V8POWA!

PC vs MAC

Which do you like and why???

post-23-1388183595878_thumb.jpg

I have a PC desktop and work with PC's all day at work. I had a iphone 3s, but now have a galaxy. I have a few ipods still, and a hp touchpad tablet. I'm possibly looking to get a macbook pro for my laptop, just getting opinions....

I was bred into PC. My Dad was an IBM Salesman from the 60's until the 90's and then IBM helped him form his own company. So yeah, IBM/PC was the standard in my family.

As the years went by, I built my own machines, played games, did databases, shot and edited videos, recorded music, etc. all on a PC.

Now I have a 27" iMac and this thing just destroys every computer I have ever had. Stunning visuals, amazing processing capabilities for photos, videos, music. Interface is put together so much better than a standard Windows install. I can go on and on. I converted back in December '11 and will not return to PC with the exception of 1 laptop that has my old software (none of which i have used yet), and the 1 thing I need to do portable.. TUNE MY CAR. That is still PC. Only price hit was on software but you can do 90% of what you need with FREE software on a Mac, and all of the little day to day bullshit utilities on PC I never need to buy now it's either built into the system or a free-$5 app.

People cite cost, and always state top of the line Mac prices while comparing to an eMachine. Compared to something like Alienware or any other "high end brand" Macs are right in the pocket of fair pricing. And when the new OSX comes out later this month it'll be $19.99 not $179.99 like Windows 8 (which I beta tested and is a total piece of shit).. So it's really how you look at things and what your personal/business perspective it.

Edited by Steve

Mac...performance doesn't slow down, doesn't get viruses and you don't have to have a subscription to norton, pop up blocker and all the other bs that goes along with PCs. I'll also second that Mac is the best for photography/graphics.

People cite cost, and always state top of the line Mac prices while comparing to an eMachine. Compared to something like Alienware or any other "high end brand" Macs are right in the pocket of fair pricing.

You cant compare a high end mac to an alienware either considering that those are priced high just b/c of the name, just like digital storm. Building a PC is the best bang for the buck. Building a $1,500 PC will far exceed what you get with a $1,500 alienware.

You cant compare a high end mac to an alienware either considering that those are priced high just b/c of the name, just like digital storm. Building a PC is the best bang for the buck. Building a $1,500 PC will far exceed what you get with a $1,500 alienware.

Building a PC is an option only for certain people and not really part of the equation. 99.9% of computer users do not know or care to know how to put thermal paste on a CPU, or how to configure a BIOS, etc.

Compare it to an HP, Sony, or anything else you can get at the same place aka BestBuy or the Mall.

I always liked this one lol

403288_10150518355412851_765022850_8867455_838223488_n.jpg

Why is Linux on the PC side, Suse and Fedora have more in common with a Mac than they do with a PC as they are both running on similar structures.

Why is Linux on the PC side, Suse and Fedora have more in common with a Mac than they do with a PC as they are both running on similar structures.

:dunno: lol ... I just thought it was funny.

This entire argument is funny seeing as a Mac is still a "PC". They use "PC" in referring to Windows because saying "Hi I'm a Windows" makes no sense. But yes Mac OS is a Unix-based OS. Anyways.

Hi, I'm a PC

Hi, I'm a Mac

Hi, I'm a Penguin

:)

I use/used them all. Work/Home I use Windows & Linux. Used to have a Macbook Pro but sold it. Only reason I miss it was for the built in software but I can have it all on my Windows workstation so it's not missing much.

Had iPhones but got rid of them which if Sprint doesn't get a better WP7 device I'll probably go back to iPhone because Android is pissing me off but that's another thread.

• The cost thing is kind of stupid because you can build *yes I know a small percentage of people but that percentage is growing daily since technology is apart of peoples lives at a younger age in this society* a Windows box that will be on par or beat a Mac for the same price.

• Yes you don't have to worry about viruses and such on a Mac because for the longest time they did not hold the larger percentage of end users so coders did not code viruses for them. Crackers were more concerned with causing the most damage they could. That's not to say that Macs are impervious to attacks.

