MMR

What is the difference between a Bleed Valve and a Boost controller?

They go about it in different ways. The bleed valve is just an adjustable leak in the airline to the wastegate. This still limits your boost but the wastegate response isnt as good creating more lag. The controller doesnt bleed pressure off until you reach your set boost limit. This gives you better response but could cause mild spikes depending on the quality of the boost controller.

Misspelled while on the crapper via my Droid Razr

From my understanding a bleed valve basically tricks the waste gate. By bleeding off some of the air it convinces the wastegate that the car is making less boost than it actually is. By doing this the wastegate will stay closed longer and the car will make more boost.

Its basically a half ass trick to play on the wastegate and I wouldnt recommend it.

Electronic Boost controllers can do a lot. You can control how early or late the waste gate opens as well as control the boost with a turn of a knob and even boost by gear with some of them.

It helps a lot with how a turbo hits/ lag.

With just a spring setup in the wastegate you might see it start to open at 2 psi, open more at 4 psi, more at 6 psi, and eventually you hit your target boost around 10 psi but the ramp up is really slow.

With an EBC you can set the gate to stay fully closed until about 9 PSI so the boost literally just flies up to your target.

Even just a simple manual boost controller would be better than the bleed valve crap.

From my understanding a bleed valve basically tricks the waste gate. By bleeding off some of the air it convinces the wastegate that the car is making less boost than it actually is. By doing this the wastegate will stay closed longer and the car will make more boost.

Its basically a half ass trick to play on the wastegate and I wouldnt recommend it.

Electronic Boost controllers can do a lot. You can control how early or late the waste gate opens as well as control the boost with a turn of a knob and even boost by gear with some of them.

It helps a lot with how a turbo hits/ lag.

With just a spring setup in the wastegate you might see it start to open at 2 psi, open more at 4 psi, more at 6 psi, and eventually you hit your target boost around 10 psi but the ramp up is really slow.

With an EBC you can set the gate to stay fully closed until about 9 PSI so the boost literally just flies up to your target.

Even just a simple manual boost controller would be better than the bleed valve crap.

So to my understanding; a bleed valve acts like a hole in the tube that goes from the turbo to the wastegate to make the wastegate stay open longer. Were as a boost controller actually controls the wastegate?

So to my understanding; a bleed valve acts like a hole in the tube that goes from the turbo to the wastegate to make the wastegate stay open longer. Were as a boost controller actually controls the wastegate?

A bleed valve tricks the waste gate so that it sees less boost which keeps it closed to make more boost basically...in reality It wouldnt help the ramp up rate, just would make more overall boost. It lets air escape from the boost/vacuum line running to the wastegate.

An EBC has a solenoid which runs in between the vacuum/boost line from the turbo to the gate...it just is able to manipulate the air flow going to the wastegate in which ever way you please.

A cheap manual boost controller worked perfectly fine for me for years with my old Eagle Talon. Bleed valves are useless and coat you hp and torque across the board

A cheap manual boost controller worked perfectly fine for me for years with my old Eagle Talon. Bleed valves are useless and coat you hp and torque across the board

Yep, a cheap manual boost controller will work fine and usually has the ability to keep the waste gate closed until it actually needs to be opened.

Bleed valves are lame.

I used a 3 dollar fuel shut off valve on my car it acts like a bleed valve works great , Hahahahahaha

Or u can just pull the vacuum line off the wastegate . That's kinda ghetto tho . Lmfao

I figured since the question was already answered I would just tell Yall what I used .. lol