95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

one of the cleanest cardboard templates i think i've ever seen lol.

i dont know if i'd put words on it. maybe just another cut in the middle shaped like the ridetech bag symbol. the word ridetech looks ok though.

Dude's got em box cutter skillz.
lmao...no shit. my cardboard template skills look like a 3rd grader did the shit.
Knowing Dan he probably used a diamond/titanium/carbide razor blade or some craziness.
dan has everything! sumbish :smiley_sad: :thumbsdown::tsk::mmph:

Haha I have technology on my side in the form of an $85,000 Kongsberg XL-44 CNC cutting machine, we refer to it as the "box cutter" at work, it didn't occur to me when I said that you guys would think I have jedi knife skills lol. Here's what the machine looks like, ours at work is a bigger model than the one in the pic, it can cut sheet material up to 5' x 10', it's badass. It can cut anything you dream up in Autocad ;)

Kongsberg.jpg

Edited by 95riosnake

Yea when I read box cutter I was like oh here we go card board templates with a Olfa knife .... I knew you had access to CNC machines but damn dude that's bad ass

That's bad ass. I have two friends who repair Cnc tables for work. That stuffs cool as hell.

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely makes it easy to test out what I drew in autocad and make sure it actually fits before I have someone water jet it out of 1/4" aluminum, trying to only pay for that once lol.

It definitely makes it easy to test out what I drew in autocad and make sure it actually fits before I have someone water jet it out of 1/4" aluminum, trying to only pay for that once lol.

Yea , I hear ya on that one , I've made plenty of cardboard templates when fabbing stuff ... Can't wait to see the end result of the trunk

That's bad ass. I have two friends who repair Cnc tables for work. That stuffs cool as hell.

Yea they make stuff like this SOOOO much easier. We also have 2 Epilog laser cutters and a CNC plasma. The plasma works ok, the problem is multiple people use it and not everyone takes care of it so it doesn't make the nicest cuts. You end up having to clean up a LOT of slag and since it's currently out of adjustment anything over 0.0625 thickness has a draft angle to the edges which is annoying because you have to grind it back to square, and you also have to draw your parts oversized to account for material loss when cleaning up the edges...ugh

At some point you are just cheating. But really I am just jealous. :)

Haha thanks man, the feeling is mutual... I've drooled over your build for years :thumb:

Yea they make stuff like this SOOOO much easier. We also have 2 Epilog laser cutters and a CNC plasma. The plasma works ok, the problem is multiple people use it and not everyone takes care of it so it doesn't make the nicest cuts. You end up having to clean up a LOT of slag and since it's currently out of adjustment anything over 0.0625 thickness has a draft angle to the edges which is annoying because you have to grind it back to square, and you also have to draw your parts oversized to account for material loss when cleaning up the edges...ugh

Haha thanks man, the feeling is mutual... I've drooled over your build for years :thumb:

Yeah, pretty neat how hyper things can be accurate to the fifth decimal. It's tough to think about being that accurate but as soon as you are and can get parts made to that tolerance, you never go back lol

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan, absolutely speechless man. I find myself looking at my monitor turning my head sideways looking at some of the parts you're creating. I do a lot of this stuff myself as well and it's still insane the things you come up with, and the patience you have. My friends make fun of me constantly with how OCD I am, but it's nothing compared to this project. Well done, sir. I am truly jealous.

BTW we have a Kongsberg XE-10 at my work, its a pretty badass piece! I work at a packaging design consultancy so we live on that thing an our Fanuc Robodrill!

Hmm, should I save for a house or a CNC machine.... CNC!!!

All that technology helps your genius come to life. Looking good.

Haha and honestly $85k is way less expensive than a house! You could build a little studio apartment underneath it ;)

Dan, absolutely speechless man. I find myself looking at my monitor turning my head sideways looking at some of the parts you're creating. I do a lot of this stuff myself as well and it's still insane the things you come up with, and the patience you have. My friends make fun of me constantly with how OCD I am, but it's nothing compared to this project. Well done, sir. I am truly jealous.

BTW we have a Kongsberg XE-10 at my work, its a pretty badass piece! I work at a packaging design consultancy so we live on that thing an our Fanuc Robodrill!

Thanks Mike, as I'm sure you know since you work in the design industry, once you get used to designing and making things for a living, when you need something for your car you get to the point where you look at just about anything on the market and feel the need to either change it or make your own that is exactly what you want. All my friends poke fun at me also, saying I'll never get this car back on the road but I can't help it. Once I get deep into a project, I'll be working on something and I'll notice something out of the corner of my eye that I don't like, or that could be improved. Then before I know it I'm sketching up an idea and making more stuff. It's a slippery slope lol.

Haha and honestly $85k is way less expensive than a house! You could build a little studio apartment underneath it ;)

Thanks Mike, as I'm sure you know since you work in the design industry, once you get used to designing and making things for a living, when you need something for your car you get to the point where you look at just about anything on the market and feel the need to either change it or make your own that is exactly what you want. All my friends poke fun at me also, saying I'll never get this car back on the road but I can't help it. Once I get deep into a project, I'll be working on something and I'll notice something out of the corner of my eye that I don't like, or that could be improved. Then before I know it I'm sketching up an idea and making more stuff. It's a slippery slope lol.

