joekd

4.6 2v OEM valve cover redo

Spent some time in my workshop today smoothing my spare set of valve covers (taking off all the ridges) for anyone not familiar with 4.6 they are plastic/composite covers, not metal

I did the major work removing stuff using my oscillating multi tool with metal blades then started sanding using 60 grit flap wheel on my angle grinder and now starting the fine work with my detail sander, only did the 60 grit so far, starting to look pretty decent but long way to go before I am happy with them and ready to spray some paint.

No pics yet because even with my exhaust fan on my workshop was a big cloud of plastic dust, hardly the place to use a camera and I had so much dust on myself I went straight to the shower. Even wearing a mask I still ended up with a ton of dust in my nasal passages too.

This is how the OEM covers look

covers57.jpg

Edited by joekd

dude i really wanna see this when ya get ready for pics, lol. i like the idea of shaving the ridges off. nice flat smooth v/c's will look sick! any idea of color yet?

No pics but here is an update. Did a lot more sandig this AM, washed them good and sprayed the first layer of primer. I just know tomorrow will be another round of fun sanding after the primer is dry and I can see all the little areas that still need to be done.

Pics from this AM, putty done, sanded again, sprayed primer, didn't even wait for it to dry before taking pics. Should only need another light sanding once dry then one more coat of primer and ready for color!

covers847.jpg

covers846.jpg

covers845.jpg

Looks good, if the puddy has issues under temp, you can use a plastic repair kid, same properties as pussy but accept heat better, and bond well to plastic and polymer compounds

quoted for truth! same properties as pussy, but accepts head better....must be phenomenal!

can we see a pic of the engine bay with covers on?
Nope, I never installed them. Found a couple things I was not happy with, set them to the side and have simply not gotten back to them since.