auto_x5.0

Front bumper cooling holes?

LilROUSH, I understand your a racer or whatever, but I honestly think your wing is rice, is other cars can get it done with a duck-tail style, why do you have a park bench spoiler on your trunk? You do know what you're talking about, and I see that. But you guys are taking shots at something "different" so you immediately consider it ricer.

So slamming a car with 20s on it and a body kit isn't ricer? But adding a couple holes because I think it looks good is?(Not a shot at Tony just using him for a reference)

It's fine, I will take care of it else where. Thanks for those who helped.

1) First off let's define RICE. Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. That means doing something to look like a race car, even though you aren't.

2) Comparing my wing to a 'duck tail': A little racer 101 for you. A 'duck tail' is a type of spoiler (S281 or T1 are examples). They do something very different than a wing. A spoiler will disrupt the air flow coming off the top of the car, creating a low pressure area just above the rear bumper. It also uses the air pressure hitting it for down force. They are not adjustable, and you are at the mercy of the conditions as to whether or not they are doing the most they can for performance. A wing (elevated plane) is used to smooth air coming off the top of the car while providing downforce. A race wing is adjustable, so you can fine tune it as needed at the track. A wing must be properly match to the aero on the nose of the car to work. With the way the Roush splitter flows in combination with the hidden flat panal under the chin to direct air flow, a spoiler wouldn't do anything positive for my car on the track. To offset the front aero, the adjustable single plane wing with small winglets on the tips was the best fit. Fun fact: My car had a Saleen spoiler on it when I bought it. I took it off and ran wingless for awhile, then went with the Steeda race wing and finally the full on adjustable wing.

I don't run that wing on the street, because I don't want nor need to look fast.

3) Tony's car is not rice, and is a terrible example. Tony has always pursued a specific look for his car. To this day I have never heard him claim it was fast, a race car or (to my knowledge) even put it on a track. It's a show car/cruiser/fun street car. And it pulls that off 100%.

If you are adding holes because holes look good, then go for it. Put them in the bumper, the roof and the doors for all I care. The flak is because the holes you are trying to copy are meant for race cars, and you are trying to look like a race car when it's not one - which is rice.

I'm a firm believer in doing what you want to your car. Just make sure you fully understand what/why you are doing it. If I didn't do stuff b/c people told me not to, I never would have modded a V6 with a Terminator blower.

Edited by LilRoush
Spelling

So one question, where does the narrowing of my front bumper on the Nova 2 inches on each side fit onto the scheme of things. It just looked dumb with the 5 MPH bumpers that stuck way out? LOL

Just kidding, it really did look stupid and looks a lot better with the narrowed front bumper.

matt

WHat if the holes were specifically going to an intercooler?

It honestly (as Brett said) won't make a (in our opinion) worth while difference cutting the holes. It will hinder the aerodynamics and not help cooling. Which the OP isn't doing this for function but for form aka looks.

Which (per LilRoush's post) is exactly what "R.I.C.E" stands for.

But we support members doing things to their car that they want. They are just pointing out things so the OP makes an informed decision.

I fully agree with Brett and LilRoush. Matt's wing is a purpose part.

It honestly (as Brett said) won't make a (in our opinion) worth while difference cutting the holes. It will hinder the aerodynamics and not help cooling. Which the OP isn't doing this for function but for form aka looks.

But we support members doing things to their car that they want. They are just pointing out things so the OP makes an informed decision.

I fully agree with Brett and LilRoush. Matt's wing is a purpose part.

With this being said^^

OP: Can you using photoshop or paintshop somehow show your vision with these "cooling holes" as you call them?

With all respect; I am curious to see what you have in mind with this. :)

You don't freaking need holes in your bumper. I ran 3 20min. sessions at a track day today with my stock cooling system running WOT at all times possible and never had a cooling issue. Original waterpump and thermostat with 150k+ miles on them.

Cutting holes in the bumper just to make it look better??? HAHAHAHAHAHAH>. Just sell the stang and by a FUCKING HONDA!!!!!!!

m5lp_0804_01_zSN95_mustang_AIX_race_carfront_view_zps3ad0d3bf.jpg

This is basically what gave me the idea, I don't really like the car, but it's something purpose built and for some reason I believe that they know what they are doing. For those who don't know, this is Agent 47's AIX car, I would assume they have a reason for those "cooling holes".