Couldn't agree more. The project always snowballs, and there is always something to re-do...its just the designers mindset. I just bought a house and I have been working on that a lot, but I'm hoping to get a few Sunday Funday's in the garage myself during the winter so I can tackle a few projects of my own I've been trying to get to. Painting walls and framing closets isn't exactly what I had in mind, lol. It's the same thing though, I was going to install shelving in the linen closet, but the hot water pipes for the heating were exposed. So instead of saying fuck it, its just a closet, I knocked down the walls, framed them in front of the pipes, new drywall, spackle, sanding, trim, etc etc etc...now I'm a month in and $300 more than I wanted to spend lol. It NEVER ENDS!

Edited by stprorolla49

Changed some things about the bracket based on what I found when mocking it up last night, a couple things were off, I wanted to locate the compressors a bit lower to the floor, etc. The first has a large area for a logo if I can come up with one, the second would stay blank, and the third has the truss design continuing all the way across. The triangles on both sides represent the compressor mount brackets. I'm gonna cut another mock up this afternoon and test fit again :thumb:

s5my.jpg

love the 3rd one! kinda wanna see the 2 compressors mocked up with the template like the 3rd one. seems like it would look sick with those brackets and compressors on each side. can ya stick the compressors back in when you try the cardboard template again?

love the 3rd one! kinda wanna see the 2 compressors mocked up with the template like the 3rd one. seems like it would look sick with those brackets and compressors on each side. can ya stick the compressors back in when you try the cardboard template again?

Yea that's the plan, since I have all the mounting holes in the right spots now I can put together a nice mock up picture to get a visual. I'm going to cut the 3rd one because same as you and Ryan, I like it the most currently. I think it's gonna look badass!

Just curious, is this something that will be seen in the end? I figured that like most cars the trunk would be made with covers to give it a finished look and just wasn't sure what your aim was for the finished look?

Not looking to cover it all up, otherwise I wouldn't be spending all this time making cool looking brackets and heim joint frames. I'm going more for showcasing the components in a clean way, all wiring sleeved and plumbing neatly routed. The components that make up vehicles are what appeals to me, I prefer to see as much of the cool stuff as possible and only hide the cluttered/uninteresting things.

Here is what I've been playing around with for the compressor mount plate. I currently like the last one the most...still coming up with more ideas before I settle on something though. I decided rather than using our CNC plasma at work I'm going to have a local shop water jet it for me. Our plasma will make a mess of the Ridetech lettering.

ci1o.jpg

Since the first one is shown twice I assume the third one everyone likes is also second from the bottom. I like that one best as well. Personally, I think the ridetech logo is neat. I guess it depends how much you like them lol. It may answer a lot of "What brand air suspension are you running?" questions.

Since the first one is shown twice I assume the third one everyone likes is also second from the bottom. I like that one best as well. Personally, I think the ridetech logo is neat. I guess it depends how much you like them lol. It may answer a lot of "What brand air suspension are you running?" questions.

The second one is actually a little different than the first one, I added "legs" to the letters where the material would fall out of the middle but thought it changed the look of the ridetech font in a negative way.

I'm not opposed to the idea of the ridetech logo, but it would definitely be cool to come up with my own. Still in the brainstorming phase on that lol.

I know i'm a little late to the party but as far as those flex pipe exhaust parts go I think they'd work nicely for you if you decide you need them to reduce vibration. Every FWD car I've seen uses those pipes where the header or downpipe would meet the rest of the exhaust because of how the engine torques forwards and back. I'd think a RWD car would put even less stress on them.

nothing looks sicker then displaying the mechanics, doing a killer job of that!!

now do plexiglass wheel tubs in the rear so we can see the shock waves in motion through the trunk :headbang: lol

I know i'm a little late to the party but as far as those flex pipe exhaust parts go I think they'd work nicely for you if you decide you need them to reduce vibration. Every FWD car I've seen uses those pipes where the header or downpipe would meet the rest of the exhaust because of how the engine torques forwards and back. I'd think a RWD car would put even less stress on them.

I may still give them a shot, I have plenty of exhaust building ahead of me to think about it lol.

nothing looks sicker then displaying the mechanics, doing a killer job of that!!

now do plexiglass wheel tubs in the rear so we can see the shock waves in motion through the trunk :headbang: lol

Haha imagine keeping clear wheel tubs clean lol

I think there's some confusion here, the pic showing 5 designs was the first "generation", I've made some changes so it will fit properly and place the compressor mounts where I want them, below are the new versions:

s5my.jpg

Based off the V2 designs, I will go with #1 if you have your own custom logo otherwise #3 because racecar (same answer I had for the V1 designs)

Yea that's how I feel also, still haven't thought of a logo/name yet lol.

I can think up creative objects all day long but I've always had a hard time naming things lol.

• Moderators
Yea that's how I feel also, still haven't thought of a logo/name yet lol.

I can think up creative objects all day long but I've always had a hard time naming things lol.

You're known internet-wide as 95Riosnake. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

• Moderators

Name is transferable to the car in my mind. The pseudo shop name is a different story. I have the same problem, but one keeps sticking in my mind and I'm not even sure how good it is.