• If you say "white computers are for girls" apparently you don't keep up with them much.... they've been aluminum for quite some time now....

• There are Web Hosting Centers running Apple Servers so they aren't just at the coffee shops but comparing the usage yes, they are.

That's all I'll say for now. I'm sure more convo will come up and I'll chime in. I don't know much about these computer machines, I'll try to keep up. :D

This entire argument is funny seeing as a Mac is still a "PC". They use "PC" in referring to Windows because saying "Hi I'm a Windows" makes no sense.
Oh I know but as you said, Hi am a Window is a retarded. lol

oh and fyi, for those that don't know you can build a "Apple" machine you just need to know what parts to buy ;)

Oh I know but as you said, Hi am a Window is a retarded. lol

oh and fyi, for those that don't know you can build a "Apple" machine you just need to know what parts to buy ;)

Duh they have a customization screen before you checkout!!!! ;)

Duh they have a customization screen before you checkout!!!! ;)
all macs are essentially Laptops, I'm talking about a full blown desktop like woah lol

Not true at all.... Uhhh Mac Pro? Just because their sales are higher in laptops over their desktops doesn't mean that's their main concern.

They have always been an all in one computer. I don't even care about their PCs. I care about their phnes.

Not true at all.... Uhhh Mac Pro?
I have only seen those in school and offices, they are way to expensive for the normal person. The All in Ones are just giant laptops made to operate as a "desktop"

I have only seen those in school and offices, they are way to expensive for the normal person. The All in Ones are just giant laptops made to operate as a "desktop"

That's true ha. They are expensive. Back in the day I used to go build them to see how expensive I could make it. I could have easily bought a fully loaded GT for the price they wanted hahahaha. Retarded.

I knew this was one of those things....lol

some good points were brought up though, so thanks. I would be getting the 13 inch macbook pro, I build my PC but its getting kinda old now

I personally love building. I have so many more options but nowadays I can't spend so much money on them.

Building a PC is an option only for certain people and not really part of the equation. 99.9% of computer users do not know or care to know how to put thermal paste on a CPU, or how to configure a BIOS, etc.

Compare it to an HP, Sony, or anything else you can get at the same place aka BestBuy or the Mall.

meh, I didnt know how to either until I watched a few video's and then realized it was not that hard. Configuring the bio's can be intimidating if your computer dumb but I think the avg person could still walk their way through it with some help of some online resources. I know I will never "buy" a PC again. New Egg and self build FTW. I had never stripped my engine down to the block either to do a head swap until I tried it for the first time and it all worked out well since it started up on the first turn of the key. I do know taking out the screen on a mac book is one hell of a process.....wonder if they could have added more screws...wtf

Edited by Venom351R

meh, I didnt know how to either until I watched a few video's and then realized it was not that hard. Configuring the bio's can be intimidating if your computer dumb but I think the avg person could still walk their way through it with some help of some online resources. I know I will never "buy" a PC again. New Egg and self build FTW. I had never stripped my engine down to the block either to do a head swap until I tried it for the first time and it all worked out well since it started up on the first turn of the key. I do know taking out the screen on a mac book is one hell of a process.....wonder if they could have added more screws...wtf

I took my iPhone 4 apart once to change out the screen so I could only imagine how many they used on the laptop screen lol!

its like 17 or 18 or some ridiculous number like that just to get to the screen to get it out. I did a few of them in class to trouble shoot what was wrong with them so they had to be taken apart.

I would agree that its a lot more common today for people to understand computers. Most people who don't are the older generations. I've seen kids today do things that when I was their age I didn't even know existed.

PC for sure. You can do great things with them. They are a llittle more user friendly I find. I was raised on PC and for now I'll stick with them.

You guys don't need to pay for Norton... It's not that good. AVG free is a very very good service that has never failed me on questionable sites... The local county government center runs it on all their machines.

Last month I actually built my first machine. It was a fantastic experience and I'm getting some pretty nice performance for the money I spent.