If somebody wants to PS them go for it. I have a spare bumper that will get holes cut into them. Either my trans cooler will be right there or my intercooler will be up there. Will it help? Maybe, if it doesn't then who cares? Everybody here is assuming it won't do anything. Has anybody here done it before? No, and multiple race cars have them, so there has to be a reason. But it's all good, doing something different or "R.I.C.E." because I find them aesthetically pleasing, and they may do something for me cooling wise is the reason I'm trying it.

m5lp_0804_01_zSN95_mustang_AIX_race_carfront_view_zps3ad0d3bf.jpg

This is basically what gave me the idea, I don't really like the car, but it's something purpose built and for some reason I believe that they know what they are doing. For those who don't know, this is Agent 47's AIX car, I would assume they have a reason for those "cooling holes".

If somebody wants to PS them go for it. I have a spare bumper that will get holes cut into them. Either my trans cooler will be right there or my intercooler will be up there. Will it help? Maybe, if it doesn't then who cares? Everybody here is assuming it won't do anything. Has anybody here done it before? No, and multiple race cars have them, so there has to be a reason. But it's all good, doing something different or "R.I.C.E." because I find them aesthetically pleasing, and they may do something for me cooling wise is the reason I'm trying it.

Most have ducting taking them to the brakes or inside the cabin. They are not just holes in a bumper.

Ok, so who's to say I won't find a use for them? Because I asked to see pictures of sn95 Mustangs with holes cut into the fucking bumper, and I said that if they didn't do anything like I expected them to I would leave them there because I like the look, that instantly creates a R.I.C.E.? Who's to say I won't track the car, or I won't route them to my brakes, or run them as a true ram-air style into the turbo. But shit, everybody here shoots down anything that is different or seems unnecessary in some people's eyes.

Shit, for all you guys know it could be some badass open track monster I'm building that I was wanting input on. Nobody asked what the car was, nobody asked what my set-up was, or what my goal for the car is. Almost everybody shot down the idea, and went straight to rice. It's all good, I see where the assholes from ********** went.

Before you get a bent outta shape about how everyone is jumping on your bones about the idea, you said yourself, form over function. Will be barely worth more than aesthetics

My reason is form over function, my cooling will have no issues at all. I like the "Racecar" look, the car is black with satin black accents, the holes will be barely worth anything more than aesthetics. Much like the sidescoops on a 94-95 sn95.

Ok, so who's to say I won't find a use for them? Because I asked to see pictures of sn95 Mustangs with holes cut into the fucking bumper, and I said that if they didn't do anything like I expected them to I would leave them there because I like the look, that instantly creates a R.I.C.E.? Who's to say I won't track the car, or I won't route them to my brakes, or run them as a true ram-air style into the turbo. But shit, everybody here shoots down anything that is different or seems unnecessary in some people's eyes.

Shit, for all you guys know it could be some badass open track monster I'm building that I was wanting input on. Nobody asked what the car was, nobody asked what my set-up was, or what my goal for the car is. Almost everybody shot down the idea, and went straight to rice. It's all good, I see where the assholes from ********** went.

That whole "shoot down what is different" is of Mustang owners. Ever notice that all Mustangs look the same? My suggestion is goign to other car forums and see what they like. If you look for opinion on something different, I have learned to not ask a mustang owner. I only ask on actual technical stuff.

Yeah, it it ends up serving no purpose other than form over function then sure, I will keep them. But I haven't seen any mustangs on here with them in their bumpers, but I see alot of other cars with them. I auto-x regularly and I see cars with holes in their bumpers, but I've never seen a Mustang. Yeah I'm bent out of shape, this is supposed to be a "family" of mustang owners here, there are very few cars that look different on a level other than factory bumpers and some wheels. Holy shit, lets not get to close the the edge of the box, let alone think outside of it. But I guess I should've expected it, I've honestly met very few people that think of Mustang owners as anything other than guys that drive slow "muscle" cars. I've always had mustangs, and I want to try to get them where they don't all look the same. I will do it on my own, so we can lock this bitch up. I will keep my opposing opinions, and questions to myself.

That whole "shoot down what is different" is of Mustang owners. Ever notice that all Mustangs look the same? My suggestion is goign to other car forums and see what they like. If you look for opinion on something different, I have learned to not ask a mustang owner. I only ask on actual technical stuff.

There's nothing wrong with doing something different. It is just mods that have no "function" so to speak, are not percived well in the mustang or muscle car community in general, they are considered more a JDM thing. Actually they are more of a sub-cultural JDM thing.

Don't take personally auto_x5.0 :)

Like said before; It is your car man, do what you want ;) ..just don't expect much support from here or any mustang or Muscle car forum (Again; nothing personal against you). :)

Thread locked per request of op. If you're gonna do it then do it. You knew people wouldn't perceive it well but its your car so do it to it. Prove everyone else wrong that it can look good.