Brian

Mini Starters for 5.0

Hey yall,

When I had my exhaust installed the shop said to look into switching to a mini starter to give more clearance to the exhaust and also it would help with the starter failing due to overheating. It doesn't hit the exhaust but it is closer than I would like. I've been looking around but unfortunately there isn't a ton of information on starters that online stores offer so I don't know which to get. Also going to also pick up a heat shield just to added protection.

Please give your input & any information you can provide relating to starters and what I should be looking for & also what to avoid.

What I am currently looking at:

Powermaster Mini Starter & Heat Shield

I almost bought one when I did my long tubes until I discovered that we already have mini starters. The aftermarket ones are the same size. I would as well just grab the heat shield and call it good. Thats probably all I will end up doing.

This is the starter I have. In the "description" part of the page it kind of explains where "mini-starter" is applicable.

http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47

Did you happen to compare them when you swapped? Did the new one look smaller? Also was there an increase in power in the new one you went to?

Did you happen to compare them when you swapped? Did the new one look smaller? Also was there an increase in power in the new one you went to?

I knew this would be asked lol but no I don't remember. I changed it out a few years back. I can mock it up and take a picture if you'd like but I don't have the old starter. In fact let me put it this way; my original starter definitely cleared my BBK long tubes. Whether or not the failure of the original one was caused by the long tubes is not certain.

Sent from Space

I was working on a boat motor this week that had an offset starter like you mentioned. It was a GM (Vortec V6) but still, we had to use it to clear the bellhousing for the drive.

I'm interested in the shield though, I might get it. my wrong tubes hug the starter pretty well.

I tried the heat shield, it's hopeless. You need a Denso gear reduction starter. I put one of these in about 11 years ago. You pull the car up onto a rollback with this thing. I mean it practically brings the car up to idle when you turn the key. It's standard equipment on some Corvette's, Chryslers, and a few other Japanese cars. The price at Advance is a little high, but I'm putting the link so you at least know what it looks like.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_mastertorque-starter--infi-clock&153;-small-block-ford-3-4-depth-powermaster_19220312-p?searchTerm=performance+starter

Kurt

The PowerMaster part number is PM9603. But honestly, they don't make it. They are just rebranding a Denso part. I think I paid $189 for it 11 years ago from an electric shop. The original Denso number is 228000-8432. I went and found one for sale. This guy has a bizzilion sales with 100% positive feedback, so that's as good as it gets. I found the ad flyer in .pdf, and it's a 1.8Kw starter. I think the stock one is like a 1.1Kw or something like that. I also have BBK headers and it fits fine. And hey, it's gone down a dollar since I bought 11 years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-FORD-SB-SUPER-TORQUE-DENSO-STYLE-/330762230510?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D160744214765%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D672690367226024114&_qi=RTM1062690

Kurt

Some things are hit or miss, but this purchase I'm absolutely sure you are going to be pleased. You can also contact the seller to ensure that that starter will fit with your flywheel etc. It advertises that it has protection against heat soaking, but I honestly don't think it's any more heat resistant than the stock one. It's just so grossly overpowered that a little heat soak doesn't matter. You're going to be blown away the first time you hit the key, this thing could start a jet engine.

Kurt