a quality shifter, they have been around for a long long time and there are fairly priced.

you can pick up a used one for under $100 in most cases, i picked mine up for $60.

Con's: I have one in my own car and the assist spring for the 2-3 shift to push the handle over tward 3rd is weak and hardly moves the shifter as it should. Other then a weak spring here and there there almost unbreakable.

Image:post-74-13881836342933_thumb.jpg

Brand & Name of Shifter: B&M Hammershifter

Transmission: AODE

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Ratchet style shifter.

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.):B&M T-Handle w. Button to control the O/D on/off.

Pro's: Replaces the rubish auto shifter with a ratchet style shifter that is all metal and non of that plastic crap.

Con's: Hammerhandle is rubish and looks dumb, O/D is still controlled by an on/off switch on the shifters floor like on the OEM shifter,

Image: (Optional)

IMG_0053.jpg

Remarks:

The B&M Hammer shifter allows you to ratchet throug 1-2 and into 3 or D, 4 gear is controlled by the O/D on/off. It does not change the way the transmission works, the shift layout is the same as the OEM (P-R-N-D-2-1).

Recommendations:

Get a shift knob with a button like I did, and hook it up to the O/D wiring so you control O/D that way. This way you always have it by hand, and don't have to take your eyes off the road to locate the little O/D button on the shifters floor.

brand - Hurst

tranny - stock manual

handle - not stock, not sure.

knob - painted my own

I bought this used from a member on another site. The original shifter handle would make me hit my knuckles aginst the dash and that same person had a different handle he modified that didn't do that. The shifting itself is butter-smooth and my only complaint(short of the knuckles on the dash) is that sometimes it will pop out of gear if you down shift into 2nd and let off the clutch. Over all though really happy with the performance and feel, has stops to help things feel solid

post-61-13881836526489_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836524651_thumb.jpg

Brand: Pro5.0

Transmission: Borg Warner T-45

Shift HandleType: Steeda Tri-Ax

Shift Knob: FRPP leather

Pro's: very direct, steeda handle matches very well with it. I've never missed 3rd gear. "Snick Snick" noise during shifts for some reason is enjoyable to me.

Con's: centering spring is worn out, reverse is occasionally hard to locate. Pro5.0 handle blows, tri-ax is a huge improvement

im gonna do a quick versus of te Pro 5.0 and steeda tri ax for the T56 tranny on my cobra... i just swapped from a pro 5.0 to a steeda this weekend and i am soo happy that i did.

Brand & Name of Shifter: pro 5.0

Transmission: t 56

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): pro 5.0

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): roush black

Pro's: gear length relatively good/short, "racy" feel

Con's: alot.... the pro 5.0 is extremely SUPER notchy... and it contributes to A TON of gear rattle.... it was terrible. not to mention that the gears were still very ambiguous and 3rd was still difficult to engage quickly. overall 4 out of 10. ps its for sale lol

Image: BD4A8527-EF6C-4495-9093-A356420214F4-8817-0000091747D23A88_zps26a82f6b.jpg

Next is the steeda tri ax

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda tri ax

Transmission: t 56

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): steeda tri ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): roush black

Pro's: everything!!! completely eliminated my rattle/chatter.... ahifts so much smoother, not as notchy, and the gears are less ambiguous.... third is easy to find/engage.... im so happy with it 9 out of 10.

Con's: none so far... im really satisfied.

Image: 1329248D-D456-4F9D-87EF-F18AE38FBA06-8817-000009175992F893_zpsd5282aa6.jpg

I would really recommend someone to not waste their time going with the pro 5.0 (im trying to sell it but im trying to be honest as well). i personally didnt like it. it was too notchy, contributed to too much rattle/chatter, and enagaing gears was ambiguous. the steeda was the complete opposite.... smooth, quiet, perfect. no complaints. idk if this would be the same for another tranny but this was the case for the tremec t56

This shifter handle is a godsend for ppl like me who are the perfect size so as to not be able to reach the silly far forward SN95 shifter without putting the seat all the way up so my knees almost hit the dash and then if I notch the seatback too high my head brushes the roof. Some of this is probably due to my brand new seat cushions that don't settle down as much as the worn out 15+ yr old cushions I replaced them with but still... there is a reason Ford went with a shifter linkage in the 05-up cars...

