Blackmage

My Little Pony Garage - BLKMAGE

Smooth that intake!!  Haha, we're all gonna jump on board with the idea now.  Gauges and everything else look sweet.  And ughh 10 degrees; I'm still in disbelief.  It was 40 in the shop here today and I thought that was chilly, haha. 

@95opal and @Steve-Oh jump on this, smooth it out, get it over to me and ill install it. lol

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1054010-96-98-cobra-upper-intake

Will if I had an extra 30+ hours on my hands I would gladly help you out but I just don't have the free time needed to smooth it. If I were in your shoes Id pick that upper up and do it on the side. You can use your current intake while you work on smoothing that one. This way you wont have any down time and you can swap it over in a minute. A grinder will make quick work of the ribs then its all about elbow grease from there.

im against the smoothing of the intake. I think it would just make your engine look like it had a bad black head or pimple. maybe paint it red so it will stand out...

Once its been smoothed it can be polished .. dosent have to stay black

I'm just doing a cop swap, I'm just doing a cop swap, I'm just doing a cop swap...

Ok and maybe fixing up some dumb stuff I did when I was younger

efba8f527232960d224b41a82be09713.jpg

e3ddbc270473567ef5b94ef86e1a3563.jpg

1bfb7af6c7b63c954e1d6f2f6ab9d453.jpg

f789414c727d3486b9b26719fec0d9e5.jpg

1da5794a9ed1b35801b992e3825dc660.jpg

Sent from my iPhablet

Well that looks...... funnn.

Seriously though, fixing and cleaning up wiring sucks, but it is always worth it.

Will you be leaving the inner fenders where the battery and stuff was nice and uncluttered now?

Well that looks...... funnn.

Seriously though, fixing and cleaning up wiring sucks, but it is always worth it.

Will you be leaving the inner fenders where the battery and stuff was nice and uncluttered now?

That's the plan! The fuse box will be going under the fender, inside the wheel well. And I've already started moving the battery to the trunk. I'm not sure what I want to do with the engine harness yet, but I'm thinking it might just stay as is for right now.

Sent from my iPhablet

Awesome. Gotta love a cleaned up bay with a 4V. Really brings the focus to the engine and those big ole heads. I think it'll be fine leaving the engine harness as is too. They really aren't too noticeable to me if they're wrapped up and routed well.

Awesome. Gotta love a cleaned up bay with a 4V. Really brings the focus to the engine and those big ole heads. I think it'll be fine leaving the engine harness as is too. They really aren't too noticeable to me if they're wrapped up and routed well.

Yea it should look nicer than what it has!  Just need to get some new wire loom now.

So the weekend is almost over... Where's the update![/quote

Man o man always bustin my balls! I was down at our cabin ice fishing this weekend so didn't get anything done. I did get the valve covers ran through our parts washer, and sanded down all the imperfections. So they're just about ready for paint and then they can go on.

4890f2f14283496f8f03ad6999e8b8fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhablet

man moving the battery makes a HUUUUGEE difference lol. i am going to do this asap. looks good Willy Will 

Thanks darlin! Yea it did, and the fuse box too.  I still need to clean that up and maybe get some fresh paint on a couple spots. 

Thanks darlin! Yea it did, and the fuse box too.  I still need to clean that up and maybe get some fresh paint on a couple spots. 

yea good thing about black is you can make it look really good with a rattle can lol. no one would know. 

Ooh I like it!

I think everything else would have to be really clean and chrome for me to like it.  looks too clean for a stockish engine compartment.  but i came across the picture and had to share it with you guys!

How did you go about routing the alternator cable to the fuse box?  Looks great, man!

Its actually not ran right now, but it will be ran under the intake to the back of the motor, then across the firewall into the fender where the fuse box will be.  Plenty of room under there, thats where the coolant sensor lines and cam sensor lines are ran. 

Got some work done over the past couple days. Coming together quick now.

Getting the VC's ready for paint

c0bb8808955c60a1363d578b02f3d026.jpg

e989bf091386227a8a9f62cded736fb4.jpg

b9724e67fc4ec45dff05ae57d17096b9.jpg

48bb955acbf35762ffd0dcf43f247a7a.jpg

Then time to get the gaskets on and the vc installed

10c22b8d7d9211e31a19c13049662ef3.jpg

292170ad8debbefe2d040febfff960d7.jpg

c366f063759e837c6b4061fbfa9a5ed3.jpg

01260964a46d9df399f5f7303231fd89.jpg

044c49f87a53f7cc1d841619c7e280f5.jpg

Before i installed the covers I picked up some new bolts for the cop covers, and after putting it all back together, I noticed the rest of the bolts on the intake are all the same thread, so I think I may separate them all out with these now

881f5bbb07621f36f4902ce63709c3b8.jpg

One final thing, I need to figure out how to route these vacuum lines now. The tube coming off the backside of the intake tube needs to attach to the valve cover grommet right up front, and then the front hole on the intake tube needs to run across to the drivers side of the intake manifold... Stuff is kinda close together, so how the hell do I do this without using breathers :-/

07badeccc070593de70d7323586f3715.jpg

Found a picture of the old 2v before I pulled it too haha so ugly now!

0b83d34e7e34b37e41730e5330d4f79c.jpg

Sent from my iPhablet

Looking real good man. I'm not sure what to do about the lines off the intake short of using a different one. Could you use a stock one off a C-head car? Or maybe just aftermarket. Maybe someone will chime in with some other ideas.

the cars with c heads have a slightly different throttle body set up so that intake pipe wont work. would it help to cut the nipple down on the intake to give your self some extra room? maybe a trip to the plumbing section at your local hardware store is in order :)

looks awesome BTW I feel like this is all my fault ;)

What a difference those COPs make!

Big time! im loving the look! 

Looking real good man. I'm not sure what to do about the lines off the intake short of using a different one. Could you use a stock one off a C-head car? Or maybe just aftermarket. Maybe someone will chime in with some other ideas.

Thanks!  yea im not 100% on what im going to do yet. I did some searching and most people went with breathers on both covers, not my style..   I did see someone just use a 90 elbow out of the grommet and ran a long hose to the back of the intake and with everything tightened up the cross tube seemed to fit just fine.   hmm, not the picture i was looking for, but you get the idea here:
IMG00014-20090718-1144.jpg

The c head intakes are a touch different too, the throttle body comes off the motor at a 90* angle, where the 96-98's come off at like a 45*. So they dont match up very well :-/ 

in my searches this morning also, i did find a complete C&L cold air intake for $90 shipped on corral, so Im going to pick that up and see how it does.   I also need to get an oil catch can for the drivers side.

the cars with c heads have a slightly different throttle body set up so that intake pipe wont work. would it help to cut the nipple down on the intake to give your self some extra room? maybe a trip to the plumbing section at your local hardware store is in order  :)

looks awesome BTW I feel like this is all my fault  ;)

yea this is what the 99/01 cobra looks like, CLOSE! but not close enough. 

01svtcobraengine1.jpg

C&L intake hopefully might save me some headaches, or may cause more, who knws!

and it is all your fault, if you wouldnt have said anthing about COPs i would NEVER have started any of this lol

Thank god for copy and paste, i would have lost this post!  Always save your work before submitting children! haha