F8L GT

Let's see those undersides

I think I have posted these somewhere on here before, but I'll play:

photo4jxs.jpg

irs2.jpg

img0704xh.jpg

we have a "thank for this post" and a "like this post", i need a "i hate this guy post"

Thanks guys :bananen_smilies046:

I sprayed the whole undercarriage "Ford Battleship Gray" and as far as the tank cover, it's the 3rd time I've sanded it down and painted it so it's finally smooth, lol. The plastic they use for them is crap, it gets fuzzy when you sand it. Almost ordered a Glenn's smooth cover to paint gloss black but the shipping cost was something obscene so I said F it and laid down paint job #3 on the stocker, lol.

i can't wait to get a house with a garage. this is one of those projects that i really want to do but can't devote enough time to it when the car is an hour drive away. hopefully next winter will be a big cleaning/painting year.

I didn't have a lift... just a desire to make it happen lol. I got it up on jack stands as high as possible, removed the rearend, driveshaft, exhaust, and gas tank. Then I degreased the crap out of it a couple times, hosed it off and wiped it down, then let it dry out a bit over night. The next day I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder to it for a few hours, followed by an infinite amount of hand sanding to prep the surface (wore a face mask and respirator for the grinding and just a respirator for the sanding). Next step was a ton of masking, including the entire top of the car, then a coat of epoxy primer applied via spray gun, followed by the Ford Battleship Gray on top of that. The fun part for me is always pulling back the masking, probably my favorite part of any paint project, it's a great feeling.

Btw, this wasn't meant as a slap to you SniveTroll, just wanted the guys in here to know that if you don't have access to a lift, it can still be done on jack stands. I'm not saying it's fun... in fact it was quite miserable, your arms and shoulders will ache like crazy and you'll have debris in every nook and cranny of your body....that said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sure you don't see the bottom of your car often, but whenever you're working under it, it's so nice to have everything clean and nicely painted. Not to mention stopping the progression of any rust going on down there :thumb:

I didn't have a lift... just a desire to make it happen lol. I got it up on jack stands as high as possible, removed the rearend, driveshaft, exhaust, and gas tank. Then I degreased the crap out of it a couple times, hosed it off and wiped it down, then let it dry out a bit over night. The next day I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder to it for a few hours, followed by an infinite amount of hand sanding to prep the surface (wore a face mask and respirator for the grinding and just a respirator for the sanding). Next step was a ton of masking, including the entire top of the car, then a coat of epoxy primer applied via spray gun, followed by the Ford Battleship Gray on top of that. The fun part for me is always pulling back the masking, probably my favorite part of any paint project, it's a great feeling.

Btw, this wasn't meant as a slap to you SniveTroll, just wanted the guys in here to know that if you don't have access to a lift, it can still be done on jack stands. I'm not saying it's fun... in fact it was quite miserable, your arms and shoulders will ache like crazy and you'll have debris in every nook and cranny of your body....that said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sure you don't see the bottom of your car often, but whenever you're working under it, it's so nice to have everything clean and nicely painted. Not to mention stopping the progression of any rust going on down there :thumb:

Motivation boys and girls....don't be little bitches!

Did you use spray cans or a gun with a compressor?

Motivation boys and girls....don't be little bitches!

Did you use spray cans or a gun with a compressor?

Used a spray gun/compressor my dad lent me for the epoxy primer, then cans for the gray top coat. That epoxy primer is great for preventing rust, my dad has used it on heavy equipment for years and years. The cans were much easier to maneuver in the space I had to work with under the car, and the gray top coat was mostly aesthetic since the primer was the important step for rust prevention. Took about 4 cans of gray top coat to lay down 2 good coats on everything.

• Moderators

This is exactly how I did my 66 GT, except that we used the Eastwood anti-rust product and undercoated the whole thing. I don't currently have the luxury of the space to blow the 95 apart to clean it like that. Maybe at the next house!