Det_Riot

Steering Shafts

Aside from terminator, maximum motorsports, or flaming river, are there any oem (bullitt? mach one?) steering shafts that would be an upgrade from the crappy knuckle jointed gt style??

I believe they're all the same. I was researching them a couple years back and thought the same thing, a upgrade for less $$ but every one I found fit all v6 on up the models.

I still plan on getting the Flaming River one I just gotta sell some crap I've been collecting first.

damn =\ dude locally was selling a bullitt shaft for 30 bucks, i thought it was gonna be a super cheap upgrade! Does anyone know about 99 or 01 cobras?

damn =\ dude locally was selling a bullitt shaft for 30 bucks, i thought it was gonna be a super cheap upgrade! Does anyone know about 99 or 01 cobras?

I know that Flaming River sells the same shaft for those years/model combo.

I like my Borgeson solid steering shaft but its pricey. Worth every penny spent though.

Never heard of Flaming River but then again I never looked into upgrading one until it was presented to me.

flaming river makes a lot of parts for muscle cars and street rods if i remember right.................someone correct me if im wrong. i do believe they have been around a long time

Correct. My dad bought a steering box from them for his rat rod... it's a really good piece. Nice and tight.

I'm not doubting them, just saying I've never heard of them nor used their products. I do have a Borgeson solid steering shaft in my Cobra and it was night & day difference

I helped a friend install their keyless ignition system and while it was expensive (a grand or so) holy crap was it a gorgeous piece of hardware. I think a lot of people don't know them because the Steering Shaft / Rack is really the only thing I think they make for our year mustangs.

03-04 Cobra steering shaft is barely better than stock. I would not even bother getting one. Solid is really the way to go for precision steering input.

Have you heard of people doing DIY kits replacing the rag joints? Is this any sort of an advantageous "upgrade "

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I assume all the 94-04 steering shafts (and other years but I don't care about them) have "rag joints" which is what I was saying Bryan. I would definitely upgrade to a solid steering shaft. Expensive yes but a night/day difference in steering.

Have you heard of people doing DIY kits replacing the rag joints? Is this any sort of an advantageous "upgrade "

I would imagine that it's not as easy as replacing the rag going with a piece of aluminum, or just welding the two together. There is a reason why aftermarket pieces have two u-joints on there, and that's because if you make that shaft solid with one u-joint, it will bind. Rubber bushing in between allows for some flexibility, so you don't need two joints on a stock shaft.

No issues here. I didn't install mine but I kept in constant update with the shop that did mine and they said it went in without any issues.

Since install it hasn't given any issues either.

Mine clears just fine Onyx. It came down to the flaming river or the Maximum Motorsport one for me. Both are great but I got the Maximum Motorsport one just b/c I knew their shipping was quick. I needed one b/c my stock shaft would not clear the long tubes, it was either that or beat in one of the primary tubes which I was not to keen on. It was an unexpected expensive expense but it all works now. I can turn the wheel from lock to lock and there are no clearance issues.

anyone run into any issues with solid steering shafts hitting their LT headers? I don't need more problems lol

According to the shop that put my exhaust on back in the day I had issues with header / steering shaft clearance. They said it was caused by crushed motor mounts. Regardless they put a "dent" in my headers for clearance and replaced the mounts.

Sent from Space

According to the shop that put my exhaust on back in the day I had issues with header / steering shaft clearance. They said it was caused by crushed motor mounts. Regardless they put a "dent" in my headers for clearance and replaced the mounts.

You should have had them buy you new headers because unless they get permission for you they can't do something like that. That's damaging your setup because of their stupidity