WildWillyWalker

Smitty's Build (Paint, IRS swap, etc.)

i appreciate all the love. i go through stages of love and hate with this car. and im definitely in a low spot right now. all the kind words help keep me motivated. i got the rear rail welded in over the weekend and few more holes welded in the engine bay. will post some pics when im not working .

3uha4aby.jpgne7yqahu.jpghu2yjade.jpgquremyna.jpggot the middle connector in. Had a bit of a gap in the too that I had to bridge, evident in the BIG weld in the front. For the most part turned out good! Welded 3 sides, not sure hot to get the bottom.... Hope this helps @DetRiot

Sure hope so. I'm putting some heat into these welds so I don't think it's going anywhere. Still kind of surprised and disappointed at the thickness of the inner rocker. Also that outrigger will give me a great place to mount the roll cage to!

Not too bad!! When you get into a situation where you're welding heavier metals to lighter metals, try to focus your heat on the heavier metal and roll your puddle up into the lighter metal. You should be able to fill that hole up though by pulsing the trigger. :thumbsup:

Yeah I got the hole filled and sorted. I love to weld but I have to admit I lack practice and formal training. One of my biggest problems is my helmet. The batteries don't hold a charge and I lose the darkening effect halfway through a good weld and I screw it all up. If nothing else it might not be pretty but I know it's though!

What kind of helmet do you have? I could see that being a huge annoyance lol, might be time to invest in a new one! Before you know it you'll be laying down dime rolls!

[MENTION=21]Steve-Oh[/MENTION][MENTION=67]95riosnake[/MENTION] is there a way to take the past few welding posts and make them into a thread?
Its possible [MENTION=172]Sleeperstang1994[/MENTION] I can't do it on my phone though

Yea I'm in the same boat as Bryan, on my phone right now so I'll look into it when I'm home later :thumb:

Took some brackets out if the rear of the car. Just looked bad and covered with some old burnout rubber. Threw them in the new blast cabinet with some help from my kids and cleaned them up. Will powder coat them tomorrow. Toss up between flat black or gloss black.upa6a8uj.jpgagarudyb.jpg2emerybu.jpg

It's slot of work. I powder coated everything while it was apart and replaced every single bushing lol

Lol so what you're trying to say is you did it the right way

i guess you could say that. I have a feeling this "buil" will end up being a father son project. Grant it my son is only 5 right now. Having a family and a house takes up so much time and money this car just keeps getting pushed to the side. What started as a text from @WildWillyWalker "hey i found an IRS on CL for CHEAP" has turned in to my car litterally sitting as a shell with an IRS in it LOL. if nothing else the whole this is a learning experience and im learning not to be in a rush. good things come to those who wait... i hope

this dang car does not get enough love. I have done some work lately. ill try to get some Iphone pics uploaded this afternoon

Well here is a small update. Had pulled the dash do do the subframe connectors. All the sound deadening is off. Swapped an 01 cobra dash out of the project car Sean and I bought. Finally welded in the front leg of the drivers side frame rail. I'm going to use the TIG under the car to fuse the rails together. Also added some eastwoods thermo-coustic barrier to the fire wall since I won't be installing that huge stock mat again.y5yre3yv.jpgute4aba2.jpgy8yne6ej.jpgube4ehus.jpgy9ega9e2.jpg most of my time has been going to my Mazda lately I have a smoking turbo and decided to replace it with these3esa3y5e.jpg5uhytyze.jpg as soon as that's squared away I can put me little efforts back into my mustang.

Ssssoooooo biggest update in a long time. I don't have a fancy camera like some people so these are my best iphone pictars! Working on finishing up my drivers side TFSC.jubybe5u.jpggot the front cut openadehy8ed.jpg took the top off. Giggity. I use a hole saw to cut in and then my sawzall to open the rail up the rest of the way. a6yqasyn.jpg here is the protrusion on the drivers rail that everyone seems to have a problem with. This is from the outside.tudy4ega.jpgthis was my fix. I wanted to get my frame rail back as far as I could so I just cut it out.dumase7u.jpgthis is the piece cut outlier from the top view.y9uba5y7.jpg fairly certain my frame rail is bent. I'm

Using 2x3 tube and it slid in the passenger side with no problems. I could not get it even close on this side. Probably all the sitting on jackstands it does. SO I moved my jacks and cut a relief cut in the side of the factory frame rail.a5aqynyj.jpg with the cut the rail slid right in. e8yha5ud.jpg this shows how far back you can go with out that nub. baveneze.jpg how's my welding now @Steve-Oh ?! 7yqe5atu.jpg here you can see the rail in with the opening. Also you can see the relief cut I made. peva3ymu.jpg welded from the outside. juba4ezy.jpg welded the relief cut shut. Feel like I got good penetration into the connector also. Double positive! va7y2uny.jpg this shows the good penetration from