Anyway here are some pics of it. They are both with the shifter in neutral and I can sit back with a good 3-4" of clearance from my knees to the dash with the seat leaned back (not "gangsta" leaned back but comfortable) and still nail all my shifts with my elbow on the armrest.

2013-05-02_17-09-58_347_zps4ccefcfc.jpg

2013-05-02_17-16-50_476_zps262dc776.jpg

Shifter handle itself is a nice billet piece and it really works well with the bullitt bezel and FRPP Cobra shifter knob I have. Installs with the stock boot just fine, no cutting the boot or anything like some ppl have claimed, just gotta get a little creative. I love it, this is by far the best comfort mod I've ever done to a Mustang. Yes, the shifts are longer but not as much as you'd think. Its about like shifting a stock shifter as far as throw but without the slop of the stock shifter (unless you have a stock shifter, I have a Tri-Ax). I HATED having to lean forward to get 3rd and 5th, now I can sit back and enjoy driving this thing.

Edited by scottydsntknow

Transmission: Stock T-45

Shift Handle Type: MGW Orange Handle

Shift Knob: Black and Silver Rally Series with Running Pony

Pro's: Very short and smooth. I hate the notchy feels on shifters

Con's: NO complaints from the shifter itself. Only from the gearbox.

Image: Coming soon.

Edited by Solar

Con's: Shift knob gets hot, i mean really hot. Also is notchy.

Image:

DSC_0023.jpg

Con's: Shift knob gets hot, very notchy, gets alot of chatter in 5th gear, reverse is sometimes hard to get into...

Brand & Name of Shifter: B&M precision shifter

Transmission: T5/ T45

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): integral

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): oem, aftermarket

Pro's: solid feel and throw, great height

Con's: slightly notchy

null_zps6f4ad0ac.jpg

Edited by smallblocksn95

GREAT thread idea...

Brand & Name of Shifter: Pro 5.0 Power Tower

Transmission: Stock TR3650

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Steeda Tri-Ax

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Drilled and tapped 8-ball

Pro's: Short throw length, added leverage with taller Tri-Ax handle, easier to reach Third and Fifth with Tri-Ax handle, 8-ball just the right size for a knob.

Con's: It doesn't find Third on its own and it's notchy. Take this with a grain of salt- the TR3650 is a much notchier trans than the T5/T45. Not as user-friendly.

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda Tri-Ax

Transmission: Faceplated TR3650

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Pro 5.0

Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Jegs Pistol Grip With button

Pro's: Great shifter. Hits 3rd gear every time. You can feel it engage the gear knowing it is in

Con's: On a faceplated Trans its easy to do a 3rd-R shift without a reverse lock out. Under repetitivehard shifting, the stock Tri-Ax handle will snap off. I went through 3 before going with a steel Pro 5.0 handle

Resampled_2012-07-04_20-07-07_91.jpg

Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): MGW Race Handle
Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Ford Racing 5-Speed
Pro's: Feels amazing. Has very short throws and positive engagement. Doesn't miss 3rd like the Steeda Tri-Ax it replaced.
Con's: Requires a somewhat noticeable amount of effort when moving to 1-2 and 5-R. It's very short and leans back. The height and angle isn't much of a problem for me it just looks a little strange with the current knob. (FYI the other optional handles are taller and aren't angled backward)

Brand & Name of Shifter: Steeda Tri-Ax
Transmission:  99 Cobra T-45
Shift Handle Type (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Steeda Tri-Ax Handle
Shift Knob (OEM, Aftermarket, etc.): Ford Racing Leather Wrapped
Pro's: Notchy feeling, very mechanical. 
Con's: sometimes almost too notchy for an everyday DD.  miss 3rd occasionally, might just need to adjust the stops or something, idk.
Image:

EFDB68AF-FEAE-47FD-9EC8-03B503567DC0_zps