Ford Motorsports

V6 Pony to Cobra Powered Project (lots of pics) (lots of read)

That's crazy you got the motor to go in from the bottom, it looks like its wayyyyy to close to fit. Glad too see that the headers fit, can't imagine how much of a. Pain it'd be if you had to fan up your own!

Yeah, it is a very tight fit. To get them to fit I am going to modify the steering shaft to make it clear.

On these 5.4s, the LTs are worth an EASY 35rwhp. Holy shit man, you are doing a way better job than what I could have done.

I hope they give me 35hp. I want the 400!

So I got a very little bit done tonight after work.

I was monkeying with the steering shaft to get clearance, but then had an idea. I am going to off set the bearing that goes through the firewall, to get the extra clearance. Here is the template I made, going to cut it out tomorrow.

image_zps5d11d262.jpg

Started off with a bent BBK x-pipe the car was in a wreck, so I got it for free

image_zpseb9d934c.jpg

Shorty now

image_zps2e4889fc.jpg

How far the pipes are off from the cutting and extra width of the 5.4

image_zps4c12acaf.jpg

Cut a relief in the pipe

image_zpsa4d52948.jpg

The patch for the hole

image_zps305c17df.jpg

Welded in

image_zps4425068e.jpg

More updates to come tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a little bit done today. Made me a carrier for my steering shaft. I got to find a different bearing the stock one is too thin to tack to. However did get the clearance I needed for the steering shaft!

image_zpsd8bed5d9.jpg

Clearance FTW

image_zps0ef88b3e.jpg

Mmmm I can still weld!

image_zps8a8cf601.jpg

Dropped her onto the wheels and found that it sat to high. I cut another half coil for a total of 1 coil cut off a Pro Kit

image_zps7c298d28.jpg

That is my installment for the day. Next time is finishing the exhaust, moving the battery to the trunk, and starting to run the harnesses!

This is such an awesome project! Great job and I look forward to seeing the final product and numbers.

I can't wait either. Got the wiring harness done, tank installed, tried to fire her over, but it flooded and the high compression killed the battery. I will be diagnosing it on Saturday.

Here it is minus accesories and cooling

image_zpsd3eb33b2.jpg

So, the beast lives, but only for a short time. Someone decided that it would be a bright idea to put a different oil pan on the block, because he didn't want to plug the oil return that was drilled into the 5.4.

After talking with Ortiz for a while on the phone, exchanging texts, and videos, he diagnosed my problem. He said you didn't change the pan and put a 4.6 pan on it did you, my reply was Um, didn't know they were different. Hopefully there was no damage to the crank as it was trying to make its home in the oil pan. Tomorrow it is off with the k member and oil pan and installing the 5.4 pan. Luckily it only has about 45 seconds of run time, so I am sure all will be good tomorrow, just a huge PITA!!

Hell yeah victory. Got the baffle situation figured out this morning. Didn't pull the k member, just used a little bit of redneck engineering to remove the baffle in question. Got her all bolted back up and fired her off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah sounds like she is going to be a beast.

Check out the video

http://youtu.be/6jOsZ-Hv-wQ

I got lots accomplished today, to only take a step back. I had a leaky valve cover gasket, so I put a new one on and added some fresh RTV. Then I fixed the coolant leak so I thought, which was under the adapter plate, so I had to take the intake back off. Next adventure with it, is using a navigator lower intake gasket to hopefully fix the leak. Added my manual temperature gauge, put driveshaft back together and installed, installed the clutch cable and adjusted, then started bleeding the brakes. OH, and also got the power hooked up in my shop after 2 years, only got two outlets so far, but will add more soon.

One more day on the car and she will be driving under her own power for the first time in 2 years.

Oh and here is a video

Edited by Ford Motorsports

I got lots accomplished today, to only take a step back. I had a leaky valve cover gasket, so I put a new one on and added some fresh RTV. Then I fixed the coolant leak so I thought, which was under the adapter plate, so I had to take the intake back off. Next adventure with it, is using a navigator lower intake gasket to hopefully fix the leak. Added my manual temperature gauge, put driveshaft back together and installed, installed the clutch cable and adjusted, then started bleeding the brakes. OH, and also got the power hooked up in my shop after 2 years, only got two outlets so far, but will add more soon.

One more day on the car and she will be driving under her own power for the first time in 2 years.

Oh and here is a video

Lol, I had the same thing after my cam swap, lucky, the gasket just came out of the oring groove in the cover

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I have been busy in my shop buying and flipping cars. I have been slowly making progress on my car too much but here is the update

Bought a 2000 gt, engine was swapped and I painted my first car, 2 tone atlantic blue and black on top

image_zps56c1d9b3.jpg

Car finished

image_zpsdf1440c1.jpg

Side by side

image_zps1b4f54e1.jpg

Sold it and bought a trailblazer, new tranny and sold it. Decided to stick to mustangs

Bought 03 gt blown engine and body damage. I can't find a before pic

image_zpsb5a258be.jpg

Sold 03 gt, bought 1999 gt engine and paint needed seats etc

Before pic

image_zps4e883356.jpg

After

image_zps793b732d.jpg

Traded it for a polaris 4wheeler and then traded the wheeler for a boat. So last car went from a 3500 investment to a boat worth 22k. Got the boat for sale now

Purchased a set of 01 cobra seats a couple weeks ago and I am in the process of swapping my interior from grey to charcoal. My car has most Cobra options now with the edition of seats and airbag, just decided it looked better having all matching cobra stuff

image_zpsc2284eef.jpg

image_zps4b992920.jpg

Over last week I pulled the grinding 3650 out and installed a new one. Also bought a new set of front tires, awaiting my new et streets to come in next week. Started diagnosing why my a/c doesn't work and found my compessor is seized up. Going to hit the track when it opens in February!

Waiting on tires

image_zps84a177ba.jpg

Fedex arrived!

image_zps59525f0a.jpg

Wow!

image_zps8f861a5b.jpg

Same size 305/35/18 nitto vs et street II

image_zpsbe050461.jpg

Car will again get traction on the skreet! Launched at 2700 and it dead hooked without heating them FTW

You'll love those tires! They're pretty impressive at the tracks as well. Going to make your old nittos look like all seasons

awesome will be studying and following your build. doing a 4.6 first but already have the built 5.4 gt engine with gt heads and some custom cams. most the builds push me towards a pushrod, you inspire me to stay on track

It is a lot of fun to drive. I have been busy with life lately and done a couple of things to it. I swapped the interior to all charcoal about 6 months ago and had the front bumper repainted.

Then got a wild hair to start purchasing new trucks. Bought a Tundra back in April of last year, then decided it was not enough pulling power and bought a 15 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. The15 Cummins ended up being a lemon and Ram bought it back. So now I have a 16 Hills Green Ram, then got on the Cummins forums and now it is modded and costing me lots of money. Lol

Here's the truck with the stang hiding in the background

image_zpsx8lfogmq.jpeg