56e76277.jpg

3917a2d7.jpg

I run three pieces of software that I have found I never have ANY issues with:

AVG Internet Suite (bought, free works though)

Malwarebytes (Full paid version, free works though)

CCleaner (Free)

There are ways to ensure you're "PC" doesn't have issues.

I think the bottom line really is if you enjoy taking them apart and the whole "hobbyist" part of computing, Windows/PC/whatever you want to call it is obviously the way to go. There is more crap and accessories you can buy for the PC side than one could ever even imagine. Add in things like water-cooling, the whole retarded "case mod" craze, etc. and you can spend as much on a computer as you would a roller project car.

I've been down that road, worked in the field for years, and honestly hated it all. For me simplicity is king. I install a program I drag 1 icon over, walk away for minute to grab a drink and it's installed. If it's on the app store no dragging, just 1 click and install. No cd or dvds to horse around with, etc. I'm not interested in installing utilities, widgets, or screen overlays and all the other "user interface" things people do with PCs. I don't give a crap what temp my CPU is and I certainly don't want to see it on the screen. I've never had an error screen, needed to reboot, or had to re-open or close out a crashed program or app. My Mac just doesn't break, ever. And for me that's worth 2k for a big clean computer that takes up no floor space and only has 1 wire to operate (plus 1 more for the printer).

Gaming? That's why I bought an Xbox. I play CounterStrike:Source on computer and that's really it. When I got the Mac I installed Steam and CS:S works flawlessly at a ridicules resolution on a 27" monitor. Can't complain. Looks better on here than any PC i've ever seen.

My HP laptop is still needed for the occasional client that gives me access to their Exchange Server. That's a business thing and nothing you can do about it. I could run bootcamp or whatever but don't want to bother installing Windows on the Mac that defeats the purpose to me.

For my personal life, less is more.

Brian, got any specs on that rig? Looks nice. I wish I could fit a CPU cooler that large in my case. Not that I even remotely need it but still.

Case: Silverstone FT02B-W

Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Motherboard: ASUS P5E X38 LGA775

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler with Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Fans in Push/Pull configuration

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066

Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Hard Drive: WD RE2 500GB 7200RPM SATA

Monitor: HP 2509 1080p LCD

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Mouse Pad: steelseries 63003SS QCK+

Edited by Brian

brian is it overclocked at all?? i just figure with a cooler like that you may have pushed the speed up a little.

Oddly enough no, I never got around to overclocking it. I've heard that the Q6600 does very well with overclocking & it runs pretty fast as it is. I would like to add a SSD & more RAM to this workstation.

My next build I'm going to do when I get my home built is going to be a lot more badass / insane. Plan to make this current machine for "testing" purposes.

Not that anyone cares but this is mine:

Case: Apevia Q-Pack II black anodized aluminumPSU: 500W Apevia

Motherboard: Asus F1A55-M LX plus. FM1

CPU: AMD A6 3670k black edition APU @ 3.4Ghz. Stock cooler

RAM: 8GB PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6530D (APU)

Storage: 90GB Kingston Hyper X SATA III SSD boot drive. 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA II

Optical: HP DVD burner

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

It's fairly quick and does everything I need it to do. I ran Prime95 for 16 hours and never exceeded 55C APU temps with zero errors.

Cost me less than $500 to put the whole thing together.

Yeah I use the program "CoreTemp" and my idles from 25-30 and doesn't go above 45 with load. Haven't ran Prime95 in years though. Wonder what it would do.

Edited by Brian

I use core temp as well. It works. You idle that high? Mine idles around 15-18C

And the 55C was of course with the APU at 100% load.

I see no reason to run Prime95 often. I just was curious about the stability of the contraption I pieced together.

It varies depending on the temp of my room of course. Right now with my room temp at 78 degree it is idling at 30c. This is a huge increase over what it used to run in my old case so I'm happy with it although I wouldn't be against getting it to go lower. I need to clean the screens for my fans so that will probably help it drop some more.

Edited by Brian