My welds on the inside. Burned the whole way through!rysa3yja.jpg made my middle connection and tacked it in. Just when your on a roll... You run out of welding gas on a Sunday afternoon. O well I'll finish it next summer...:)

This is a kick ass build!  Not sure how I missed this.  Your welds are looking really good IMO.  Especially the thick to thin on the front floor pans with the SFC.  That is hard to do.  What welder do you have?  I wouldn't be so sure the frame is bent though.  With mine it was also difficult to get the SFC to go very far back in the frame rail.  In fact I took a nearly identical chunk out the side of the frame rail to get the SFC past the divot.  Same thing happened with @Det_Riot IIRC.  I think they might have used a Porta-power to spread the rail a bit to get the SFC far back enough to tie into the LCA bolt.  Something about the rail tapering down the further back they went.

I knew the rails tapered. however I didn't think it was untll it got back to where the bolt for the subframe was attached at. either way my method of attack worked out just fine IMO. hopefully get the gas bottle filled this week and maybe get the out rigger cut and all welded up over the weekend. I have a lot of work for my business coming up so not sure where this will fall. most likely on the back burner again :(

This is a kick ass build! Not sure how I missed this. Your welds are looking really good IMO. Especially the thick to thin on the front floor pans with the SFC. That is hard to do. What welder do you have? I wouldn't be so sure the frame is bent though. With mine it was also difficult to get the SFC to go very far back in the frame rail. In fact I took a nearly identical chunk out the side of the frame rail to get the SFC past the divot. Same thing happened with @Det_Riot IIRC. I think they might have used a Porta-power to spread the rail a bit to get the SFC far back enough to tie into the LCA bolt. Something about the rail tapering down the further back they went.

He's got it spot on.your frame rail isn't bent. They're just a fucked up shape. The op is the perfect width for a 2x5 and the bottom necks down to where it isn't wide enough. So all we did was blow out the bottom of the frame rail, pry it open with a portapower and shove the 2x5 up in there.

This is the best picture I have of what we did at the moment.

ryzuju9y.jpg

OK  so you ran yours more "under" the car than I did. most of my rails will be in peoples feet way :P

Welds are looking great @Sleeperstang1994 !!  As sublime pointed out, it's tough to weld thick metal to thin metal and it looks like you nailed it lol! 

this was all honestly from your advice. you've helped me out a lot for sure! I think ive gotten significantly better over the last 6-8 months. Now if I could just get the TIG down right. @WildWillyWalker and I will be putting MM subframe connectors on his Saleen here shortly. I was TOLD im doing the welding :D  Im for it. Expect to see some pictures in his thread... hopefully before it starts snowing :huh:

DANG that is a big piece of metal lol. I figure while im under the car im going to strip all the factory paint and sealer and redo that. Wasn't some one talking about snow balls? that's this car as well. Sean and I were brain storming the dash bar and strut tower bars at lunch. that should be a go... eventually

Mostly worked on my wife's explorer today. Rebuilding the 8.8 in that. Like most things it went south. Pulled the cover to find this.ubyry5a4.jpg

Awesome! New gears are ordered for Monday. On the plus side she is going to be sporting my shocker yellow diff cover!zysu3aqa.jpg this will be mostly hidden once the suspension is on the ground LoL. As for the mustang. Talked with Sean on how we are going to do the @SublimeRT dash brace and strut tower reinforcements. Think we have that figured out. I have 2 extra dash frames to use and mock up. As for actual work! Got my last out rigger welded in! 9ytemype.jpgaje9amaz.jpg and that's all.

Worked on my @SublimeRT canister delete today! Not 100% happy with it. Not perfectly smooth. Sean tells me it's in the fender so don't worry to much. Need to weld the inside yet. I love pictures so here goes!

ymu3avej.jpg4a6ave7a.jpgahyga6ub.jpgthis shows you the inside. There is 1, 5.5MM bolt holding your PCM bracket on. This is the bolt you see from the outside.ubu2ese3.jpgytagy5yq.jpgy9u6adev.jpgura5amyv.jpgjepe8ypy.jpgesejejyq.jpgy2e5y6ag.jpg For the most part I think it's good. Might see about welding the inside of the car yet. That's all for today. 2 updates in 2 days!